Old November 12, 2001, 00:23   #31
belinda9
Warlord

Local Time: 09:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
PS
I also think you should include some of these other guys who jumped in and said they wanted into a game, like common_terry and CommandoAndy and SanskritBoy

First of all, I remember the first (couple) of times I tried to get into a diplogame, and it ended up being the same 6 or 7 guys who had been playing all along; it REALLY pissed me off and made me feel like the whole diplo-thing was some kinda closed fraternity deal that was blowing me off -- and so I think if you're trying to promote diplo as a genre, you're better off getting some new blood in along the way.
Also, if you're going in order of who asked to play I know some of them posted earlier than some of the others. I know you don't "know" if they have the commitment it takes to a diplogame to make it; but you won't unless you give someone a chance. And speaking of commitment.......well, we know at least ONE of the names on your short list has had a problem in the past of actually showing up to play every week (cough, cough, ahem, wink)

But of course, y'all do what you want.
And if any of you other guys I mentioned are seriously committed to getting into this game, by all means, follow up, keep posting here that you're in, byGod!, and speak up for yourselves.
Unless you'd rather just test the waters as a sub......Otherwise, no one's going to take you seriously, and for good reason. (Takes balls to diplo, guys -- so to speak! lol)

Again, add me to the sub pool but take me off the reg list. I lose enough spousal points playing one night a week.
Old November 12, 2001, 04:28   #32
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 01:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I agree we need to expand the pool of playersd and the new volunteers should get priority entry
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old November 12, 2001, 12:01   #33
Makeo
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
King

Local Time: 08:48
ah well thats me then, seeing as though i've never played a diplogame.
Old November 12, 2001, 12:29   #34
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

i m willing to stand aside to allow the three newbiew to play ... Common terry, Commando Andy and Makeo !!!
Old November 12, 2001, 14:45   #35
sanskritboy
Settler

Local Time: 15:48
Tentative list?
Hey Rasputin, don't forget SanskritBoy!

I've never played a diplo game of Civ before, but I've played several games of Diplomacy by email on the afpdip list, which involved a high (ie daily) level of commitment, as well as some serious roleplaying. So hopefully you'll consider me good material for a diplogame even though I've not "proven" it yet in this particular forum...

Anyway, based on previous posts, here is a tentative list of players. Of course, I'm assuming Deity, as thread starter, has the final decision, but that doesn't stop me from being very right-brained and making tons of lists. =)

Players who want in (in order of posting)
1. Deity
2. Frank Johnson
3. Capo
4. Rasputin
5. Common_terry
6. CommandoAndy
7. SanskritBoy (that's me!)
8. Makeo (said by Deity to have contacted him "early on" outside the forum)

Players who said they definitely/probably don't want in:
1. OzzyKP (posted to say no)
2. belinda (posted to say no)
3. Prometheus (posted to say probably shouldn't)

Rasputin said he would step aside to allow new blood, though he seems to want to play.

Makeo seems pretty emphatic about wanting to join, and Deity is enthusiastic about letting him in.

I would love to play, but my worst fear is that I might be thrown on the "B" team if Makeo's backchannel communiquŽ reached deity before my post, which would throw me into spot #8. If Raz stepped aside, we would have 7 players with 4 newbies.

I say we make sure Commando Andy wants to play, as he posted just once and hasn't said anything since. Common Terry has posted twice, and seems pretty excited to join a game. So I guess it's up to Deity to sort all this out! =)

I would humbly suggest that, assuming Commando Andy responds promptly and says he wants in, we go with the 4 newbies, with Rasputin poised to take over a spot permanently if someone doesn't show up consistently. Belinda and/or Prometheus would be good subs if certain people decided to go drinking on Thursday night. =)

Hope my suggestions are mildly helpful, and I look forward to the game!

--ryan, aka "SanskritBoy"
Old November 12, 2001, 17:01   #36
CommandoAndy
Chieftain

I'm still here and interested. I don't know that I can display the same role playing imagination and/or literary skills as Capo, but with me you would be getting a dedicated player. One who stays to the end, no matter how desperate my situation in the game may become. So, I would like to still be considered.
Old November 13, 2001, 00:23   #37
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

ok sounds like we have a 7 player team. I will gladly step aside to see 4 new Diplo players inducted...

Belinda has already asked to be included on sub list and so I wil ltoo, perhpas Prom cna join as sub too, that means we have 7 players and 3 possible subs. I know Belinda , Prom andI are good subs so you guys should feel free t otake next step and plan the game.

