Old November 3, 2001, 15:00   #1
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 18:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Occ
The way I see the rules stay pretty much the same with the exception that colonies are allowed.

It is definetely more difficult than in Civ2 because you also need to get all these resources and guard your colonies. And of course the two times more expensive wonders and the yet unknown tech formula. Apparently when you gain more techs, the time needed to get the current tech you're reserching doesnt change.

The victory type will be of course Cultural one(get 20k culture points in your city). I dont know about space victory since I never got to the modern era yet and tried it(good AI and early mistakes that made the game boring).

So, did anyone try OCC already?
Old November 3, 2001, 16:25   #2
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

bump
Old November 3, 2001, 16:31   #3
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 10:56
What is OCC?
Old November 3, 2001, 17:09   #4
Slartibartfast
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:56
Quote:
Originally posted by Libertarian
What is OCC?
OCC = One City Challenge.

It's a game where you're allowed to build one city only; in Civ3, as the guy said, with an unlimited number of colonies.
Old November 4, 2001, 08:49   #5
Eli
Emperor

This is ridiculos(sp?). Post something!
Old November 4, 2001, 08:52   #6
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 01:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
i think it too early for people to be so good they can beat the AI with just one city, civ 2 was very late in getting the OCC right. it certianly didnt happen after only one week of game paly !!!!!
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old November 4, 2001, 09:32   #7
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 17:56
yep. way too early for even trying. nice early examination though
Old November 4, 2001, 09:40   #8
Eli
Emperor

Ah... I see you're simply not capable of winning an OCC game. Losers!
Old November 4, 2001, 09:51   #9
Ecthy
Emperor

shutupkike
very true, I have never won an OCC game on Deity
Old November 4, 2001, 09:51   #10
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 01:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Ah... I see you're simply not capable of winning an OCC game. Losers!
civ 3 not avaialb ein australia yet, so cant try it... But your right i never did beat civ 2 using OCC... too perfectionist for me, you had to find just the right starting location and then hope for peace... i always got war from all sides ..
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old November 4, 2001, 09:56   #11
Ecthy
Emperor

oh well, you're raising another good point. Civ3 isn't even out yet in Germany, so I can't even try playing an OCC
Old November 4, 2001, 10:16   #12
Diety
Chieftain

Well, I tried the OCC twice and quit, once at 1500 BC and once at 500 BC or so (both on deity, ofcours).

The problem is I don't know enough about the game to keep the people happy !

Luxuries you said ? Yeah, well, guess what, those colony-thingies won't do. They get overrun and you simply don't have enough production capacity to defend them all... Perhaps if you start near two luxuries and get only two other to defend, well, then you might have a chance. But I had none, in neither game, so that means I got to protect 4 (four) plus your city. That left my defense too stretched out, so...

O, well, I'll first learn how to survive deity untill 2000 AD and then get back to this one city thing.
Old November 4, 2001, 16:20   #13
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I tried an OCC game on Regent level, but the Chinese won the space race. They researched much faster than I could, so I lowered my science rate a bit and bought stuff from them. I got some money by then selling those techs to the other civs, but in the end it wasn't enough. When the Chinese launched I had only two spaceship parts. Only the Babylonians were less advanced than I was.

I guess it will take some time before someone will win an OCC game on Regent, let alone on Deity. But when we become more familiar with the game it will probably happen. And maybe Eli was right when he said that the cultural victory would be the best way to win it. I may give that a try next time.
Old November 4, 2001, 16:43   #14
Ecthy
Emperor

it is a good thing that OCC can now have 2 or even 3 outcomes... not only space race win, but also cultural victory and diplomatic victory, though I doubt the latter would becoem very easy...
Old November 4, 2001, 17:09   #15
SteveJH
Warlord

Local Time: 07:56
Quote:
Originally posted by Ecthelion
it is a good thing that OCC can now have 2 or even 3 outcomes... not only space race win, but also cultural victory and diplomatic victory, though I doubt the latter would becoem very easy...
Try impossible. You have to have 25% of the world's population and/or territory to even be eligible for a diplomatic victory.
Old November 4, 2001, 19:57   #16
Zoetstofzoetje
Chieftain

Possible! You can build the UN and have the privilege of getting a perm seat, of course.
Old November 5, 2001, 05:56   #17
EnderSword
Settler

