Old November 2, 2001, 13:26   #1
smellymummy
King

Local Time: 07:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
we love the king day stats
Hi,

Has anyone noticed the lack of information given about we love the king day? Theres nothing in the manual that breaks it down according to the different governments.

Anyone got some information?

I know that it appears to be reducing corruption and waste, but asides from that I dont know...
Old November 2, 2001, 14:36   #2
KoalaBear33
Warlord

Local Time: 10:51
Well, there are a lot of information missing from the manual. I don't know why they didn't include a technical section at the end which talks about the specifc differences. For example, I have no idea what is the difference in AI difficulty, except for the fact that everything is even on the Regent difficulty. What bonuses does the AI get at higher diff?

KoalaBear33
Old November 2, 2001, 15:54   #3
Slartibartfast
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:51
Sigh
I reckon some of this stuff is in the README-file supplied with the game. Is it illegal to post this file somewhere if we unlucky Europeans promise to be good girls and boys and buy the game?
Old November 2, 2001, 17:47   #4
rockville
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Chieftain

Sorry, there's not a whole lot in the README file. Maybe I'll go back tonight and give you the gist of it, but there's nothing there that is earth-shattering...
Old November 2, 2001, 18:17   #5
KoalaBear33
Warlord

I don't think it's illegal to post the README file... Infogrames likely doesn't care so here it is... it isn't that helpful mind you...

KoalaBear33
Attached Files:
File Type: txt readme.txt (24.5 KB, 40 views)
Old November 2, 2001, 19:01   #6
Yohan
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:51
I thumbed through the Prima strategy guide, and a lot of that info including how the difficulty levels affect AI cheating is in there. However, I didn't feel like it was worth spending money on.
Old November 2, 2001, 19:11   #7
WhiteElephants
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Yohan
I thumbed through the Prima strategy guide, and a lot of that info including how the difficulty levels affect AI cheating is in there. However, I didn't feel like it was worth spending money on.
Ah Ha! Yet another marketing scam. Half the info in the manual, the other half in the Prima Guides. Damn! This is getting ridiculous!
Old November 2, 2001, 19:19   #8
joey703
Settler

Local Time: 07:51
Re: we love the king day stats
Quote:
Originally posted by smellymummy
Hi,

Has anyone noticed the lack of information given about we love the king day? Theres nothing in the manual that breaks it down according to the different governments.

Anyone got some information?

I know that it appears to be reducing corruption and waste, but asides from that I dont know...
All it says in the manuel is that we love the king day's affect is dependent upon your civ's attributes.
Old November 2, 2001, 19:21   #9
WhiteElephants
King

It probably goes something like this:

Prima pays Firaxis for some kind of rights and information to publish about the game under the condition that Firaxis doesn't publish too much of the details in the manual. So, in effect, you we're paying out both ends. Soon you'll just buy a disc at the store and have to download the patch to make the frigin' box that you have to print out on your printer and paste and fold together. Better yet, no box, no game, no nothing. Everything is downloaded and you own absolutely nothing expect string after string of zeros and ones. Wonderful!

It's a freakin' strategy game for christ sakes! It's all about the rules! All the mircomanagment-nit-picky-rules! Rules, man! That's what I want to know about!

Apology's for my rant.
Old November 2, 2001, 19:36   #10
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 11:51
MY manual says this:
No citizens unhappy, at least half happy, pop. over six.
It's in the manual, if I were at home I'd look for it, but I know its in there.
Old November 2, 2001, 19:49   #11
WhiteElephants
King

Quote:
Originally posted by HalfLotus
MY manual says this:
No citizens unhappy, at least half happy, pop. over six.
It's in the manual, if I were at home I'd look for it, but I know its in there.
Those sound like the conditions required to create a "We Love the King Day", not the effects of.

Disclaimer: I don't have the game, I'm just *****ing.
Old November 2, 2001, 20:17   #12
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 11:51
Oops.
Old November 2, 2001, 20:20   #13
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:51
So what exactly does a We Love The King day do? I haven't been able to discern it...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old November 2, 2001, 20:34   #14
kamosa
Settler

Local Time: 15:51
Far be it for me to break up a good paranoid rant about why the "we love the king" stats aren't in the manual, but I bet it was left out for a far different reason then you propose. Let us take a journey into the distant past... say three months ago....

Manual Writer: Uh, can you give me the stats on the "we love the king" thing.

Progammer: Leave me alone and ask the designer.

Manual Writer: (this time to designer) Uh, can you give me the stats on the "we love the king" thing.

Designer: Ask the progammer.

MW: I did, he sent me to you.

Designer: Well I don't know, we're changing that value every day in play testing.

MW: Well my print deadline is tomorrow, do you think you'll have it nailed down by then?

Designer: Nope, but I can tell you that it will vary based on which government the player chooses.

End Scene.

And that my friends is how stuff gets left out of the manual. The truth is that the manual has to be done far in advance of when the game ships, so details get left out. For the most part they know how the game will look, and how the controls work, but all the little details like the exact effect of "we love the king" gets changed right up to the last minute.

Guides like Prima can get their books out much quicker, so they come on later in the proccess, when you have more nailed down. There fore, they get the key little details.

In addition, most game companies count on sites like Apolyton to pick up the slack, so they don't worry about stuffing the boxes with last minute addins that explain the last minute changes.

I worked at a game company and this manual deadline vs. game not finished issue came up all the time.
Old November 2, 2001, 20:49   #15
WhiteElephants
King

I don't buy that load of bull for one minute! It's not paranoid enough! In fact, I'd put money on it that you're Sid's double login, or better yet, your're the imposter of Sid's double login. Never fear, I'll get to the bottom of this!

Old November 2, 2001, 21:07   #16
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I guess we will just have to find out by good ol' trial and error. Ill help in this after the 19th, when infogames ( ) actually allows Australians to buy the game like the rest of the world...

But yeah, unless a kind Firaxian wants to post some info on this