Old November 2, 2001, 05:40   #1
chumly
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ3: Interface - easily missed tips
General Interface:

Ctrl-C accesses the civlopedia. Use this. A lot. You can use the arrow keys to go back or up. Remember most things can be right clicked to get civlopedia info (except the one place it'd be most intuitive, the production box)

Ctrl-P accesses the preferences screen, CHANGE THESE. I see a lot of people complaining about stuff that can be turned on or off.

Use the number pad and numpad enter to avoid those stupid double click radio buttons.

Shift mousewheel to scroll left and right.

Shift right click on a city to change production.

Right click on a city/stack of units/transport then shift left click on as many sleeping units as you want to wake - much faster than doing them one by one.

Push delete on a queue item to delete it. Shift delete to clear the queue. Shift Q to save it. Q to load it. Queues are set by holding shift when you click on an item.

Double clicking on the Star on your capital will open the Establish Embassy menu, once you have Writing (real intuitive...) Also used for embassy missions in a city with the intelligence agency. Communists have superior spies.

G on the city screen will open the governers menu.

Shift-L pops up the locate city window. Press the first letter of a cities name to locate it. Push a letter multiple times to cycle through multiple cities with the same letter. Hit enter to zoom to the city.

Ctrl-G toggles the grid.

F7 for Wonders of the World (can be handy for choosing targets )

F11 for silly demographic statistics Also has the top five cities.

F8 for Histograph, F9 for palace, F10 for Space Shuttle.

Advisors:

F1-6 for your advisors. Use these. A lot. If there's something you want to do to manage your empire at large, it's probably here. F1 and F3 are your friends. F2 and F4 are tied together. F6 is mostly for reference. F5 is purely for reference.

F1: Domestic Advisor
Right clicking on production on the domestic advisor will let you change it directly. Left clicking on cities will enter them. When you exit, you'll be back at this advisor. You can quickly identify and change production here. If you need to know the best commerce or industry city at a glance, it's here as well. Left click on the various icons (production, maintenence, etc) to sort and reverse sort the list. All costs and incomes are evaluated here, and this is where you change governments or war mobilization.

F2: Trade Advisor
Trade goods can be instantly evaluated, and you can see what other civilizations have to offer you.

F3: Military Advisor
Military units can be upgraded, disbanded, activated from the military advisor. You can also view all units by city to instantly assess weak defensive areas, or by unit, to evaluate your overall military and quickly make broad decisions. Use these, I mean it. Seriously Between these, Zoom, Locate city, the easy Goto commands, you should have NO problems managing your empire as it gets larger. From the view by City screen, left clicking on a city will enter it. From the view by unit screen, left clicking will zoom to the unit, right clicking will give you orders.

You can also identify your captured workers here, and evaluate the strength of any enemy you are at war with. Finally, don't miss the 'units supported' box here, this is the fastest way to check how many units you can support free of charge, and how many you have total.

F4: Foreign Advisor:
Double click on a civ to get info. Use this to plan out your diplomatic alliances against rival civs, or to get advance warning of alliances in place, so you don't find yourself in a 3-1 situation.

F5: Culturual Advisor:
One of the less useful advisors, not much manipulatable data here, but you can get info on the culture value of old structures, giving you an idea of the importance of age with culture. Either you're going to use culture, or you're going to have it used against you.

F6: Science Advisor:
Don't forget you can set a long term goal by clicking down the tree. Early on, you'll probably want to choose one at a time based on what your empire needs, but later, you can go two or three down the line occasionally to save yourself the bother.

Worker Specific Goodies:

Ctrl-R builds a road to a destination.

Ctrl-Shift-R builds a railroad to a destination.

Ctrl-N builds a road network throughout your empire to all resources.

Ctrl-B with a worker builds a road to a destination and builds a colony there.

Ctrl-I builds Irrigation from a source to a city.

Shift-I improves closest city.

A automates settler (use this if you like to play civ blindfolded, or dose your settlers with hallucinoginic drugs)

Shift-A is *ok*, it only does untouched terrain. Use this if you know the boundries of your empire well and you don't mind losing fine control at the potential cost of 1 gold.

Shift-F to clear all forests.
Shift-J to clear all jungles.
Shift-C to clear all pollution. This can be handy if pollution is a regular problem for you, and you've got a good rail network.

