Old November 1, 2001, 07:36   #1
cort
Warlord

Local Time: 17:44
Local Date: October 31, 2010
game impressions
well, got the game yesterday, installed and played for 7 consecutive hours.. here are my impressions;

game is great. no doubt, but it is not the best game I have ever seen (at least not yet).

i am playing at third difficulty level in a huge map with all 16 civilizations as french. it is currently 700 AD and i am the 13. civ in terms of pop, 11 in manufacturing goods. the AI should not be cheating at this difficulty right?

anyway, one of the most important things i have seen so far is the importance of your starting location. i mean the nearest source of fresh water was at least 15 tiles away which resulted in the population gap. and i have to admit that AI builds cities like rabbits. at the time I had 4, all civs that i had contact with had over 8.

one other thing; research is real slow. I have advanced to Middle ages at 700 AD and acquired almost all of the techs through negotiation. no more than 5 i have personally researched, really. the diplomacy is a big plus to the game.

and the beautiful resource system; even i, being one of the most pathetic civilizations, managed to defeat my british neigbors just because fellow britons lack iron; they lost 4 cities to my mighty swordmen in just two game rounds. piece of cake
one other notable thing; after capturing all my targets, i decided to offer peace to elizabeth. she must have been at a more desperate situation than i had assumed that I had an option saying something like "well, my armies are just near to York, this is your last chance to make peace" which resulted in a couple of techs, lumo sum of gold, and some golds per turn.

building wonders is more stressful than ever, you donot have any indication of their progress so you can never know whether you will complete first or not. I had lost two consecutive races and just managed to build Collosus so far.

and finally, the AI doesnot seem to be good at the culture thing. although i am in a loser position, my colture rating beats most of the civs as I have seen from the histogram.