Old November 2, 2001, 21:28   #1
connorkimbro
Emperor

Local Time: 09:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
tech trading exploit
Hello all. i've found a rather nifty way to exploit trading. perhaps ya'll can expand on this, i've only just thought of this, and havn't tried to apply it to other things.

I'm still in the first game that i'm doing decent in, i havn't beaten the game yet. . and the AI's are staying pretty even with me, technologically. Once in a while i gain a tech ahead of them or so, but then they get other techs that i don't have and we trade. no big deal.

This time, i decided to see what they'd offer me for a tech i had and they didn't. they offered me a nice lump of gold, world maps, and. . this is the important part, 29 gold per turn (for 20 turns)
SO i thought hey thats kinda neat. lemme try it again. i went to every civ and said "hey. . what will you gimmie for this tech?" . . they ALL included gold per turn, averaging right around 20 gold per turn. now, with all that extra gold per turn, i can pump up my science rate and lower my tax rate. Might as well let the enemy civs fund my technological research right? this will of course lead to faster tech discoveries, which i can then sell again in the same fasion. it works pretty damn well.

-theonion.com
Old November 2, 2001, 22:11   #2
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Yep, I found this out too. Quite nice getting 100+ gold per turn in only tribute. One civ offered 40 per turn . That is quite nice, but they still seem to be leading me in tech.
Old November 2, 2001, 22:51   #3
connorkimbro
Emperor

right now i'm getting 562 gold per turn from other civs. and i'm maintaining the tech advantage.

-theonion.com
Old November 2, 2001, 23:14   #4
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

I use a similar technique when waging war.
I'm an isolationist at first in the game...if someone declares war on me, I give tech to everyone else in the game in exchange for them going in a military alliance against the person who attacked me.

In one turn, usually almost everyone declares war on my enemy. They're too busy fighting so many fronts they don't even attack me.