Old November 3, 2001, 02:26   #1
MonarchyMajor
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Let me give some of you newbies some advice
I am a newbie since I lose all the time but I got EXPERIENCE!!!

Republic = BIG NO NO

I hope there someone that oduld prove me wrong, but I have gone with this govn many times and have realized it is the worst. you will eventaully lose by military take over becaues you cannot police your citys (meaning the more troops u pit int hem = civil Dis.)

Monarchy = someone who is good player..give me a reason

Depotism = best givn in tell democ or commn(if u make tnat far)

---I can could of made it that far..knowing i was gonna lose, so I quit, just like the past 5-12 games

gl all!
Old November 3, 2001, 02:46   #2
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 17:55
Monarchy: Just look its abilities in MANUAL!
Republic: yes, war warrines & no Martial low are bad things but anything else is even better than Monarchy

P.S. How do you think to wait for democracy if you don't like Republic?, Democracy has EVEN WORSE PROBLEMS?
Old November 3, 2001, 02:51   #3
MonarchyMajor
Chieftain

Depotism, anoyther player told me about this strategy. you build up your fund while your science still decently grows. In republic it I have yet to see it grow to much, most thing are 32 turns or I am not researching sceince at all caues I am in debt. That is cause I over expanded like the computer does. But somehow they manage.
Old November 3, 2001, 03:33   #4
KhanMan
Prince

Sigh...newbees.
Just like in Civ2 and Civ1, Republics and Democracies require a certain amount of skill to run.

First, set your luxury rate to 30-40%.

Set your tax rate to just enough to break even with costs, with the rest going into science.

Second, build in all cities temple, marketplace, and any other happiness improvements.

Third, do not, I repeat, do not attempt to fight any wars. Republic and Democracies are best used as trade-hogging peacetime governments.

Fourth, watch We Love the King and trade bonuses make your life a happy and scientifically enlightened one.

Repeat, rinse.

-KhanMan, Lord of the Greeks
"You have risen to power among the Apolytoners, they are Warlike Expansionist Scientific Hacking Fiends"

PS. And, yes, any newbee who thinks that Republics should be used in the middle of a war deserves their fate.
Old November 3, 2001, 05:36   #5
bigfree1

Re: Let me give some of you newbies some advice
Quote:
Originally posted by MonarchyMajor

Republic = BIG NO NO

I hope there someone that oduld prove me wrong, but I have gone with this govn many times and have realized it is the worst. you will eventaully lose by military take over becaues you cannot police your citys (meaning the more troops u pit int hem = civil Dis.)

Monarchy = someone who is good player..give me a reason

Depotism = best givn in tell democ or commn(if u make tnat far)

---I can could of made it that far..knowing i was gonna lose, so I quit, just like the past 5-12 games

gl all!
Dude, you don't know jack, you keep jumping from forum to forum making off the wall comments and not providing any useful(not already known) info. Play the game(to completion) a few hundred times, then come back and share your worthy experiences. Till then, shut the hell up!

Old November 3, 2001, 05:36   #6
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 17:55
Why is Monarchy better then Despotism:
-Less corruption
-Better Military Polite
-Has no production penalities like despotism (MAJOR BONUS)
-Rushes by Gold (MAJOR BONUS) insted by Pop.

Unit free support:
2 for 1-6 pop cities,
4 for 7-12,
8 for 12+

Despotisam gives free support for 4 units for evry type of cities
(it is the only think better in Despotism then in Monarchy, and only for smaller cities)

Anyway for you type of play, you should have chased Monarchy from start, and ignore Republic at all)
Old November 3, 2001, 06:23   #7
Yog-Sothoth
Prince

Local Time: 16:55
In my current game I use Republic, and have no problem whatsoever. I don't remember how many cities I have, probably between 15-20.

50% reserach, 10 % luxury rate. I get about 110 gold per turn and gets an advance every 15 turn or so.