Local Time: 11:56
But in reality, impossible. Firaxis doesn't want you to beat Deity Level so odds are regardless of how diplomatically wonderful you are all game the computer just won't vote for you to win regardless. Besides with OCC approach you'd be hard pressed to collect enough luxuries and resources to trade to even stay in their good graces at all. Cultural is the only way OCC could win at deity, The game is just designed different this time, the other civs would surround you with their borders and slowly eat away at your city, envelop your colonies etc..
Props to anyone that does it, but i don't think anyone's beat deity at all yet
Old November 6, 2001, 20:30   #18
kimmygibler
Warlord

Local Time: 08:56
I am in the middle of an OCC game right now. (Normal map Deity) I stopped this morning at year 1000. I managed to keep up with ai civs tech wise (after initially falling behind). I'm sitting with a size twelve city in democracy. I'm at peace with everyone (of course) but the Americans and the Persians have been warring back and forth for about 3000 years right outside my city. Either one could have easily destroyed me a long time ago, but they just march back and forth only attacking each other. I am doing fine for now, but I don't know if I can possibly win the game. Is diplomatic victory possible? Anyone have any suggestions?
Old November 7, 2001, 03:53   #19
EnderSword
Settler

Local Time: 11:56
I'm assuming you'll have to block the Diplo victory. You'll need to build the UN yourself and refuse to hold the elections. Obviously save and try once. It's possible that if 1 civ gets really powerful and fights alot then the others will hate them, but they'll be the biggest. Therefore it'll be you vs. them in the election.
Old December 15, 2001, 19:18   #20
kleine2
Settler

Could people post their games for comparison ?
Old December 16, 2001, 23:18   #21
solo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 15:56
For some OCC attempts and successes see Toe Truck's thread:

here is the link

I tried a few times on deity, for a spaceship win, with no success, but was able to do it in the second tournament here, which was at Monarch level. Go to page 3 of that thread to get the save game.

A few of us are now playing the Five City Challenge, in which you are limited to just 5 cities and must win by launching first. FCC works a lot better with the design of CivIII, and is still a very good challenge at deity level, especially after the new patch which also makes OCC attempts even more difficult, too.

Paul,

Good to hear from you, as I have not seen you around. How are you liking CivIII so far?

Last edited by solo; December 16, 2001 at 23:49.
Old December 17, 2001, 15:49   #22
Tom DeMille
Prince

i came to the same conclusion that a cultural win would be easier than spaceship. 20000 points doesn't take that long to accumulate when your city is generating 100+.

In my only OCC experiment so far, i built a city beside a river and ocean (pangaea type worlds seem to have a lot of rivers - ocean let's you build colossus, river let's you get to size 12 easily). I managed to build the great library and then reduced science to 10% and waited for the AIs to do all the researching. By the time education was discovered, i had 2000 gold, which allowed me to crank science to 100% for the rest of the game.

i've been playing a 4 city game which seems like a good size to me. I think i'll dig out the thread you're refering to solo and have a go a 5CC. Q. Is it ok to have a 4 city core and then not rebuff converting cities. I'd accept the city and then sell it off right away, that way always staying below the 5 city cap.
Old December 17, 2001, 16:47   #23
solo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Tom,

That would be permissable under the rules as they stand now, but since adding the new patch the AI have refused to consider any trade I have suggested so far that included a city. If this holds true, then it may be a good thing to let this tactic join IFE as a former exploit that no longer works, since aborbing and selling the same (or new fifth) city over and over would take the challenge out of playing the 5 city way. So, if you are using the new patch and absorb a crummy city, you may be stuck with it until you can starve it to death or allow its capture.
Old December 17, 2001, 17:00   #24
Tom DeMille
Prince

solo,
thanks for the heads up. i guess the only other reason to not build 5 cities right away would be to grab an important resource later in the game outside of your core.
Old December 19, 2001, 02:12   #25
Selkirk
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
I guess it will take some time before someone will win an OCC game on Regent, let alone on Deity.
I played my first occ game last night and won with a cultural victory. I was a little disappointed at how easy it was. (maybe I got lucky?) I played on a standard map, regent, as the Babylonians. I didn't need to reload at all. I restarted a 3 or 4 times until I got a map with a river and ocean. I had 2 hills, 2 mountains, 4 sea, 4 jungle and the rest were grassland with a river. The only resource in my area of influence was 1 wine on a hill and 1 gold on a mountain.

I thought resources would be a problem, but I ended up with trade agreements for every strategic resource by the end of the game. I also had trade agreements for 3-4 luxuries.