I think a MADE map by CapTVK would be good, with Capo doing his usual magic with mod pack.

I beleive Capo will need things like Civ name, Civ flag, Civ leaders names and titles...

Capo please post what other info you need for a mod pack form players.

Well go guys hav efun...!!!!
Old November 13, 2001, 03:29   #38
deity
DiploGamesCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 03:48
Capo! HELP!
Come back - all is forgiven

I didn't mean to arrogantly say I was in charge of all this, just because I started the thread!

And I only started it cos Prom told me to! And I always do what he says and now he pikes out on us!!

Anyway, looks like a good crew as Raz says and subs will definitely be needed. Raz should cover for the ever reliable Capo!

My involvement in this game is subject to HOTW2 of course but it looks like it's folded

OK, so Capo are you keen on doing a modspak and organising map etc? My time is very limited, othewise I would set it all up.

It makes this old man tired just to think of it.....
Old November 13, 2001, 16:22   #39
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

i think i should learn more about this mod making, seems civ 3 MP is probalby no go any wqay so we will have lots of time one civ 2
Old November 13, 2001, 22:05   #40
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Local Time: 11:48
Careful folks not to let anticipation over this game cloud your thinking about the end of HOTW2. This game is still conditional on HOTW2, and hopefully that won't end now in such an inglorious fashion.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old November 13, 2001, 22:22   #41
Makeo
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
King

Local Time: 08:48
i don't care what map we play on.

but i'm the aztecs.
Old November 14, 2001, 06:03   #42
deity
Emperor

Non HOTW2'ers
I think the non-HOTW2'ers should start this game this Thurs night otherwise momentum will be lost. The HOTW2 players can then be subs or rotational players for this one. Good idea.

This means:

Frank Johnson
Common_terry
CommandoAndy
SanskritBoy
Makeo

can get started, maybe leave AI civs so we can join in if appropriate.

Who has a broadband connection to host?
Old November 14, 2001, 22:22   #43
sanskritboy
Settler

I'll host, maybe...
I MIGHT be able to host, but we would have to test out the connection. I'm on a university network, so I get very good speed, but I need to make sure the uni firewall doesn't bar people from joining a game. Anyone who wants to test this out should ICQ me (24730758) and we can do a test run. If all goes well, I'd love to host. I'm running a fairly speedy computer (600 mhz ibook) as well.

--ryan
Old November 14, 2001, 23:17   #44
Frank Johnson
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Hey deity, lets not start yet!

Although I haven't tested the improved network here, you remember what happened to me before.

I want to help mod the game anyway. Does everyone want to keep the mods made in HOTW? I want to add the quasi-anti-howitizer infantry, and I love tinkering with this kinda stuff anyway, I want to throughly take a look at what was changed, and maybe suggest a few changes more and mess with graphics. heheh.

Mna I just took a look at the current mods. MAN! Do you guys play with this? The recon plane has a defense of 5......I think its a little high even if it's HP and FP are low, they are almost descent bomber stoppers

Here's some suggestions.......

Lose apline troops, introduce infantry at machine tools (machine guns) 6/5/1 2/1

LR fighters - 5/3/1 2/2 These would move like bombers so they could be escourted. +10 sheilds from fighters. Advanced Flight.

Do y'all want to have civ specific units?

Its easy enough. There are 12 special tech slots, so we'd just have to dig 2 more up, I'm sure we could snip the tech tree somewhere.

You just give each civilization 1 "nationality" tech at the start. Then you set the other tech at the proper time for the special unit to appear in the game. You make the special unit tech require the nationality tech as well as the proper tech in the tree line to research.

So if I wanted Iowa class battleships, I'd just give myself Frank tech.......then set up "Frank's special unit tech" to require both automoible (for regular battleships) and Frank tech.

Then of course you could steal the techs :P
We'd have to make a house rule not to have the other civs build them if you managed to steal that tech. Sigh..........

But it would be cool if we all had our own units.

Last edited by Frank Johnson; November 14, 2001 at 23:43.
Old November 15, 2001, 19:06   #45
deity
Emperor

cross post to HOTW2
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...050#post605641
Old November 15, 2001, 19:37   #46
deity
Emperor

Non HOTW2er's
You guys should read the HOTW2 thread as it effects this game.

I see perhaps three games now with overlapping players.

1) HOTW2 posible continuation - if it ever gets decided!

