Old November 5, 2001, 00:14   #31
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 06:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Soren Johnson Firaxis

whoops... sorry for the confusion. Regular submarines cannot carry anything, including Cruise Missiles...
Sounds like Catch 22! So which subs carry Tomahawks? (Note Avatar)

GP taps foot...
Old November 5, 2001, 00:15   #32
freezuch
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:00
I lost twice on Regent level even though was winning easily on Prince level in Civ2. Then I followed the suggestion from the manual to drop my level a bit and succefully won space race on Warlord. I guess everyone lost at least once in Civ3 as it's totally different from the rest. Love this game though(even corruption can't take the fun of playing).
Old November 5, 2001, 00:26   #33
[LordLMP]

Quote:
Originally posted by Soren Johnson Firaxis
I am following this thread with interest for the patch.

Let me spell a few things out. Bombers have a 50% chance of being interecepted if you set your fighter on Air Superiority. The "interception range" of a Fighter is half of its Operational Range. Stealth Bombers, however, have only a 5% chance of being intercepted.

Thus, if the AI attacks you with a lot of Stealth Bombers, you will probably rarely see them be intercepted.

So, what have people experienced?

So is that why some people have complained that the Intercept didn't work? what happens if never does? what about the Coastal Fortress not firing at Enemy ships closeby?

Can we adjust the percentage in the rules?

-LMP

Old November 5, 2001, 19:41   #34
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Somebody with the game, please clarify. Do any subs carry cruise missiles?
Old November 5, 2001, 19:47   #35
wakamoto
Settler

Local Time: 10:00
No sub do not carry missile only nuclear sub. (manual - page 78 top paragraph)the cruise missile itself acting strange cannot go over the sea.

About interception. Now I changed my strategy of playing. Rather than waiting my stupid fighter to intercept, I use some of my fighter for bombing, thus when interception by computer occurs my plane can shoot them down.

that's my 2 cents.
Old November 5, 2001, 19:50   #36
Akaoz
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by GP
Somebody with the game, please clarify. Do any subs carry cruise missiles?
They only carry tac. nukes.

-Alech
Old November 5, 2001, 19:51   #37
wakamoto
Settler

Sorry can't edit my post so I post again

No sub do not carry missile only nuclear sub. (manual - page 78 top paragraph)the cruise missile itself acting strange cannot go over the sea.

About interception. Now I changed my strategy of playing. Rather than waiting my stupid fighter to intercept, I use some of my fighter for bombing, thus when interception by computer occurs my plane can shoot them down.

that's my 2 cents.
Old November 5, 2001, 20:08   #38
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

But cruise missiles are carried on subs irl.

Which units carry cruise missiles.
Old November 5, 2001, 20:12   #39
wakamoto
Settler

I'm trying to find that out too. I have tried load it to air carrier but unsuccesful. So I'm confused what the heck is this cruise missile for.

In civ 2 you can load it to sub marine up to 2 missiles of any kind!

if you find out let me know too.
Old November 5, 2001, 20:17   #40
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I don't have the game yet.
Old November 5, 2001, 20:30   #41
freezuch
Chieftain

You CAN'T load cruise missiles on anything. Only Nukes can be loaded on nuclear submarine.
Old November 5, 2001, 22:54   #42
Your.Master
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by CapTVK
So if you're being attacked by stealth bombers it's possible to score not a single hit. But if this non intercept happens with ordinary bombers someone must have forgotten to place a comma in the intercept formula.
Silly European, American is an English-speaking country: we Anglos use periods as decimals. So do programming languages, incidentally, unless there are other language compilers with decimals (come to think of it, there probably are, I've just never heard of non-English compilers).

High Lord of Good

You are unique, just like everybody else.
Old November 6, 2001, 01:27   #43
m_m_x
Warlord

Local Time: 18:00
firaxis
can u please herry up with a quick fix for the interception problem.
its ruin the game!!! i have no defence against those bombers!plzzzzzz....
Old November 6, 2001, 02:19   #44
Shiva
Prince

Why are the subs the same speed when the description says for the nuke sub says its faster?
The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.
Old November 6, 2001, 02:23   #45
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 12:00
I know- don't know why the subs are the same speed (probably late development change).