Unit Specific Goodies:

C recenters on the currently selected unit, as will clicking on the unit box itself.

Click and hold in a square to goto. Or push G. Or click and drag for the unit itself. Combine with Z to zoom out.

Fortifying a damaged unit will reactivate it once fully healed.

General Tips:

Units gain +1 sight range on top of hills or mountains. Mountains block line of sight.

Rivers give +1 commerce to all adjacent squares.

Flood plains look similar to rivers - they have extra green on the shore. Don't miss them.

Access to fresh water (rivers or lakes) is required to irrigate, but remember you can build a long chain of irrigation through your empire from even one source.

Cities do not need an aqueduct if they are built by fresh water.

Resources must be a) within your borders or have a colony built on them (B from a worker, or Ctrl-B to road to and then build colony) b) connected to your trade network via roads, harbors, and airports.

Resources can expire. New resources can pop up. There are ALWAYS enough resources for all civs. But they aren't always in the right place for you... Trade or go to war for critical resources, or pay the consequences.

Many diplomatic events last for 20 turns - trade agreements, embargos, mutual protection pacts, etc.

Many diplomatic tools cannot be used until you have acquired writing. Other advances give other diplomatic options. (Ctrl-C!)

Completing a project with the whip under Despotism or Communism kills citizens and creates an unhappy citizen for 20 turns.

edit: changed layout

Last edited by chumly; November 2, 2001 at 14:07.
Old November 2, 2001, 05:57   #2
ElitePersian
Prince

Local Time: 15:49
Are these in the manual somewhere? cause if they arent i wanna make a note of them.
Old November 2, 2001, 08:22   #3
Badtz Maru
Prince

Local Time: 09:49
Shift-N to instruct a worker to build a network of roads connecting all your cities and all resources within your border.

On the Domestic Advisor screen, right click on what a city is building on the city list and you can change it right there. SO convenient.

I've noticed that some people have managed to miss the icons at the bottom of the screen that show what a selected unit can do in it's square. I usually use the hotkeys now, but it can be useful when you forget what to hit to clear jungle, or to find out if you can build a mine on that square.
Old November 2, 2001, 09:07   #4
ticktock
Chieftain

Thanks guys, this is the most useful post I've seen so far!
Old November 2, 2001, 09:11   #5
ElitePersian
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Badtz Maru
Shift-N to instruct a worker to build a network of roads connecting all your cities and all resources within your border.
Whoa, you can do that?? Does it say that in the instruction manual?
Old November 2, 2001, 09:18   #6
GodSpawn
Prince

Hopefully we can keep this thread going! If anyone who knows of any other shortcuts could post them here, Chumly can keep adding them to his first message until we've got a complete list.

Preferably by 16th Nov! ;-)
Old November 2, 2001, 09:21   #7
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 11:49
Quote:
Originally posted by Badtz Maru

DUDE thats awesom!
Old November 2, 2001, 09:29   #8
Ozymandous
Prince

Wow, most useful thread I have seen so far, thanks!
Old November 2, 2001, 09:38   #9
Scott_S
Settler

BRAVO!

I missed most of these, including the top 5 cities, demographics and the wonders.

EXCELLENT information!

Thanks Much,

Scott
Old November 2, 2001, 09:38   #10
wolf7
Settler

Push delete on a queue item to delete it. Shift delete to clear the queue. Shift Q to save it. Q to load it.

Am I missing something? I can't seem to figure out how to set up a queue. All it says in the build screen is 2. empty or something like that. I've clicked on everything and I can't seem to find anything in the civilpedia or the manual about it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old November 2, 2001, 09:43   #11
Sky Dog
Settler

Yes, these are in the manual. It has been said before, but it is DEFINITELY worth reading that sucker cover to cover. There are lots of little goodies in there. SHIFT-N is my new best friend since reading the manual Wednesday at lunch.
Old November 2, 2001, 09:44   #12
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 17:49
This is the best and most innovative thread in days/weeks/months(not sure how long!)! I just saved it, as the ineligent guy I am. Oh, why don't Sid Meier live in norway! ( )
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old November 2, 2001, 09:44   #13
Pogue Mahone
Settler

