Old November 4, 2001, 03:55   #1
gwormuth3
Settler

Local Time: 16:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Corruption/Waste Problems in Democracy
I've got a bizarre problem in my first ever Civ3 game. I'm on a very large continent with lots of cities (42). My capital is at the north side, so it is quite a ways from the cities at the south end. The year is 1776. I was going along in Monarchy and had serious waste/corruption problems. In fact many of my cities on the south end would produce double-digit shields, but would waste all but one. Some of these even had courthouses. So, I switched to Democracy. No change. I gave it a few turns for democracy to "sink in," but no luck. The display shows me as a Democracy but there's been no change. Still got the exact same waste/corruption figures as before. Even have waste/corruption in cities relatively close to the capital with courthouses in them. I didn't check what my corruption figures were before the switch to Democracy by now, according to my Domestic Advisor, I make overall income is 1104 and 510 is lost to corruption. I don't even think I'm getting the extra commerce in each square where one was being produced before. I have not been at war since I switched to Democracy. My culture is pretty high (19580). There is at least one military unit in each city. Am I missing something, or is something seriously wrong?
Old November 4, 2001, 04:40   #2
Leonid
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:00
Yes you have way to many cities. After about 20 or so you start gettign crippling corruption no matter what government. The problem is not distance from capital. Courthouse and forbidden palace can help that.

Problem is ya got 42 cities. This game is designed against ICS and weighted heavily in favor of fewer large well developed cities. It is also weighted against "counquer the world" type of playing where you try to get as many cities and take as many over as possible. Much different than civ2 in thoise respects. I say you build no more cities and concentrate on your core group around your capitol.

i think 21 is th emax number of cities you can have on a standard map, after that it is nto worth taking any ove ror building any more. if you go to war I advise razzing the conquered cities to the ground. So your troops arent tied up quelling resistence to a city that is totally useless and gives you 1 commerce and 1 shield, and you need 4 of your units to keep it in line.
Old November 4, 2001, 06:00   #3
imgod2u
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:00
That's not realistic at all. Why would a civilization be bound by a number of cities? The US along has thousands upon thousands of cities.
Old November 4, 2001, 06:02   #4
Leonid
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:00
It's a bid by firaxis to stop the cheesy ICS exploits.