Old November 2, 2001, 23:45   #31
CygnusZ
Warlord

Local Time: 15:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Setsuna
I see you're spoon-fed anti-American propaganda over in Australia.
... humph.

It's true, it's true. Everything he said is true. Are you in Middle School or something?

After the election of James Madison as the 3rd president of the United States, a new political ideaology of large Federal Government "began" to spring up. These, federalist republicans were known as the "War Hawks" due to their belief that the United States had to have a larger military.

Meanwhile, in the West, General Henry Harrison (you do know who he is, right) had won a series of battles razing the Native American "Prophetown". The leader of that group, named Tecumseh, was banding together indians at that time. Upon returning he sweared vengance upon the United States for their acts and went north to Canada.

Back in politics land, war was beginning to seem inevitable. Because of Thomas Jefferson's embargo mistake the tensions between the New World and Europe were at a high. While impressment continued, and America could not find a partner in either England or France (They had tried with France but it had failed). If this situation continued, war would be inevitable.

Back in the New World, Tecumseh made an alliance with the British. The "Warhawks" had decided that military action was appropriate. However, after the decleration of war had already gone into effect the British took pack their policy of Impressment, the condition upon which the embargo was first established. However, the warhawks could not lose face, and decided to go to war against british "Greed and Arrogance". The idea was to rip a chunk off of Canada. Every wonder why the Americans got the "Expansionist" tag? America is like plague to other countries in this time period, it just eats at them.

So there you go, America fought that war for terrible reasons. It was a stupid war, a horrible stalemate, and basically the British got to raze Washington DC. Sorry if you don't like it, that's history.
Old November 3, 2001, 00:12   #32
mactbone
Prince

Local Time: 10:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Funny how America is the result of British expansion and greed... and bad relations with Native Americans...

Don't forget all that expansionism after the War of 1812, you know, those isolationist and laissez fairre(sp) policies really lend themselves to waging war with countries for no good reason...
-Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"