Old November 3, 2001, 03:31   #1
smellymummy
King

Local Time: 07:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
diplomatic victory (loss) is swift
of all things, the wicked french built the UN one turn ahead of my own amazing civ. The election then took place and everyone voted for the french...

How do they compute the vote?! It makes no sense. My civ had by far more population, and my culture was immense compared to all the other civs.

I was never warlike to the majority of the civs (only 2 of them did I crush) and in fact I was helping most of the civs with resources they needed to crush the russians on their own continent.

So whats up with the UN thing, it seems just to quick. the voting process is really non graphic, just a list and buttons, and there really is no way to try to make the vote go the other way.

So how can I win? Building the UN first, and I get all the votes? Makes no sense...
Old November 3, 2001, 08:05   #2
Iloveculture
Settler

Local Time: 15:54
I havn't been able to win this way :P I just build the UN to stop the vote from happening

The three or so times I've had a vote before the UN the computer players always voted for another computer player :P
Old November 3, 2001, 08:14   #3
Pyrodrew
Prince

Perhaps Bribery?
Good question.

Could be bug. However, consider this... if I was the French & knew you were the Civilization who played the best & more well liked... what would I do? ...I would bribe the hell out of those Civs with gold, techs, whatever they wanted as the voting date approached. % of land & % of culture only qualifies you to be on the UN... it doesn't make you get the vote. Is that fair? Maybe not, but it is realistic. Recall the recent heavy bribery involved with the Olympics & it's locations? I'm not saying this is it... but that is SURE the technique I would use.

Edited to add...
2nd Possibility - Perhaps the least warlike Civ always win... French are the lowest in aggressiveness if I remember right, so perhaps the 1 who was the least warlike wins?
Old November 3, 2001, 08:23   #4
Grunthex
Warlord

Local Time: 08:54
Re: diplomatic victory (loss) is swift
Quote:
[SIZE=1] How do they compute the vote?! It makes no sense. My civ had by far more population, and my culture was immense compared to all the other civs.
It seems to be the rather democratic method of one civ=one vote.
Old November 3, 2001, 08:41   #5
Pyrodrew
Prince

I think what he was asking is how do they decide who they vote for. My guess would be each Civ's attitude toward each of the nominated Civs. So even tho 'smellymummy' may have been the stronger Civ & was nice at a time... perhaps his tough negotiating kept the other civs at only Neutral or Polite. Meanwhile France bribes them & brown noises the other Civs & gets attitudes of Respect & Honor.

Footnote: Not sure if respect, honor, or neutral are real AI attitudes yet as I've just started playing, however the logic still holds. 97% appeal compared to a 78% appeal.

Last edited by Pyrodrew; November 3, 2001 at 09:28.
Old November 3, 2001, 13:39   #6
smellymummy
King

respect and honor? maybe they do exist, I'm not sure. The best I've apparently seen has been "polite" and even then, the AI isn't all that nice. Some of the lines they got just doesn't sound right

So in other words, before the UN is built I should be giving gifts and accepting all sorts of trades, just to get a better voting result... I should of had saved that game before the end though.