Old November 4, 2001, 01:32   #1
Acroyear
Settler

Local Time: 09:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Barbarian Camp BIG Spawns!!
OK, so I set up a quick scenario map, placed about 5 or 6 barbarian camps at fringes of an island I was going to develop. I was looking to see if I could get a Leader just by fighting barbarian camp spawns over and over. So I placed some mountains next to the camps, and had my guys, mostly Swordsmen and Spearmen fortify in the mountains and wait for the barbarians to attack each turn. Never got a leader, but right after i went into the Middle Ages, WHAM, I hear reports of massive barbarian uprisings. Each barbarian camp spawned 24 horsemen, yikes, my guys had work cut out for them!!! Had to reload auto save and bulk the positions up. Guess I pissed the AI off by trying to gain a leader the easy way. Damn AI is sneaky.. Never had a barbarian camp spawn like that during regular games, anyone else have this occur?
Old November 4, 2001, 02:56   #2
Spagina
Settler

Local Time: 15:59
Yes, I had an iron mining camp city in a huge mountain region. Since it was in the mountains, fog of war was hiding about 3 or 4 barbarian camps scattered all over the mountain range. About 100 years after I built the city and established a spearman in it, suddenly it told me that there were reports of a massive barbarian uprising. Before I knew it, I had barbarian horsemen streaming out of the mountain range into the small valley from all directions. I easily fought it off since the city was heavily fortified and I had the Great Wall Wonder built, but it was cool nonetheless.
Old November 4, 2001, 03:12   #3
Stromprophet
Warlord

Local Time: 09:59
Barbarians are ridiculous on Regent and King, they spawn like 20 units alot although they are weak and sad, it's still annoying.
Old November 4, 2001, 04:09   #4
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 07:59
I had about 10 cities & 2 barbarian camps on each side of me. Then *each* Barbarian Camp spawned 12 (I counted) Barbarians, so I was being swarmed by both sides. I was able to stop 1 group, but it led to the other city of mine being pillaged by 10 barbarians... and *each* barbarian got to pillage, destroy something, and/or get gold. And I didn't even have the barbarians on raging hoards, but the 1 down. If I did guess I would have had the "24" barbarians on each side instead of 12... while my other cities would have been on the dessert.

Edited to add: I think these Barbarian levels are great... if you don't like them lower the amount of barbarians from raging hoards (or whatever) to something else or none.
Old November 4, 2001, 08:06   #5
Grim Legacy
Prince

Local Time: 16:59
Lol? I always play Raging Hordes, and I've had about 4 re-spawning encampments on my continent... but I never had any uprising! I did battle them continuously though... contantly seeking out their camps and attacking them. Maybe that helps.
Old November 4, 2001, 08:19   #6
Grunthex
Warlord

Local Time: 08:59
TO the original poster. Firaxis has said that you can not gain a Great Leader fighting barbarians. They only come from victories against other civs. And, according to Soren, "Offensive victories are more likely to gain you a leader than defensive victories"