Old November 2, 2001, 22:03   #1
liupang
Settler

Local Time: 15:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Anyone beat Deity yet? and my experience ...
I have played this game for 2 days and I haven't play any other level except deity. Maybe I am just being too harsh on myself(or too cocky for that matter ), since I have to admit civIII's deity is SO MUCH HARDER than civ1, civ2, or SMAC( all those three I beat pretty much the hardest level on first 3 days, w/o save "n" load) .

I already tried several games. One of the best game , with chinese I get Monarch around 850 BC, and then I am beating up guys with my shining knights . I was at a big war with the most advance country, and I was thinking after beat up this one, absord all of his cities and wonders, I may just win this deity game. I also get lucky and acquired a leader around 700BC. Hoola! my 3 elite knight army is indestructible!

I was pretty successful , because, I think , I was controlling the vital resources. after trading all the maps I notice that one nation has no horses nor iron, yet I have both. So, when he is actually technology advanced than me( he already have military tradition?) , his best units are longbowman and spearman ). I also get a vast number of luxury items; trading them accounts for majority of my tech advances.

But then it hits me; after I get gunpowder I think I would rock that guy. suddently, I see right in front of me, to my deepest horror, his city emerged a RIFLEMAN! It turns out that some evil nations trade the resources to him! (and he didn't have iron, horse, nor saltpepper!! ). Then I find slowly but surely, his chivary show up, one, two, three then in hordes. And then that guy signed a mutual protection pact with another of my neighbour, who happened to be the strongest guy in game. And I realize it is time to go bed Well, it was fun when it lasts....(the time was around 600AD...)

Well, I definitely think civ3 is still beatable on deity level. Especially for military nations, you can just keep conquering and pick up techs when others ask peace , or trade those strategic resources for key tech. For other civs, though, I think have to adopt a different play style, since Scinece comes really SLOW now. and boy Do AI expands really fast in deity level---you would be lucky to have decent places to build 5 cities before every nation extends their border to your capitol

Maybe if you are religious you can just build up culture and be a totally whore . That idea is entertaining but I don't have time to try it out, before I beat the deity at least once first

Now, I think best chance, especially before any major exploit was found, I think is to play the aztec Man, you got to love those elite jaguar warriors and goto golden age is as easy as turn on the lamp switch
... I am in a new game already , it's 2100 BC, I just conquered my first enemy city. I have a good size army, 2 vet spearman, 3 (1 elite 2 vet ) archer, 3 elite jags, and rolling to the next city !

Anyway...you guys's stories? Please note: DEITY only. (not to mean disrespect, but I don't really think hearing about nice stories about how you beating up the chieftain cpu to be much "fun" )
Old November 2, 2001, 22:07   #2
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 11:53
Most people are talking being beaten up on cheiftain/warlord.
Old November 2, 2001, 22:37   #3
jones
Chieftain

>beatable

Could be.... I'm still playing at emperor. I played my first game on monarch and, while I got beat down early, once I settled down and figured a few things out I was ruling the late Industrial/Modern ages.

Personally, I think you're crazy. I'm gonna spend a lot of time at Emperor, which I find pretty challenging yet beatable, in order to figure out the wonders as well as come up with better strats for building them early. I have a tough time building **any** wonders until the middle ages. If you have any tips, please share.

Civ on...
Old November 3, 2001, 02:19   #4
Pembleton
Prince

Local Time: 09:53
Riflemen don't require any resources.
Old November 3, 2001, 06:08   #5
Grim Legacy
Prince

Local Time: 16:53
Re: Anyone beat Deity yet? and my experience ...
Deity player reporting in.

Not beaten the game yet. It's really tough indeed, but also hugely depends on resources. I used to settle for grassland in Civ2, but now I continually scour for special resources. Without them, you're doomed.

AI expanding, producing, tech really difficult... It's best to play with rivers (science!!!) and having some bonus tiles helps too. With these extras the difficulty is alleviated somewhat.

Also unhappiness and corruption are tough to control. Hmmm so many challenges, so little time!
Old November 3, 2001, 15:31   #6
Diety
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:53
Deity player too...

