Old November 1, 2001, 20:44   #1
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 09:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Is there a random map generator in Civ3?
I noticed a few things while playing with the editors.

First, I can't seem to load a map in the editor from a sav. file. Am I doing something wrong?

Second, I can't seem to make a "scenario" from a sav. file or even a game in progress.

Third, there doesn't seem to be any way to reveal the entire map of a game in progress. Am I missing something?

I also wondered about the 9 map types you pick from when you start a new game.This leads me to another question. Is there in fact a random map generator included in Civ3? Or do you just pick from those maps? I've been unable to find out, since I don't know how to reveal the maps from started games. Perhaps players who've gotten further and explored entire maps could compare their maps with the mini maps from the start up sequence?

Thank you.
Old November 1, 2001, 21:10   #2
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Local Time: 16:47
I don´t have the game, but have you tried this?

In the map editor, search for a way to make random map.

If it can be done in the map editor, it is probably done in the game as well.
Old November 1, 2001, 21:14   #3
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Local Time: 10:47
Re: Is there a random map generator in Civ3?
Quote:
Originally posted by techumseh
I noticed a few things while playing with the editors.

First, I can't seem to load a map in the editor from a sav. file. Am I doing something wrong?

Second, I can't seem to make a "scenario" from a sav. file or even a game in progress.

Third, there doesn't seem to be any way to reveal the entire map of a game in progress. Am I missing something?

I also wondered about the 9 map types you pick from when you start a new game.This leads me to another question. Is there in fact a random map generator included in Civ3? Or do you just pick from those maps? I've been unable to find out, since I don't know how to reveal the maps from started games. Perhaps players who've gotten further and explored entire maps could compare their maps with the mini maps from the start up sequence?

Thank you.
You can't edit savegames with the editor, the editor can only modify scenario ("BIC") files, which contain game rules and map data.

You can't make a "scenario" with anything other than the editor. And before someone says anything, yes, we are aware of the inability to place units and cities. As MB mentioned in the chat, those features didn't make it into the editor before the game shipped. At this time I don't have any ETA on if and when those features will be implemented, but I will keep you posted.

At this time you can't remove the "fog of war" during a game.

As for the "9 map types" , I assume you mean the world generation screen. These are not preset maps, they are parameters which are fed into the world generator. So to make a long story short, yes, there is a random map generator in the game.

The other way to make random maps is inside the editor. You can use the New Map function to generate a new map in the editor and it will use the same routines the game uses to create a random map based on your specifications. Also, any random map generated in the editor can be replicated by using its seed number (you'll find it on the status bar, lower right-hand corner).

Dan
Old November 1, 2001, 21:26   #4
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 09:47
Thank you, Dan. I'm glad to hear about the map generator. I'll look forward to the other stuff as well.