Old November 3, 2001, 18:42   #1
TimTracey
Settler

Local Time: 15:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Naval Woes!
Having the LightHouse and being proud of my citizens acomplishments. I set forth to discover new lands. Never one to turn back I continued west.

I was close to home and thought that my steadfast crew would be able to pilot on without me at the helm. This was not to be the case.

What Happened on the Trieme bounty.

I first tried Selecting the water square next to my city. This of course set an auto course of 24 turns east

I then selected the black square just to the right of the water tile. PERFECT only 6 turns going west. So I go of and do my thing.

Only to discover 4 turns later the boat is heading east. What the heck - I try the waypoint 3 more times with this ship and another, and the both did it. Grrrr. The ship on autopilot wouldn't wrap around the map if the other side wasn't explored - yet it would plot a route to the "short" side -

So, I had to take the helm personally and I Left Arrowed myself home no problems.

Stupid Computer Generated Galley Slaves!
can't circumnavigate the globe by themselves!!

If anybody has any insight I'd appreciate hearing.
(and I've already read enough FIRAXIS/CIV III slams so if it's not constructive well you know......enough said)

Regards,
Tim Tracey

Last edited by TimTracey; November 3, 2001 at 18:47.
Old November 3, 2001, 21:25   #2
redstar1
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStates
Prince

Local Time: 16:57
Doesn't the lighthouse only allow Triremes to navigate sea? I'm assuming there was a lot of ocean in the way. Remember, sea is different from Ocean, there are 3 types of sea.

Dave
Old November 3, 2001, 21:38   #3
kittenOFchaos
Prince

Local Time: 16:57
If only they could mutiny!

Find their descendents inbreeding with some tribespeople on some islands years later.

Old November 3, 2001, 22:04   #4
TimTracey
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by redstar1
Doesn't the lighthouse only allow Triremes to navigate sea? I'm assuming there was a lot of ocean in the way. Remember, sea is different from Ocean, there are 3 types of sea.

Dave
This was the Ocean I was crossed!

Regards,
Tim
Old November 3, 2001, 22:33   #5
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 07:57
Triremes have been removed, those are galleys. Lighthouse now lets any ship sail safely over ocean or sea. They made the lighthouse better since it royally sucked last time.
Old November 3, 2001, 22:53   #6
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 11:57
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrodrew
Triremes have been removed, those are galleys. Lighthouse now lets any ship sail safely over ocean or sea. They made the lighthouse better since it royally sucked last time.
The Lighthouse actually increases the 'depth' each of the naval vessels can traverse. So a Galley (Trireme) can cross coastal and sea squares safely with it, and Caravels can travel all water with it.

So probably what was happening is the AI was setting the 'safest' possible route for your galley.
Old November 3, 2001, 22:57   #7
TimTracey
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Anunikoba

The Lighthouse actually increases the 'depth' each of the naval vessels can traverse. So a Galley (Trireme) can cross coastal and sea squares safely with it, and Caravels can travel all water with it.

So probably what was happening is the AI was setting the 'safest' possible route for your galley.

Actually, it was setting the fastest route. Following to the edge of the map, but wasn't able to "wrap" around to the other side.

I guess I didn't make myself clear, sorry everybody.