Old November 26, 2001, 00:25   #61
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 12:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
i find this thread VERY amusing - the issues raised here came up in a different context - my obsesive crusade some months back against Civ specific units/attributes. To refresh everyones memories, i objected on historical grounds. The response was that I could adjust it so that these could be excluded from the game.

This left 2 concerns A. The AI could not adjust B. Strategy discussions would assume the standard rules, not mine, and so would not be applicable to my games.

Now i have not played the game yet, and cannot judge, but so far i am optimistic. Sorens statements about the AI respond directly to concern A, and I will take him as correct until i see evidence to the contrary. Its harder for me judge on B, but it seems unreasonable to subordinate the game to the online discussion of the game.

I think these same considerations apply similarly to the issues under discussion here.

LOTM
Old November 26, 2001, 00:37   #62
Badtz Maru
Prince

Local Time: 10:02
You should play with the editor, it adds a lot of fun to the game. I just started messing with it seriously today. It doesn't detract from the way the game was originally intended - after playing a game with my own custom rules I did one with the defaults and I didn't feel like it was ruined for me. I just enjoyed the chance to be creative.

It was fun to play a game where the Indian UU was quite a bit more powerful than the knight, but required access to Ivory to make it, a game where game could be found in jungles (and many other resources were tweaked as well), where the Republic wasn't just a weaker form of Democracy but had a few minor advantages over it. It's fun to have Longbowmen who have a weak bombardment ability and submarines that are useful. I didn't just do things to make the game easier, I made the University generate unhappy citizens (more unrest and protest in college towns) and did some other balancing changes. I don't think my version of the game is better than the default (I know there's got to be some serious balance issues in there, since I added at least one point to either attack, defense, or movement on every UU), but it's a refreshing change. It makes the UN useful even with diplomatic victory disabled because it acts the same as the Great Library.

Arrgh, I can't wait to get back home and try some new changes. I gotta figure out a way to make Pikemen preferable to Hoplites now...
Old November 26, 2001, 20:57   #63
oedo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 17:02
Re: Too many people cheating in Civ III?
Quote:
Originally posted by KoalaBear33
How come the solution to everything that you don't like is to change it in the editor? This is cheating and I can't believe so many people are endorsing/doing it. If corruption is very high, resources are too low, science too slow, and so on, it's part of the goals of the developer. If you go and change what's the point? You are basically circumventing the game to suit your desires...

KoalaBear33
I absolutely agree! people who cheat against the AI should get jailed