Old November 3, 2001, 17:51   #1
jimmy50
Settler

Local Time: 10:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ 3 - I love it!
I've been reading a lot of these threads and it seems to me that the overall consensus is pretty negative towards the game. Well, I have to tell ya, I LOVE it! This is a far more realistic game than civ2 ever was (even on the deity level). For several years now, we've all figured out how to play civ2 and honed our abilities in kicking some serious AI butt. Remember the civ2 powergraph, well, you had to be a complete moron if your power line wasn't off the chart before even getting to A.D. Well, I think we can all agree that the last thing we all wanted was civ3 to be a game where we could beat the AI the first time playing. I like the fact that my opponent can beat me, it makes it more challenging. Once we learn the new strategies and figure out what makes sense according to our individual styles, we'll be giving the AI in civ3 a good run for its money. I don't think any of us are going to ever beat the game on the deity level (at least not in the next year), but we'll probably start winning easly on the cheiftan and warlord levels in a couple of months or so. The difference between civ2 and civ3 is that we could all win on any level in civ2 (except that cheiftan and warlord were mind numbingly boring). In civ3, if you want to see what it feels like to be in Afghanistan right now, just set it to deity and try and survive. I LIKE that!

Quite frankly, I was bored with civ2, it was too easy to win. When I first got it, the AI beat the tar out of me, however, as I learned how to play, I began to get the upper hand. Give civ3 some time, and I'm sure you'll really appreciate it.