Old November 3, 2001, 13:07   #1
Gallagher
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Why I like the corruption rates
Firaxis has been telling us all along that Civ3 was going to require different strategie than civ2. I think it's apparent that one of the design themes was forcing players to make decisions that would make sense in the real world. Now I hear everybody griping about how they can't use their civ2 strategies, because of the corruption rates.

Realistically, world domination doesn't mean 'owning' every city. It means exerting your influence over other nations. If the U.S. captured Bagdad (sp?) next week, we couldn't start producing armor units there the next month. And the reason we couldn't mirror in certain ways the corruption and unhappiness factors in the game. In fact, there would be no advantage in the U.S. keeping the city at all, other than to take the production potential away from Saddam, which in game terms could be done a couple of different ways (selling factories, pillaging, and giving the city to some other civ). The game, to some small extent, models the real world difficulty the US finds itself in now. Diplomacy, trade, and our military and cultural influence are more effective than military action.

In civ2, building the spaceship was an artificial choice. It was always faster and easier to just conquer the whole world. If you want to play a conquer-the-world kind of game (and there's no reason why you shouldn't), then play civ2. If you want a more realistic model, play civ3.
Old November 3, 2001, 14:10   #2
John-SJ
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 07:56
I totally agree! I am happy with levels of corruption and the new choices and strategies it forces. I am happy with ancient age research and the new choices and strategies it forces.

If I could use all of my favorite Civ2 strategies on Civ3, what's the point of playing Civ3?

My first impression of Civ3 is that it will take me quite some time before I can win games regularly on higher levels. Currently I am playing on Warlord and I think I may have a fighting chance at winning.

I love it!

John-SJ
Old November 3, 2001, 15:57   #3
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 11:56
Amen, brothers.
Why do folks complain when their favorite civ2 strategies don't work? Did they want to pay $50 for the same game strategically speaking?

And you call yourselves strategy gamers.
Old November 3, 2001, 16:06   #4
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 11:56
I think the game accurately reflects the economic political and cultural aspects of world competition. Keeping the prior citizens as members of their own culture, to be gradually subsumed or outnumbered is a small reflection of the social aspects. Some new considerations for the strategy of Civing makes the whole thing absorbing all over again.