Might be because I play on chieftain
Old November 3, 2001, 06:34   #8
LtChambers
Settler

Local Time: 10:55
Hmm....I play on Warlord (this shiat is hard!) and get 600+ gold per turn and discoveries every 4 turns. Is that bad? That's with a democracy, but I started by going to Republic (go straight for democracy though if that's the kind of gov't you want!) and staying peaceful for a while.
Old November 3, 2001, 06:46   #9
Yog-Sothoth
Prince

Local Time: 16:55
Nice

Well, it's just my second game yet. I'm not fully comfortable with all the new stuff yet.
Old November 3, 2001, 09:50   #10
congogrey
Settler

I have only played a coupl eof times to get used to the new game play. I have to admit that i loved using democracy in civ2 i ruled with it. This is what i did:

Get democracy build up money and science
have a coup and become fundamentalist (by my army and kick a$$)
when low on money swap back to democracy.

I have not gotten very far in civ3 yet but that is how i did it in civ2
Old November 3, 2001, 11:02   #11
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 11:55
Republic rulez! And if you disagree, then I am not going to even be bothered to explain to why Republic is so good.

congogrey- this is a very good way of doing things. But I always try to make sure that whatever government type I am revolutionizing into, I will be staying there for a while. This is because of the anarchy waste.
Old November 3, 2001, 11:09   #12
albiedamned
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Prince

Re: Sigh...newbees.
Quote:
Originally posted by KhanMan
Just like in Civ2 and Civ1, Republics and Democracies require a certain amount of skill to run.

Set your tax rate to just enough to break even with costs, with the rest going into science.

Second, build in all cities temple, marketplace, and any other happiness improvements.

Third, do not, I repeat, do not attempt to fight any wars. Republic and Democracies are best used as trade-hogging peacetime governments.

Fourth, watch We Love the King and trade bonuses make your life a happy and scientifically enlightened one.

Repeat, rinse.

-KhanMan, Lord of the Greeks
"You have risen to power among the Apolytoners, they are Warlike Expansionist Scientific Hacking Fiends"

PS. And, yes, any newbee who thinks that Republics should be used in the middle of a war deserves their fate.
You are exactly right - Republic and Democracy are excellent government types but only if played correctly. They don't work very well for war (although you can sometimes fight defensive wars with them). I agree with all 4 of your recommendations, but let me add a 5th: build roads on every square you work. Rep. and Demo. give you +1 trade on every square alredy producing at least one trade. So without a road you get zero commerce (barring a bonus resource or river), but with a road your +1 commerce is doubled. Then watch your science and income shoot up.
Old November 3, 2001, 11:35   #13
Barry Brenesal
Chieftain

Re: Let me give some of you newbies some advice
Quote:

Republic = BIG NO NO

I hope there someone that oduld prove me wrong, but I have gone with this govn many times and have realized it is the worst. you will eventaully lose by military take over becaues you cannot police your citys
Come on, now. If the Republic choice was a bad one, the developers never would have included it. Each government option in the game has been designed to fit a specific playing strategy. Personally, I've always gone quickly for Republic in all the Civ games, since they've let me expand quickly and get a tech spurt. I'm perfectly willing to pay tribute and fend off militaristic regimes while I get the fancier, hi-tech weapons that will eventually command respect, or reign death.

Next time, please don't give advice until you've played a great deal--and even then, couch your advice in terms of an opinion, rather than a bald statement of fact. Thanks.
Old November 3, 2001, 13:06   #14
RikkL
Settler

Hey Barry, That has to be one of the best pieces of advice I've seen on these boards so far! Relax, play the game, and when you voice your opinions remember that they are exactly that... YOUR OPINIONS! Not everyone plays with the same style and tactics.
Old November 3, 2001, 15:22   #15
MonarchyMajor
Chieftain

listen to this
Just woke up! not to long ago

First thing I'd like to get streight bigfree1. You ****ing *****, that pisses me off. I have probably played more agmes then, and not on chieften, maybe you have!!! butr heck you go play with republicanism on regent my friend, well see how much you know.

anyways... Some god points and soem decent points)no such thing as a bad point really).

1) I am convinced to give monarchy a go.
2) I don't see how you guys have gotten republicism to work well, if you plan on winning the game, that is. WHY so i say this
a) if your culture or military captures citys, or you have many policed units and wokers. Chances are you will not beable to pay for all this, therefore, your sience rate being at maybe 10-20% and happyness prob 10-20 also(ussualy have to down the road, correct me if I am wrong)

Ok, I might of left out somethings, but I want to give you a short summery of the game I played last night, and tell me what you think,.