Does the demographics screen tell you the population of your entire empire? The only way I can figure out to do it now is to get the populations for your various cities and add them up. Has anyone else figured out a better way?
Old November 2, 2001, 09:55   #14
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Sky Dog
Yes, these are in the manual. It has been said before, but it is DEFINITELY worth reading that sucker cover to cover. There are lots of little goodies in there. SHIFT-N is my new best friend since reading the manual Wednesday at lunch.
It's good that I always read the manual, then! So, if I only had the game...
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old November 2, 2001, 09:59   #15
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

could someone post a summary of what the demographics contain?
Old November 2, 2001, 10:00   #16
cort
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Mahone
Does the demographics screen tell you the population of your entire empire? The only way I can figure out to do it now is to get the populations for your various cities and add them up. Has anyone else figured out a better way?
demographic tells it of course.. together with your rank..
Old November 2, 2001, 10:41   #17
Pogue Mahone
Settler

Thanks, cort
Old November 2, 2001, 11:36   #18
Steve Clark
King

Excellent thread.

ps SkyDog, good to see here finally! Bucc
Old November 2, 2001, 12:04   #19
Sky Dog
Settler

Bucc:

I've lurked here for quite some time, just haven't posted much. These poor guys don't know what has hit 'em with the dawn of the ravings of this madman.
Old November 2, 2001, 12:29   #20
Steve Clark
King

Ben:

Ah, but nothing can be compared to the Madness of Yin and his kind. Makes our old crowd seems like a bunch of amatuers.
Old November 2, 2001, 13:18   #21
IBNobody
Chieftain

You forgot...

CTRL-E - Establish Embassies
CTRL+SHIFT+E - Plant Spy
SHIFT+E - Conduct Espionage

BTW: The espionage commands are TERRIBLE. If you don't know the hotkey, you can't plant spies. ::grumbles::

- Nobody
Old November 2, 2001, 13:19   #22
IBNobody
Chieftain

You forgot...

CTRL-E - Establish Embassies
CTRL+SHIFT+E - Plant Spy
SHIFT+E - Conduct Espionage

- Nobody
Old November 2, 2001, 13:57   #23
donarumo
Warlord

It seems obvious they should have included a quick tip card with all the shortcut keys. Most of these are in the guide but some are not.

Also, mostly because I'm a mouse person, I wish there was some way to access these functions with a mouse even if it meant (as an option and not for everyone) cluttering up the interface with menus similar to SMAC. SMAC had some good menus!

-- (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)
Old November 2, 2001, 14:42   #24
skink
Settler

Also,
[ctrl]-[shift]-G pops up a list of cities that you can select for the unit to go to.
Old November 2, 2001, 14:44   #25
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

Right click on a city to view the units inside it.
Click on units to wake from fortify,
Hold shift and click to wake more than one.
Old November 2, 2001, 15:27   #26
Soren Johnson
PtWDG Gathering StormC4WDG The GooniesC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 ParticipantsApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Realms Beyond
Civilization IV Lead Designer

This one in non-obvious, unfortunately, but very useful:

Shift+Right-Click on cities to change production...
Old November 2, 2001, 15:45   #27
Soren Johnson
PtWDG Gathering StormC4WDG The GooniesC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 ParticipantsApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Realms Beyond

Quote:
Originally posted by Soren Johnson Firaxis
This one in non-obvious, unfortunately, but very useful:

Shift+Right-Click on cities to change production...
oh, I also wanted to mention that the interface is designed so that you do not have to ever go to the city screen if you don't want to (in fact, that is how I play...) I am curious if anyone has been playing this way, or have the short-cuts been hidden too well?
Old November 2, 2001, 16:15   #28
Zealot
King

Local Time: 16:49
Quote:
Originally posted by Soren Johnson Firaxis
I am curious if anyone has been playing this way, or have the short-cuts been hidden too well?
Are they in the manual for players to find them?

Edit: Or, more important, are they stated in the online help of the game?

Last edited by Zealot; November 2, 2001 at 16:40.
Old November 2, 2001, 17:57   #29
Soren Johnson

Quote:
Originally posted by Zealot

Are they in the manual for players to find them?

Edit: Or, more important, are they stated in the online help of the game?
well, everything is in the manual AFAIK, but for people who just like to jump in, it might not be so easy...
Old November 2, 2001, 18:11   #30
Blunderdog
Warlord

Local Time: 07:49
I'm at work, so if this is in the manual, shoot me. Is there any way to find out when your trade agreements end? Or when you can end them without starting a war?