Old November 3, 2001, 21:50   #1
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 10:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
My story
I said I would play my first game as the French on a world map, but after seeing how poor the world map is, and hearing rave reviews about the map generation, i decided to play on a random map. I kept a diary entry every few turns until a point (when I was just so immersed, I forgot )

The following is a story based on those diary entries
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It is the year 4000 BC

My ancestors were nomads, but over the generations they have learned the secrets of farming, road building, and irrigation, and are ready to settle down.

The French people are commercial and industrious and have recently created an Alphabet, and created a system of Masonry.

The people have vested absolute power in me...

My people have lived a hard life in this desert, and it is time to move northeast to the fertile regions that lie beyond this forsaken place. In 3950 BC, a group of French settlers found the first premanent settlement of Paris just northeast of the Seine River that peacefully flows through the desert. This river has been the lifeblood of my people, and we shall not abandon it.

Further west, a group of French workers discover a moderately advanced Phonecian settlement. The Phonecians happily pledge allegiance to the French people, and have given a settler for our use. The settlers found the village of Orleans in 3700 BC, doubling the size of our influence. The horizon is clear and unending, and I have confidence in our growing civilization.

I am truly the chosen one of the God's! This year, 3650 BC, the strongest warriors of Paris have joined together and offered their services for the protection of our way of life. The people began construction this year of a palace for me to retire to.

Our cities have begun flourishing under my rule! This year, the beginnings of a great road to connect Orelans and Paris have been completed. There is a peaceful village on the horizon, which my warriors have found and, I am told they will enter the town in the coming years.

Argh! The village was a home to wretched barbarians. Surely they will wreak havoc on my young empire. My warriors will fight brave to defend us, but will it be enough?

Noooooooo! My warrior fought bravely to defend Paris, but in the process, a group of workers have been slain! I call to the Gods to bring prosperity back to our people!

The Gods have responded to the devout worship of our people. New workers have been trained and are ready to complete the great road. Our warriors are exploring into the jungle and deserts, and the culture of my people is growing rapidly.

My blood runs cold with fury. More tribesmen have raided my warrior exploration to the west, but this time, I am prepared for their puny attacks with 3 able warriors and 2 more in production!

Thankfully, the Angle raiders have only taken a mere 10 gold from Orleans. My warriors fought bravely, and continue their expansion to the west.

My exploration has reached the sea, which I have named "Biscay". I have found many tribes that have offered gold, and my military stands as the second greatest in the world (or so my sources say).

A celtic tribe has shared with me the map of their region, I sense danger ahead, for they speak of an oppressive group of people that rival even my power. I am wary as my exploration continues.

A group of Parisians have discovered the art of Bronze Working! My greatest scientists have found a way to use this secret of the Gods to build more advanced weaponry and great structures!

The village of Lyons has been settled (2300 BC), further expanding my empire to the west, near Biscay.

Sadness fills my empire, as a group of Gothic warriors has defeated two of my empires best warrior regiments.

Our fourth great village has been founded (2110 BC) near the shores of Biscay, and the walls of Paris are in place to prevent enemy raids.

A French warrior has met with the "Greeks", a civilization far to the southwest of our empire. They have a powerful military, and have strong culture, but are scientifically our equal. We have traded technology, and hope to persue peaceful diplomacy in the future.

We have now made contact with the Egyptians, who are a haughty people of the northwest. However, we are able to trade for the wheel!

The Egyptians have asked that I remove my troops from their land, and I respectfully heeded their request. But my people do not like these Egyptians. I fear a long war in the coming years.

The long feared Egyptian war has begun. French elite warriors fought bravely against the Egyptian warriors in Elaphantine, but have failed. It is time to send troops to take land from the Egyptian scum.

The town of Tours has been founded (1400 BC) and the culture of France is spreading from coast to coast!

A system of using the Alphabet to create large documents, known as "writing" has been discovered, and an Embassy has been founded in Greece. Hopefully we can use this technology to trade.

Marsialles founded 1200 BC

Chartes founded 1150 BC

Sadly, the Egyptian armies have progressed faster than my own. We were forced to sign a peace treaty and offer Writing for that peace. We shall return, no doubt.

Avignon 750 BC

(got to caught up in the game to care about keeping a diary...as you can see the quality of my notations fall drastically)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What happened next was a long, drawn out war with the Egyptians that they gained the ultimate advantage of, mostly because I hadn't yet figured out the domestic aspect of the game (city control). Eventually, Egypt enlisted the help of Germans, Babylonians, and Chinese to fight against me...for the most part, I held off their advancing armies, but they made me work for it. I quit because I have an AoE MP game to go to soon

In general...
What I like about the game
Quick, easy install
Smooth, clean interface
AI smarts
AI expansion
Diplomacy options
Graphics - they just kick ass for a game that's not about graphics
Unit animations
Sounds - a lot of people complained about the music, I absolutely love it
Histograph and Replay - EXCELLENT!

What I don't like about the game
Double clicking the buttons (make it a single click!!)
Diplomacy Interface (quite complicated, IMO)
Scrolling - a slight delay, and no change of cursor to let you know that you're in scroll mode
Mini map - a start and an end, no way to go all the way around like in Civ 2
Technology: SLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW
The game didn't really give me that "just one more turn" feel...I'm kinda let down that I was able to pull myself away from it so easily, to be honest.

After viewing the histograph and replay, I realized that I was a cultural giant, and better off militarily than I thought. (Regent level). I think I just got screwed because I was placed in the middle of a giant continent with 4 powers close by, not to mention the fact that I haven't learned the ins and outs of the game yet. I also picked a civ with a late Golden Age.

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui