Old November 6, 2001, 20:48   #31
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 07:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I believe I saw a post at CivFantatics claiming they did. I didn't read all the posts here to see if someone claimed they did.
Old November 6, 2001, 20:59   #32
hammi
Settler

Local Time: 15:57
Confirmed deity win
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...?threadid=7891

(and no, it wasnt me)
Old November 7, 2001, 03:47   #33
EnderSword
Settler

Local Time: 11:57
I'm actually suprised at the Deity level, at first glance it's much smarter and quicker and expansionistic and all kinds of stuff. But it doesn't seem too aggressive. Also the handicaps on you as the player such as extra disorder problems seem relativly easy to surmount.
Granted, It's still kinda early in the game, 500AD or so but I've just been brokering techs, and I picked expansionist and made about 1000gold and 4 techs by brokering communications/world maps.
So far only one country has declared war on me and they never really got around to actually attacking me, i bought them off 15 turns later with 'contact with germans' and they've been polite since.
I've only got 7 cities, My capital is 100% surrounded by Babylonian cites and the rest are grouped together kinda farther away. I'm somehow keeping up mostly scientifically, which makes me wonder how the science system really works because my empire wide science is like 85-100 per turn only.
I was even able to construct the hanging gardens.

I'm assuming at some point the AI Will just turn on me and wipe me out in 10 turns, but since i'm mostly surrounded they need to go through another empire to do it.

I'm wondering how aggressively the AI will pursue something like space conquest or even diplomatic victory.
I'm gonna try and find a town isolated from it's empire and use it to declare war and kinda 'farm' leaders, then save them for the UN or space components.

I may not win, but in case others are wondering...absolutely it is beatable, and i think without much effort for a good player
Old November 7, 2001, 05:07   #34
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Local Time: 17:57
EnderSword
Settler
Canada

Nov 2001

Quote:
EnderSword: first off, I'm not a newbie
Old November 7, 2001, 06:52   #35
Dev
Warlord

So you're saying that your amount of posts on this board is somehow connected to your skill at playing Civ ?

Well here's a newsflash for you, the only one who cares about your 5435 posts or whatever is yourself......

/dev
Old November 7, 2001, 08:30   #36
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Quote:
So you're saying that your amount of posts on this board is somehow connected to your skill at playing Civ ?
Hey, that's not what newbie means, newbie.
It means that you're......... surprise surprise..... new at this board.

Quote:
Well here's a newsflash for you, the only one who cares about your 5435 posts or whatever is yourself......
surprise surprise 1: I don't have 5435 posts at this board
surprise surprise 2: the number of posts doesn't matter if you're a newbie, but the join date does.
surprise surprise 3: I don't care about the number of my posts.
Old November 7, 2001, 09:44   #37
inca911
Warlord

Tainted Victory
That Deity win exploited a loophole in Civ3, so it doesn't count in my book. Just like using the 1000000 Gold loophole to win on Deity wouldn't count either. Here is an excerpt from that other forum:

Poster #1:
"No slight to the effort, but this victory was helped a lot by the AI exploit you mentioned in that other thread.

Seems like an easy one to fix, if you sue for peace with an enemy and ask for a city, that should work, but if you you break the treaty a few turns later and then try for peace again, they should remember that you crossed them last time and not accept any deal but plain peace treaty."

Deity Winner's Response:

"I agree totally. It was still quite a challenge, but without that loophole I wouldn't have stood a chance. "

So, keep trying!
Old November 7, 2001, 10:52   #38
Aendolin
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberShy

Hey, that's not what newbie means, newbie.
It means that you're......... surprise surprise..... new at this board.
Hmmm...

Why would he defend his Civ2 playing by telling us he's not a newbie to this board?

You would think he meant he's not a newbie to playing Civ2...

...and why would anyone call someone who's new at this board a newbie? Isn't the definition of a newbie someone who's inexperienced at something? So, if he's used any board ever in his life he's not a newbie.

but...whatever
Old November 7, 2001, 11:37   #39
Diety
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:57
sigh,
another fine thread destroyed by personal attacks...

But I'll give it a try to get it back on track .

- the "I won against deity" thread from fanatics : he use a loophole in the game where he emptied one of his cities (included units), traded it for another and then retook the city he gave on the same turn (so there couldn't be any untis in it).

That's not winning, that's using a bug / loophole / cheat / ... whatever you wanne call it.

- a newbie is someone who joined only recently ? That makes me a super newbie I guess... Kinda funny, consider the fact that I remember myself running around campus with one diskette (you know, the small black thingies ?) in my pocket with a stripped version of the original CIV on it and another diskette with the save games. And now I'm a "newbie" because I'm new to this board ?
Old November 7, 2001, 12:57   #40
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Quote:
Originally posted by EnderSword
first off, I'm not a newbie.