2) A normal random diplo with whoever can start today

3) A diplo with a fully fledged modpack! Get moving on this guys. Frank, can you maybe sort it out and talk to Capo and CapTVK to assimilate most of the suggestions in this and the HOTW2 thread? I'm just too busy. I like all your ideas as long as I'm Captain Deiticus of THE DEITIANS! (pref blue as I'm colour blind - in the HOTW2 game I couldn't see the difference in my colour and Zulus!!!)
Old November 15, 2001, 20:23   #47
Docker
Settler

Rasputin still can't post!!
Quote:
The new units sound fun Frank, but better make sure it keeps game balanced.... I prefer a mod pack with Rasputin as leader of the Mad Monks (Any Colour)
Any takers for a game today ,, now ????
Old November 19, 2001, 01:56   #48
common_terry
Chieftain

yes, lets form teams!
i would love to form a team great idea rasputin
i love the wonders
i do think leos and bachs and michs should cost 200 more shields
i am against all city bribing as well. diplomats prevent most war.

peace in the real world, terry
Old November 19, 2001, 02:10   #49
GNGSpam
Warlord

Do I fit into this? Deity give me some feed back

BTW Im totally against any restrictions on player to player interaction, ie, rules against war, alliances, backstabbing, etc.

Players should dictate whats allowed and whats not via ingame behaviour. If someones overally aggressive, build an alliance against him. If someone backstabs, do not trust him. If someone forms an alliance, for an alliance against them.

No need for artificial rules in that respect.

With game mechanic rules, I have zero prefrence and will accept nearly anything.
Old November 19, 2001, 02:24   #50
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

I tend to agree with Chris, The formation of any rules inhibiting interaction should be anethema to a Diplo game. What ever happens , happens. If you find people fighting wars for no reasons, then get a coalition to fight them. If not , who cares.

LEts jsut get some idea of who in and who out and whether we paly real world or created world, I prefer an unknown world created by an independant person like CapTVK
Old November 19, 2001, 04:11   #51
Frank Johnson
King

Okay
I will do my best to get to capo in time. I don't know when you guys want to start this game, I thought this one might be a ways off since it is involving HOTW2, but if its sooner we will just have to see how it works out.

I'll start with HOTW2's edits and add on from there. If its not liked we can always trash some or all of it, plus I don't think I'll be hacking up the anicent times too much so I might get even more time. We will see.

I always like to ban city bribes, but that's about as far as I go on rule limitations. Take a pole....lol.....
Old November 19, 2001, 05:11   #52
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

the problem Frank is that HOTW2 Crashed out, whatever is set up this time , will need to address the end game slowness and how to actually end the game..

Do we end it with Space ship, Globla conquest or other, I hate Space ship and would not want it in a gam of diplo.... I actually prefer not to have any wonders, excpet perhpas Manhattans !!!
Old November 19, 2001, 09:17   #53
drake
King

Local Time: 11:48
Quote:
(pref blue as I'm colour blind - in the HOTW2 game I couldn't see the difference in my colour and Zulus!!!)
You didnt seem to have any problems telling the difference when you smoked me out of south america!
Old November 19, 2001, 10:18   #54
Prometheus
Warlord

Ha… He actually asked me if he had got all your units, namely partisans because he couldn’t tell.
Old November 19, 2001, 14:37   #55
Frank Johnson
King

Well guys, you COULD play on a medium map instead of a huge one, it might be cramped but it's the easist way to reduce end game lag.

Other than that the mod it's self doesn't really come into the equasion at all when it comes to lag.

I have made a mod real quick. It's mainly graphics changes...(no more yellow jump suits) but there are a few changes.

Apline troops = gone
Infantry 5/5/1 2/1 50 req. Machine Tools

Frigate upgraded to Man-O-War and given +1 defense. All other stats remain the same.

Storm Troopers cost dropped by 10 sheilds.

Dreadnoughts are now available with refining.
8/8/4 3/2 100 naval unit

Jet Proplusion is a new Tech. It requires rocketry and mass production. Space Flight now requires Jet Proplusion instead of rocketry.

Jet Fighters 6/4/12 2/2 70 Jet Proplusion
Jet Bombers 13/4/10(2) 2/2 140 Jet Proplusion

All other HOTW2 mods apply. Take a look at it and see if you like it.
Old November 19, 2001, 14:39   #56
Frank Johnson
King

Well guys, you COULD play on a medium map instead of a huge one, it might be cramped but it's the easist way to reduce end game lag.