I use a different startegy, with the same success as you

- play on a huge map
- use one settler-farming city
- make a core of 12-15 citites
- go ASAP to democratic
- get golden age ASAP
- get forbidden palace
- beg for peace
- beg for luxuries
- only build units for defense
- never, ever, ever, ever trade resources or luxuries away
- do trade turns : trade science with every civ
- review your trades every 25-30 turns

What do you think ?
Old November 3, 2001, 19:14   #7
Akillias
Chieftain

ive played diety and i killed the Zulus People
Old November 3, 2001, 19:35   #8
jones
Chieftain

This corruption thing is really crimping my style =[ I love building outposts at chokepoints my trailblazers find, but in this game a city >15 squares from the capital has max corruption. Even if it's only the 3rd or 4th city built!

I still like the game, but I sure miss that true civ feeling of not being "forced" into certain strats. The rails were always there in civ but a good deal of the mystique for me was how well they were disguised

[/rant]
Old November 4, 2001, 17:21   #9
liupang
Settler

Update on my deity journey
Ok it's been 24 hours later, and I am pretty positive I am gonna to have my first deity vic.

With the powerful aztec, I focus on conquering early game instead of building my own cities. My first conquer comes at 2100 BC. After that I build 1 new city mainly to cut down cost on army, and to acquire 4 silks in that square . Then I trade one silk for iron working and it's all cool after that .

My stra at that time is to overlook science at all, since swordman + jaguar are good enough to conquer an ancient enemy. Later I traded horsebackriding, my army is pretty invincible. I think I get very lucky again, since I get my first leader around 1300BC, then build an army. And I then get 2 MORE LEADERS in a row! one of the leader build a sweet sweet forbidden city in the conquered enemy capital . And the other build the sistine Chapel!!!

I get to monarchy around 500BC. I planned to switch to republic, but the war really drags on(mainly due to my stupidity, notes later), so I end up goto democracy directly around 400AD, when I finally destroied that enemy. Wow that was a 2500 years of war! And the mighty Aztec finally prevail

Of course, after that, my science still lagging far behind. But with a switch to demo and build lib& univ. in most cities, science really takes off. The only problem, though, is that seems there is a hard cap of 4 turns per discovery, no matter what. So, be careful and adjust them, so you can save extra $$$

for now, it's around 700AD, I am 5 turns from steam power. I make peace with everybody, and send them money occasionally. I acquired 7 diff lux items, that really helps my happiness ). my scinece are still a little bit backward, but not much. I also have all the resources, and a good size land mass. (land mass #2, pop and prod all #1. ) I figure I can probablly drive out a tank around 1000 AD... ))

well, it seems that lucky 3 leaders really helped me. But then, who don't need a little bit of luck?

Strange thing though, after I build heroic act(is that the name?), which is supposed to increase the possibility of emerge of leaders, I get exactly no leader at all ( I am wondering is that wonder bugged

Oh one last thing, if you conquered a big part of one enemy, be sure to destroy him. Don't think safe if he only has a size 1 distant city. Because you newly conquered cities can easily defect back to him!!! This happened to me( my stupid, I should know better) and it turns out cities revolt one after another. It really cripples you when one city in the middle revolts, since because the border thing, you can only move 1 space per turn on your enemy's road, hence really drags things. I learned it the hard way that : (1) you better DESTORY enemy FAST. (2) to acheive 1), you better raze some city along the way.

Well, that's about it. I figure I will win it all, or so do I think who knows, maybe somebody will simply sneak attack me and put me away . For now I am very diligently working on a "real" version of "great wall", which is a 8-10 long fortifications that blocks one side of my continent ). Don't know if it will work, but I am really bored about all the enemies that take their fights on my backyard. (And you know being such a wussy I dare not even whine a word to them ).

Ok, guys, I guess that's the military way for deity....also I guess probably the easiest way because 1) in ancient age it's really easy to conquer a city --swordman rocks, even archer are pretty good; 2) you get leaders along the way, which are god-given gift in this CIV3. I figure if you get 2 or 3 leaders early in game, it really get the game in your favor .