Old November 2, 2001, 22:10   #1
MonarchyMajor
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Government Conlusion :)
Well, I thought I was doing well int he game in tell I couldn't produce my science without losing money. I suppose my culter went out of controll !!

It seems EVERYTIME I take the republic govn my whole civ gors to crap! Time after time. THEN...Monarchy I tried. Little better, least you'll bebale to produce science w/o losing money.

SO as one guy suggested to me, just stick iwth depotism

IT was working like a charm for me, BUT NO! that republican advance looked so good I had to have it. BIG MISTAKE! I suppose I don't know how to use it then . I had to really cut down on my army so I didn't lose money, (then again I had **** locaiton for resources) and I was taken over because I lacked the army and gold to back it up!

I have heard good things about Democaracy, anyone eles?
Old November 3, 2001, 07:02   #2
Lord Maxwell
Prince

If you want to keep a good army and actually use it you should go for monarchy.

Republic is better used if you have the territory you need and just want to hold it for now. You should make alot more science in republic than you ever did in despotism. Though don't switch too fast, it can be alot better to use forced labour than money to get your worst cities to start pumping in that culture.

If you just want to go to ground I think it's enough with a single tough defender in your outer cities, leaving the inner cities ungarrisoned. Add in one unit that can bombard per two outer cities, and one unit that can counterattack. (If you are playing republic you can garrison these in the second ring of cities. They can then reach the front in one turn, and remove an unhappy face while they wait.)
Old November 3, 2001, 16:03   #3
Diety
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:53
Democracy is the way to go for science...
Like the second poster said : defend your outer cities with one single unit and a counter-attacker and leave the rest undefended.
Mind your own business, trade for everything and get peace with everyone.
Old November 3, 2001, 16:32   #4
Ballz1998
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Diety
Democracy is the way to go for science...
Like the second poster said : defend your outer cities with one single unit and a counter-attacker and leave the rest undefended.
Mind your own business, trade for everything and get peace with everyone.
I dont think a small army is a good idea... it seems like the computer realizes that civs with small armies are just asking to be invaded... ask people about massive invasions from legions and immortals. I would try to keep my army at least even with everyone else.. u can tell in the military advisor screen
Old November 3, 2001, 17:28   #5
Lord Maxwell
Prince

Ballz1998: I think the military advisor is a bit heavy in his drinking. In my last game he claimed that the egyptians were scared of our spearmen. In 1840. (I knew the Egyptians had about 10 times as many units as me, though I had a tech advantage. And he never got any salpeter the poor bastard.) Most cities were ungarrisoned, and my seaside cities were garrisoned with boats. The AI never even tried to invade me.

I think paying attention to what happens in diplomacy is really important now.

And when one AI attacks another be sure to join the same side as everyone else. It always helps having been "war mates". It seems that once a battle is started it's all against one. The AIs are like sharks in the water... But with good diplomacy you can keep them away from you.