Other than that the mod it's self doesn't really come into the equasion at all when it comes to lag.

I have made a mod real quick. It's mainly graphics changes...(no more yellow jump suits) but there are a few changes.

Apline troops = gone
Infantry 5/5/1 2/1 50 req. Machine Tools

Frigate upgraded to Man-O-War and given +1 defense. All other stats remain the same.

Storm Troopers cost dropped by 10 sheilds.

Dreadnoughts are now available with refining.
8/8/4 3/2 100 naval unit

Jet Proplusion is a new Tech. It requires rocketry and mass production. Space Flight now requires Jet Proplusion instead of rocketry.

Jet Fighters 6/4/12 2/2 70 Jet Proplusion
Jet Bombers 13/4/10(2) 2/2 140 Jet Proplusion

I cant post the mod here.

Maybe I will work on my website and post it there. But you can ICQ, AIM, MSN, or email me and I will send it.

Dangime 2896875
Old November 19, 2001, 15:10   #57
Frank Johnson
King

Hey guys.......

Seems to me that you are having alot of trouble with the lag, so besdies playing a medium map why not consider increasing the riot factor(with deity level) and decrasing the max pop before needing aquaducts and sewer, maybe to 5 and 10 or 4 and 8.

These are all I can think of that might reduce it.
Old November 20, 2001, 17:30   #58
The Capo
DiploGames
King

Capo's usual arrogant self.... on the comeback...
Alright everyone, I hereby use my own self-fulfilling arrogance to hereby declare this game HOTW3. Therefore it has Capo's stamp of approval and its not some clusterf*ck of a game.

To start; Dangime everything you have done is appreciated but now null and void. Like the Aztec emperor Montezuma's refusal to wear the same outfit twice in his lifetime I refuse to use the same modpack twice in my lifetime.

In order for me to start the modpack I am going to require the following things from every player.

1) I need a damn player's list, a final list. And from what I've heared there is probably going to be seven players. If this is the case we should probably all realize the hell we will go through towards the end game, with that said I need to know the number of players.

2) I need to know what map we are using, is it going to be the map we used in HOTW2? A different world map? A created map?

3) I also need to know everyone's tribes. If the map is fake the tribes should be fake too, which means use some damn creativity and invent an entire culture. If the map is a real map I need to know an ACTUAL country, I refuse to use fake countires on the World map or any other actual map.

4) Included in tribes is a full city list, and I'm talking at least 2-30 city names, I am going to need leader titles for each government (remember if is a real nation I expect actual titles). Further if it is fake country I will need the tribe and adjective for the tribes (tribe - Aztecs, adjective - Aztec). As well as a description of the flag.

5) I need any changes to units or technologies or anything else you guys want, such as Fascism to Communism etc.

Once this is all given to me this bad boy should be created within a week. I also suggest we don't start playing until at least two to three weeks so we can get this all sorted out.

I don't want to play with teams.

I think if we have seven people we should have four players from HOTW2; Deity, Chris, Rasputin and myself I believe would be a very nice group to form the core. Since this is going to be HOTW3 it will have a continuation. Everyone else should be newbies or not as familiar with HOTW2 as the four of us.

I like to put straight up newbies in, so if we have a total newbie that guy is in. If he's gonna learn to play a diplogame he might as well learn from the best.... and Chris, Rasputin and Deity too I guess.

Alright, I gotta get dressed and go to work now, GO TERPS!

One Love.
Old November 21, 2001, 05:08   #59
deity
Emperor

Huh?
I wrote this in another thread before I read Capo's crap

---

I got an intermittent availability coming up due to work.

I can't play this USA Thurs night but can the week after. I'd like to team up with Capo? Or someone who can start off this week then I do the next and so on, subject to our availabilities.

Regardless I think a game should get going this week if Frank/Capo have a modpak ready????

If Frank can't kick off this week maybe team up with Raz?

But I know Makeo and others are ready to go now!

When HOTW3 starts in January we can work out overlaping availability problems then. Maybe HOTW3 becomes a Fri night game?
Old November 21, 2001, 06:49   #60
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

ok looks like we might need to make a decision re what game we are goinhg to play, a HOTW game MUST be played on real world other wise it is not history of the world... This thread was started originalyy to start a new different Diplo game preferably on a Made map...

So do we want two diplo games going... HOTW3 starting perhaps in January on Friday nights and this Dipl ogame starting real soon on Thursday nights...

I vote for two GAMES !!!!!