Settings: Regent
Egypt
standered map (8 civs)
land: 5 billion maybe it was 4 years old; randomized the land layout. Got 2 big contnants

OK!, here we go... I was put next to romans russian my other side = ocean. Get off to a good start, have about 8 citys and highest score in the game, culture takes over some roman citys that were near my strategic resources. NO wars yet, jus building, have a solid defense, 3-4 units in every city(spearment and horse charoits, later I get spearmen w/iron) SO the game progresses, I am doing well, I got the great library, keeping up with tech. I pass republicanism, stay with dep. and I have about 750 gold.

HERE IS THE KICKER! Romans start moving a load of legions and warroirs(mostly legions) keep in mind (i found this out end of game) romans got about 2 more citys then me. all the sudden there pouring into my terriotory. By the time there attacking I have seen literally maybe military 30-40 units. Yes, they take over me, I never make it to democracy.

here the things I want to point out(this i my 5 long game I think). How do you make a defensive stand against that??
How do they have more citys, crap lod more workers, crap load more military units and have the money to do this? I am, if I tried to build my own army, to possibly defend, I'd go broke. which is why republic is bad, your gonna go broke if you get into a war. they cut of all your trade etc.
Basically I could say by the set up. sometimes it is good to be in the middle, cause you controll everyones trade. But heck, this was amazing how much military they had! Just wanted to share this with you.
Old November 3, 2001, 15:45   #16
Ballz1998
Chieftain

how did your military. . .
compare to them in the advisor screen just before they attacked? weaker or even, or stronger?
Old November 3, 2001, 15:52   #17
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 11:55
MonMajor you suck at Civ3. We all do.
How about you try several strategies with each gov. before you write them off. I have played several games into the modern ages using all forms of government. They are all effective in the right situation. Monarchy is a MUST for improved production. Communism and Demo. are great too. Don't fight wars in Republic. If you can, try to forget everything you know about civ2. Then start playing.
Old November 3, 2001, 17:23   #18
Lord Maxwell
Prince

Re: listen to this
Quote:

First thing I'd like to get streight bigfree1. You ****ing *****, that pisses me off. I have probably played more agmes then, and not on chieften, maybe you have!!! butr heck you go play with republicanism on regent my friend, well see how much you know.
Just won using republicanism most of the game. Went to democracy later on when corruption became too much to bear.

Science setting was at 50-90% all of the game. (On regent.) Well, it dipped in the beginning to maximize cash when I was unable to push breakthroughs faster than 32 turns.

Empty your inner cities. You need at most two "rings" of defended cities. Put defensive units in your outermost cities. As many as you need. Put bombardment/counter attack units in the second outermost ring, so they can reinforce two different cities depending on where the attack is coming from.

Once you get railroads just keep defensives in the outermost ring, spread all the other units out over your empire so each city gets (atleast) one. They can move anywhere in the blink of an eye anyway.

But I don't find republicanism to be a game winner, it's still just a step on the way to democracy.

Quote:
2) I don't see how you guys have gotten republicism to work well, if you plan on winning the game, that is. WHY so i say this
a) if your culture or military captures citys, or you have many policed units and wokers. Chances are you will not beable to pay for all this, therefore, your sience rate being at maybe 10-20% and happyness prob 10-20 also(ussualy have to down the road, correct me if I am wrong)
Why do you need happiness? Trade for, beg for, war for luxuries. Add in a market place. Garrison. Put in temples/cathedrals/colosseums. Even on deity you will be easily able to keep a city under size 15 from having unhappy faces.

Quote:
HERE IS THE KICKER! Romans start moving a load of legions and warroirs(mostly legions) keep in mind (i found this out end of game) romans got about 2 more citys then me. all the sudden there pouring into my terriotory. By the time there attacking I have seen literally maybe military 30-40 units. Yes, they take over me, I never make it to democracy.
The AI really does attack in numbers these days. Which is good. So if you want to run republican you have to keep him from attacking you.

