Old November 2, 2001, 19:51   #1
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Provost Speaks on Civ3
Yes, as you can tell by the logo used for this thread, it is a definite thumbs up!

At first when I saw it I found it difficult to get into in the tutorial, and I was afraid of another CtP for a moment, after all, the graphics are of a similar standard (this is a good thing BTW, clear and easily visible and impressive, which was the only redeeming feature of CtP, which I played twice, found it tedious, and deleted it. Whatever they'd changed in CtP, they'd sucked the civ magic out of it, something that was definitely present in abundance in SMAC though).

After a couple of abortive attempts at starting a game and being left behind, I have thought things out and got stuck into a real good game. On a low difficulty level (Warlord) but it is giving me a chance to get used to the game without ruthless opposition. Even for warlord, the opposition is a bastard, very impressive. Knows how to grow and use military power. I am impressed.

I have enjoyed exploring, looking for trading partners to exchange between, but they seem to be very belligerent at times. I have found the trading system gives a real reason to actually do things, ie, go to war and to want something.

I have definitely found it more similar to the civ line of games than to SMAC, although this is obviously a desired effect with the nature of the civ line of games. But it is very refined and works very well, more so than even SMAC (which is (or was) the de facto civ-lineage game IMO).

Well, that is all I can say. I've got refining coming up and I am just hoping that oil falls somewhere within my territory

A few things though. I still haven't acquired the means of getting armies as even though I have had elite fighters doing combat to annexe the English on my continent, leaders seem to be so rare that it never quite happens. How do you get them?

Also a few problems with the UU in upgrade lines, but I have mentioned this one in the help forums.

So overall, a definite yes, and approval. No problems on my computer. It is very stable on this system. In many, many hours of play already, not the remotest signs of a crash or any difficulty running on here.

I definitely await an expansion pack to see what they can add to the game peripherally (eg, new civs or units or techs for example).

Everything about it lives up to what I wanted of a civ-class game. It has me hooked, and the 'just one more turn' thing has certainly kicked in again (a 6am finish with a 4am finish the past two nights, and two afternoons taken off work).

Excellent!

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old November 2, 2001, 20:20   #2
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 11:52
About the leaders, I was about halfway through industrial ages in my second full game that I got a leader. I read in these forums that its a 1 in 16 chance of elite unit turning into leader if it wins the battle. Could be just BS though.
I made a quick scenario that allows workers to build armies, just to test them out. I think armies should be more prevelent.
Old November 2, 2001, 20:47   #3
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Well I am going now. I haven't played civ3 for 3 hours now and withdrawal symptoms are kicking in. See y'all later

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old November 2, 2001, 23:08   #4
Simpson II
Prince

Local Time: 15:52
Nice review. Bravo!

Now the only question I need answering is just where you found it.
Old November 2, 2001, 23:38   #5
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 09:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Simpson II
Nice review. Bravo!

Now the only question I need answering is just where you found it.
He flew to Canada to buy it, then flew home.
Old November 3, 2001, 00:32   #6
Gangerolf
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

He flew to Canada to buy it, then flew home.
That's a ****ing good idea
I'm going to L'Ance aux Meadows to see "Vinland" soon, don't know if there's a game shop there though.
Old November 3, 2001, 00:50   #7
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

Local Time: 10:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Gangerolf

That's a ****ing good idea
I'm going to L'Ance aux Meadows to see "Vinland" soon, don't know if there's a game shop there though.
Well, of course there is a game shop there. (according to my logic, anyways) Overpriced shops are very common near tourist areas/tourist traps, espically in the US, and I think the US culture is taking over Canada.