Old November 1, 2001, 15:37   #1
J10
Settler

Local Time: 15:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Okay, I'm backing down to Regent...
Tried 3 games on Monarch... I don't claim to be an expert civ2 player although I did beat Deity once or twice (never played online though). Right now as it stands, for civ3 that is, it seems that it'll be ages before I can even beat Monarch, let alone Deity. My reasons are:

1) AI has an unfair advantage in tech. In one game, 32 turns into the game, I earned my first technology, then in a few turns I met India, and wham, I'm considered backward by them, they are, check this out, two tech(s) ahead of me. Btw, if anyone else hasn't mentioned, scale down your sci to one at the beginning, it's going to take 32 turns to get your first tech ANYWAY (for Chinese which is militaristic and industrial at least, or maybe I've missed something), save the money and buy yourself some techs to keep up.

2) Corruption. As alota peeps already mentioned, and

3) I don't ever get a leader.... okay I'm whinning now but I'm playing as Chinese for heaven's sake, I'm militaristic and my odds of getting a leader shoulld be higher no? One of my elite spearman killed ~30 Mongol riders (set barbarians to raging if you haven't tried that) in the same turn, brave little ba-stard had one health left... and no he didn't become a leader.

4) I don't like kissing a$s. Again, right now as it stands, it seems impossible to keep up with the other civs or not to have them kicking your ass UNLESS you make a lot of compromises. In one game, to my North was the Babaloyains and the Japanese, to my South was India. I refused to gave the Babaloyians my state map (forget what it's called, not the world map anyway), and wham, he declared war on me, in the same turn, wham ba lam, he teamed up with the japs, so the Japanese also declared war on me, next turn, India joined the evil alliance and they also declared war on me. I immediately switched to build a great wall (from a great libarary, you know how important it is to get one especially since they have an unfair advantage in tech) and earned my golden age. I was lucky enough to have kicked Indie's as$, defended myself against the japs but lost miserably to the Babaloyians... sigh. That was my most recent game btw, just gave it up and came here to b|tch a bit

Or maybe, I just sucked. Btw, AI did a great job ultilizing Horsemen and rider's advantage, I can't tell you how many times they've captured my workers and attacked my weak points with those horses... The AI was also smart enough to use a bunch of spearmen to destory my roads to my lux and strategic resources near one of my city whom I only had spearmens. I figure that you need to guard your important resoureces too. It cause civil disorders and a shortage on (that time) iron.

Last edited by J10; November 1, 2001 at 15:42.
Old November 1, 2001, 15:49   #2
J10
Settler

Btw...
Btw... anybody knows how to deal with food posioning? I failed to find the solution in the manual... (that I flipped through a couple of times )
Old November 1, 2001, 23:49   #3
Grunthex
Warlord

Local Time: 08:46
Regarding point 3, you never get a Great Leader off killing barbarians. You MUST fight another civilization. This was done deliberately to prevent Leader farming. At least so said Firaxis pre-release, and all my observations confirm it.
Old November 2, 2001, 00:22   #4
Soren Johnson
PtWDG Gathering StormC4WDG The GooniesC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 ParticipantsApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Realms Beyond
Civilization IV Lead Designer

Local Time: 10:46
Quote:
Originally posted by Grunthex
Regarding point 3, you never get a Great Leader off killing barbarians. You MUST fight another civilization. This was done deliberately to prevent Leader farming. At least so said Firaxis pre-release, and all my observations confirm it.
Also, you are more likely to produce a leader from an offensive victory than a defensive one...
Old November 2, 2001, 01:53   #5
J10
Settler

Cool.
Cool. Thank you both for the tips I also figured out how to deal with the food posioning and diseases now.
Old November 2, 2001, 10:29   #6
Falconius
Prince

Local Time: 10:46
You're backing down to Regent? I'm on my second losing game as Regent, so I think for Game 3, I have to demote myself to Warlord!!!

Oh, the shame....

But I'm glad its a challenging game. I'm really enjoying it.