Quote:
here the things I want to point out(this i my 5 long game I think). How do you make a defensive stand against that??
How do they have more citys, crap lod more workers, crap load more military units and have the money to do this? I am, if I tried to build my own army, to possibly defend, I'd go broke. which is why republic is bad, your gonna go broke if you get into a war. they cut of all your trade etc.
You don't make much more of an defensive stand using despotism, as you just admitted. But it's not that difficult to defend against. Use catapults to bombard. Counter attack against every stack near a city. Never leave a unit in the field.

But if you want to go republic you need to play the diplomatic game well enough to avoid being attacked.

Quote:
Basically I could say by the set up. sometimes it is good to be in the middle, cause you controll everyones trade. But heck, this was amazing how much military they had! Just wanted to share this with you.
Yes, the AI sacrifices city improvements for military. Which combined with the aggressive and pretty good attack AI makes for a very difficult opponent even under optimal circumstances. So while you build temples and granaries and cathedrals he builds units. And all those units are going to come your way unless you can divert them using diplomacy.

I don't see why this makes republicans in particular weak?
Old November 3, 2001, 22:14   #19
Grunthex
Warlord

Local Time: 08:55
Quote:

How do you defend against that? Buy units. So WHAT if units cost 1 gold each. With the massive trade boost, you can AFFORD them. I can hold my empire consistently at 50% science, 10% happiness, 3-4 units per city, and lining my borders with units and still make money. This doesn't even COUNT my 30+ workers.
Old November 6, 2001, 03:45   #20
bigfree1

Quote:
First bit of reality I've heard from you, not to mention it seems to be the way you are at ALL times!

Quote:
I actually don't see where you've ever made it out of the third grade (sorry if your still there dude)! Why don't you chalk up some experience, then come back here and rant about how the game isn't playing like YOU think it should; maybe by then you may have grown wiser by a bean or two.

Old November 6, 2001, 04:49   #21
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Republic and Democracy governments are cash-cows. Just keep milking them for money, and you will have plenty spare to spend on research, giving you a technical edge.

You will be concentrating on happiness and cultural improvements, but that doesnt mean you should ignore your military. Build (or even better, buy) military units, and other nations will not attack you, for fear of retaliation. You will easily be able to afford this.

Finally, if another nation feels the need to wage war, use your superior culture, high technology and excess cash to your advantage. Get every other nation to declare war on your enemy, then sit back and watch as their empire is carved apart, all without you lifting a military finger. Or take small blitz-style charges, capture a single city or two and let them beg you for peace before war weariness even begins to affect your citizens.

The important thing to remember, though, is that different gov types are good at certain things, while lacking in other regards. You dont complain when a hammer fails to cut through wood, so why complain when republic fails to conduct long wars??
Old November 6, 2001, 11:39   #22
mcaber
Settler

Umm, MonarchyMajor, Iīm playing regent level right now and am running a republic for maybe 30 turns.
It actually goes quite well, and Iīm hoping to win by culture (20,000 cp in my capital) sometime.
Something tells me you wage a *lot* of war. Then republic just isnīt for you. You need to broaden your horizon, then maybe youīll see things you havenīt seen yet.
Oh, and donīt be so mad, itīs just a game...
Old November 6, 2001, 13:54   #23
kmj
Prince

Re: Sigh...newbees.
Quote:
Originally posted by KhanMan

yikes! this is civ3 man! use those luxury resources! I've never had to raise my luxury rate beyond 10% (it's almost always at 0%) to keep my cities in celebration. Maybe I just got lucky and found alot of luxuries.
Old November 6, 2001, 17:35   #24
Raion
Prince

I guantee you that you can not win unless you use 'Republic' or 'Democracy'. Not to me. The science research is better, you just have to pay for the army, air force, marines, navy. You have to keep your people happy also. And that is not that hard to do!!
Old November 6, 2001, 17:38   #25
Raion
Prince

I guantee you that you can not win unless you use 'Republic' or 'Democracy'. Not to me. The science research is better, you just have to pay for the army, air force, marines, navy. You have to keep your people happy also. And that is not that hard to do!!