I also thought war would be a problem, but I was also never at war. I just always gave them whatever they asked for for peace.

I thought technology would be a a problem, so I bee-lined for literature and built a library then the great library. After the great library, I was ahead in tech for the rest of the game.

My biggest problem was that my city size was limited at 8 by food production for a while until I could get out of despotism. Also, I was limited at size 12 for a very long time waiting for sanitation. Clearing the jungles and developing the mountains took forever with only 1 worker. In hindsight, I should have built workers when I was stuck at 8 and 12 and added them back after the limits were removed.
Old December 19, 2001, 17:41   #26
solo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Selkirk,

Congrats on your successful OCC game. Cultural is indeed an easier way to win at OCC, as it has been done even at Emperor and Deity levels. I think Paul might have been referring to OCC games that require a launch to win, as in the way they were played in CivII. You might want to try one this way, as it is a bit trickier, especially at higher levels to build all the SS parts before the AI, who have multiple cities. You might also want to check out the Five City Challenge, an alternative to OCC, as it retains much of the flavor of OCC games, yet is more attuned to the design of CivIII.
Old December 20, 2001, 11:11   #27
hanZ
Chieftain

finally i did it on deity
i ve tried OCCs since the release of the game. i was very(!!) close several times, but at least it took about 30 tries till i managed it. ive played tiny map with the babylonians on deity. had a little luck with the starting position. all other tries, i ve tried to keep peace, payed everything theyve wanted. this time i just build a temple and than build several bowmen, horsemen and later on a catapult. the persians had bad luck with their starting position. it waqs pretty easy to bring them down to one city. they gave me several workers, all their tech and some money. ive completely destroyed them after this.

luckily the germans and the zulu started war this time (we all have started on the same, smaller continent). i keept rushing units like hell and took all the citys that are already weakened.
i razed them all and got some more workers that hided in the citys. in a short time of peace i build some catapults. the other two empires were just some citys not directly connected. i took all my offensive forces and attacked the germans. i lost most of my army but i managed it too destroy berlin. they gave me a lot of money, some workers and all their techs. i rebuilt my army and attacked the zulus and also destroyed their capital.

now ive started to build the first wonder (colossus). the world was at war till that moment nearly all the time (never had this before) so none of the othrs tried to build a wonder. the germans made the mistake to start collossus in the nearest city. ive destroyed it some turns before they finished it. no i had some hard turns, cause the germans started to throw out units. at the end i had to give them some money and two techs to get enough time for new units.

after developing writing i switched from colussus to great library. ive started to build new units and got some techs from the great library. some units i placed outside my "empire" to protect the iron and horse-resources. later on i destroyed the germans together with BIG help from the zulus. thanks to the new patch in this case, because a lot of citys were just destroyed and not taken. i made peace with the zulus and used my workers (i really got a lot of them) to build a "frontline through the continent (at the smallest part). so i could manage it for a really long time, to protect my colonies, and not to allow the zulus to get coal or iron. my units are much stronger then theirs. at some point the zulus became to strong and i had to give up all my colonies and start protecting my city. i always tried to make them happy. at the end i managed the cultural victory at about 1700 AD, ive build a lot of wonders - much more than the AI. and the ai wasnt so much ahead in science.

some luck with the starting position (lot of rivers, 3 bonus resources) and the war between the ai-civs helped alot. i never really believed that its possible to build enough units with one city, but the greatr starting position and the weakened AI made it possible to destroy citys with my small but fine army. i had never captured so much workers than in this game. i really hunted them, declared war several times just to get the workers. without them it would be impossible to win the game this way. my city never was really big (never more than 3 poppoints) untill i had the first longer peace-time. but than my city really exploded. ive added all workers from the destroyed persians and later the germans and was at 12 in 3 turns.

at my closest try (some weeks ago) in which i never had war till the end, i was 10-20 techs behind and i was loosing the game 3 turns before i had enough culture.

so, now the 5 city challenge (normal map) would be a good idea for my next game.
Old December 20, 2001, 11:32   #28
solo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

hanZ,

Wow, well done! Was this with the new patch? Did you by any chance save the start? I'd like to give an OCC game a try using it. I think the ultimate would be to get a spaceship win on deity with OCC. Have you thought of trying for it this way?

By the way, two of us have tried and failed so far in the Five City Challenge game, though I found a way to win with a partial replay of my game. With your excellent games using OCC on deity, it will be interesting to see how you play FCC.