Check out my mod for increased sub attributes- click my sig:
Old November 6, 2001, 09:30   #46
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Please post the direct link.

I and many other users have "turned off" signatures.
Old November 7, 2001, 00:20   #47
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...100#post586456
Old November 7, 2001, 13:41   #48
playshogi
BtS Tri-League

I checked stealth fighter in the editor. Interceptions is NOT checked. Maybe this box should be checked and that will fix the problem
Old November 7, 2001, 13:54   #49
dr.charm
Chieftain

What about the standard fighter... is interceptions checked there?

Cheers,

Dr. Charm
Old November 7, 2001, 13:55   #50
Gyromancer
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 11:00
Quote:
Originally posted by freezuch
You CAN'T load cruise missiles on anything. Only Nukes can be loaded on nuclear submarine.
They are one shot artillery. The game treats them as ground units. (So, you can load on transports....)
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness... T. Jefferson "The Declaration of Independence"
Old November 7, 2001, 14:10   #51
rickb
Settler

Stealth Fighters can't perform air superiority missions. Given the fact they use a picture of an F-117 instead of a F-22 like in Civ2 that's "realistic"

BTW, you can make the subs carry cruise missiles if you set its tactical missile flag in the editor. I also make it so the battleship and AEGIS can carry them as well, and make it so you can airlift them as well as well as bumping the range up to 4.

Soren, is there a bug with the precision bombing? I can only target my own cities.
Old November 7, 2001, 15:29   #52
Aiya
Settler

Local Time: 11:00
Quote:
Originally posted by Gyromancer

They are one shot artillery. The game treats them as ground units. (So, you can load on transports....)

I am not at that point yet, but can someone verify if you can shoot a cruise missile while it's on a transport? This way, the transport will be the dedicated missile destroyer of my soon-to-be modern fleet.
Old November 7, 2001, 15:46   #53
Yohan
Chieftain

Back to the original topic...

I'll repost what I said in another thread, because Soren seems to be monitoring this one. I played a game where 3 of my cities each had 2 fighters and were being bombarded every turn for 20 or so turns--not a single successful interception. Regular bombers, regular fighters, no stealth.

I have yet to see a successful interception.
Old November 7, 2001, 22:32   #54
wakamoto
Settler

What about the Precision bombing? First, I couldn't use precision bombing against the enemy city. Then I thought I might need to Investigate the city that I am about to launch the precision bombing.

But no matter what I did, either investigate first or not the Icon did not change to the bombing icon and it did not work.

I'm getting tired to find an answer about all this bombing, fighter stuff. I can only hope that maybe all these confusion and bugs had been discussed and aswered at the chat session with Soren today.
Old November 8, 2001, 09:08   #55
shammy
Chieftain

fighters/jet fighters
so.. bombers (normal ones) have a 50% chance of being intercepted? is that same percentage when they do a bombing run against a city that is defended by modern jet fighters with air to air missiles and radar / when the city has SAM missile battery?
if it is.. why
Old November 8, 2001, 11:34   #56
justgivemeaname
Settler

Bug.

I foolishly built a fleet of about 15 F-15s to compliment my horde of stealth bombers.

Too bad they're completely useless for two reasons:

1) They can't intercept **** due to the bug (and yes it's a bug, I had an enemy Civ launch 9 bombers at a single city (which btw had every single f-15 I owned .. that's to say 15 of them all set to air superiority - I quadruple checked to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong) for 6 turns in a row. The AI targetted tiles immediately in the citiy's radius and the city itself and I never had a single interception.

2) Precision bombing is bugged too - you can't target any city but your OWN cities with precision bombing - LOL. Let's see, guess there'd be NO REASON WHATSOEVER for a player to want to precision bomb any cities but his own .

Speaking of bugs, I ran into another nasty bug that basically gives you more money then you could ever spend. I think I'll go devote a thread to it.