Old November 1, 2001, 23:23   #1
ToeTruck
Warlord

Local Time: 10:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Beakers?
Do beakers produced actually effect the time until discovery?

It's early, 3850 BC and I'm researching Bronze Working. At 5.5.0, I get one beaker a turn meaning discovery is 26 turns away.

When I drop to 8.2.0, I get "Bronze Working (--turns)"; discovery will never happen. Makes sense to me because I'm producing 0 beakers.

However, when I switch to 1.9.0, Bronze Working still 26 turns away. I just doubled my beakers per turn (one -> two), but I don't seem to benefit.

Does the government type affect this? Is this a "display" bug? i.e. discovery really will be in 13 turns? Or is something else going on?

I'm going to experiment, but I thought I'd start this thread just to get your thoughts.

Thanks.

- TT
Old November 1, 2001, 23:44   #2
Soren Johnson
PtWDG Gathering StormC4WDG The GooniesC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 ParticipantsApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Realms Beyond
Civilization IV Lead Designer

Re: Beakers?
Quote:
Originally posted by ToeTruck
Do beakers produced actually effect the time until discovery?

It's early, 3850 BC and I'm researching Bronze Working. At 5.5.0, I get one beaker a turn meaning discovery is 26 turns away.

When I drop to 8.2.0, I get "Bronze Working (--turns)"; discovery will never happen. Makes sense to me because I'm producing 0 beakers.

However, when I switch to 1.9.0, Bronze Working still 26 turns away. I just doubled my beakers per turn (one -> two), but I don't seem to benefit.

Does the government type affect this? Is this a "display" bug? i.e. discovery really will be in 13 turns? Or is something else going on?

I'm going to experiment, but I thought I'd start this thread just to get your thoughts.

Thanks.

- TT
This is not a bug although I can certainly see why it appears to be one. There is a limit to the maximum amount of time it takes to research a tech (32 turns), and the difference between 1 and 2 beakers is not enough to move the research time below the maximum.

For example, if Bronze Working cost 100 beakers, it would take 100 turns if you were producing 1 lab/turn and 50 turns if you were producing 2 labs/turn. However, since it can never take longer than 32 turns, it doesn't matter how many labs you produce. Does that all make sense?
Old November 2, 2001, 00:00   #3
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 09:48
This is being discussed at length in the appropriate forum, Civ3-Strategy...

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=31243
Old November 2, 2001, 00:06   #4
ToeTruck
Warlord

Thanks Soren,

I appreciate the response. And thanks Steve, I'll be switching over to the strategy forum.

- TT