Old November 1, 2001, 14:35   #1
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 08:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I demand rush building for wonders!!!
Wonder building for a peaceful nation is next to impossible.

yes we can use leaders to beat the ai, but that involves warfare. A peaceful nation cannot beat the ai to any wonders in the higher levels I'm sure (I'm still in lower levels and losing out to the ai in several key wonders. Even on cheaftan the ai has so many cities they are beating me out to many wonders. I can't help it if I started in Australia and haven't had a chance to make any leaders due to lack of warfare)

You cannot build 2 wonders at the same time. This makes sense, but it is still a pain in the ass. I wanted to switch having my higher production city build my most important wonder, but I already have a lower production city building it. I don't want to lose the shields of either city.

I think rush building a wonder is just as realistic as rush building anything else

what isn't realistic is the fact there is no penalty for changing production. How can you take a tank missing an engine (90% complete) and turn it into a plane with no engine? That makes no since at all. I demand a 50% shield penalty for production changes.

but we should be able to rush build everything. What's the point of accumulating mass amounts of gold in democracy?

Last edited by Dis; November 1, 2001 at 15:08.
Old November 1, 2001, 14:49   #2
Roland Ehnström
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:46
Nah, building a wonder should be a "special" feeling - you should not be able to mass-produce wonders or build one in just a few turns.
-- Roland
Old November 1, 2001, 15:02   #3
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

But you can rush build a wonder...by sacrificing a Great Leader. Remember, it's give-and-take and everything has it's cost...
Old November 1, 2001, 15:04   #4
CDN_Harbinger
Settler

Local Time: 10:46
Some interesting thoughts there Dissident. I am in total agreement with your tank/plane analogy.

Are you still able to Disband units to help with building wonders? That's one possible way to get a wonder built faster.

The other option is to increase shield production and sacrifice other city resources. But, I don't own the game yet (and won't for some time) so I am not sure this is a feasible option.

Any other ideas on how to get a Wonder build faster?
Old November 1, 2001, 15:14   #5
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

yeah I know about the great leaders

that's my point about a peaceful nation building wonders

I was stuck in Australia and had no contact and no wars thus no great leaders

you can disband units. But most of mine are low shield units. I have no battleships or aircraft carriers to disband.

I will have to increase shield production like you said and sacrifice population.
Old November 1, 2001, 15:16   #6
Earthling7
Mac
Prince

Local Time: 16:46

You think you can demand anything? No, you can't.

It seems obvious from posts (Europe no game) that Civ3 is a whole different ballgame. One wonder makes sense. It sucks, but makes sense. I halfheartedly agree with you on the production penalty.

I do have to say though that I'm happy that my "usual" strategy (built - democracy - research - AC) won't work this time. That's the whole point in buying a new game