And Second and more importantly what you have displayed is proof that someone once had a city that was size one at some point. I also sounds like he made it as a scenario or something. And Also he doesn't make any mention of what difficulty level he did it on. It would of course be possible on Cheiftan by simply stealing most techs.

And most Importantly i was under the assumption OCC stood for One City Conquest. He did not take over the world, he launched a ship.

Actually most important is probably the level issue.

Overall this isn't proof at all, and there's no way to tell if he kept the city at 1 always.
Well, I personally have done it before, and I don't feel as if i need to prove it to you or anyone else. Try it before you doubt it. Also, you don't steal techs, you beg for them off the AI. Being pathetic you can usually manage alliances with all the AIs, at least up to space flight. Trade techs and make sure the AI researches as much as possible for you, although you need to know when to stop - I would under almost no circumstances give the AI space flight, for example. Beg for cash too - ideally you want to rushbuy caravans every few turns. Streamline the tech tree, for example no need for sanitation, as your city will never grow, and no need for a temple or protection from barbs if you're on the arctic.

As 'amazing' as size 1 OCC may seem, it's really not that difficult on any level.
Old November 7, 2001, 13:59   #41
GreekyGoodness
Settler

Local Time: 09:57
I don't know why you guys think its so tough. I've beaten Diety at least a 100 times by now. All you have to do is jump up and grab the mushroom...wait a sec. What game were we talking about?
Old November 7, 2001, 15:34   #42
Makeo
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
King

Local Time: 08:57
hehe, entertaining thread gp.
Old November 7, 2001, 15:46   #43
Juggernaut
Prince

I will, as soon as I get Civ3.
Old November 7, 2001, 22:48   #44
connorkimbro
Emperor

to those who are saying size 1 occ is impossible. . go hang out in the civ2 strategy section for a while and see what kind of detail they get into. check out the civ2 great library and read some of the game logs. check out the paulicy, and then actually try it for yourself. you THINK it's impossible, but the game works very different when you are a size 1, one city, located on one of the poles. it's actually quite easy, and doesn't even take that long. you'd be surprised.

I've never set any records, but i've beaten OCC several times, even the size 1 arctic occ.

-theonion.com
Old November 8, 2001, 00:35   #45
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:57
Sheesh, these newbies. Don't even understand the history of this place. Pretty impertinent too. "I don't believe in OCC, waa, waa, waa!"
Old November 10, 2001, 14:52   #46
randomturn
Prince

Just beat deity, and handily. Won a domination victory in 630AD with score of 9757. It seemed like it took a while for the domination to kick in, I feel like I had most of the world for a while, then I took this last city and the game just ended, bam.

I used a combination of early military rushing and some of the city placement strategies I talk about in my thread in the strategy forum. I'll go into strategy detail more over there.
Old November 10, 2001, 15:32   #47
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

RT is that the same as a conquest win? Has anybody won by conquest or by spaceship yet?
Old November 10, 2001, 15:44   #48
randomturn
Prince

Domination is pretty much like conquest, except that the game just stops and says you've won when there are just a couple of scrawny little cities left. It saves you from having to put a bunch of units in a boat and sending them off to a few dumb little islands to finish off straglers. I built a spaceship in emperor. No satisfying end-game movie, of course. Game just ends. What's up with the victory histographs and play button on the movie? Someone forget to finish them?
Old November 10, 2001, 15:57   #49
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

It's a bummer that they cut the movies. Those were a nice reward for accomplishments. I think they're critical in hooking newbies...
Old November 10, 2001, 17:48   #50
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

anyone can beat civ3 diety using the sell-all-cities-and-take-them-back-rightaway trick.
Old November 11, 2001, 10:04   #51
sunshine
Settler

RT, mind posting a savegame? Actually a series of savegames, if possible, since I don't see how you could do a civ 2 style military rush on civ 3 deity since 1) the ai is so good at combat and 2) combat victory is so randomly assigned, and 3) the ai cheats so badly. Watching the end game videos and they usually have 12 cities by 2150 bc. By the time you find him and march the 3 warriors you've managed to build over to him he is finishing sun tzu... and defending with pikemen/longbowmen.

I'm not saying you're lying but I sure would like to learn your tricks (and your strategy guide doesn't seem to be anything new or innovatively different from what I've been doing). I've survived to the end a couple times now, watching the ai launch spaceship components in 800 AD, and am getting frustrated.

Then again I've been playing on a huge map, and I see that you beat it on a small map, so maybe that makes the difference... the ai production advantage isn't as great if they don't have as much room to expand.

Last edited by sunshine; November 12, 2001 at 01:12.
Old November 11, 2001, 10:27   #52
Timeline
King

Local Time: 10:57
Actually, I think the end-game spaceship movie is the sweetist thing I have seen in a long time . . .