Old November 4, 2001, 18:50   #1
Spagina
Settler

Local Time: 16:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Ghost of Cleopatra!
I'm halfway through a new game I just started last night. It's on a standard sized map, 8 civs, and 2 continents being occupied by these various civs. I started my game right smack in the middle of the Egyptians, Americans, Iroquois, and the Greeks, and consequently, I get a lot of AI settler and troop movement through my territories. In fact, it got so bad, the Egyptians were acting like my territory was their own, even though my culture absolutely smashed everyone else. I finally became fed up with their free reign on my land I massed a colossal army of cavalry. I then commenced to just stomp the Egyptians back to the Stone Age and out of Existence, or so I thought.

After I conquered to be what I thought was the final Egyptian city, I wasn't met by any Egyptians conquered message, nope, Cleopatra was still in power somehow. I agreed to peace with her and asked for her territory and world maps, we exchanged. No Egyptian cities, she is bringing in no gold on her swap options, she has ABSOLUTELY nothing. To top it all off, some of the old Egyptian cities I conquered are still trying to switch back to the Egyptian empire, so I have to run around and squash the rebellions in my land. I've had acouple switch over from Egyptian culture, but this is driving me nuts. There is no Egyptian city, and the lousy b**** is causing havoc in my conquered lands.

Is this some bug? If she has boats roaming around at sea, do I have to kill them off to kill off the entire empire?

I have the Ghost of Cleopatra lurking around my empire causing chaos and I don't know what to do!!

Thanks for your time.
Old November 4, 2001, 19:16   #2
IBNobody
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:03
She still has a settler somewhere.

- Nobody
Old November 4, 2001, 19:34   #3
Setsuna
Warlord

Local Time: 11:03
No, I think it's just restarting eliminated players. I looked at a replay of mine and the two AIs I defeated wound up on opposite ends of the continent a single turn after being defeated (Or was it the same turn? I don't remember.)
Old November 4, 2001, 19:35   #4
MxM
Warlord

Local Time: 12:03
How do you know that she does not have any cities? She might have one small city, and because it is capital, it will not be shown in diplomacy screen when you try to ask for a city. Also it is very hard to notice this city on the map. I had exactly the same situation with Egyptians, but I have managed to find their last city.
Old November 4, 2001, 21:29   #5
Apolex
Warlord

I had the same problem with the ghost of Caeser. I smashed all his cities, but he kept showing up talking to me asking for peace. I searched all over the dang planet for his "hidden city" but couldn't find it so I gave up looking.

A couple of turns later, I see this red ship next to my shoreline, and about 8 Persian ships blow it to Smithereens. Then my little dude shows up and says, "The rampaging Persian armies have destroyed the Romans." Heh... he gets the credit after I did all the hard work!

So yeah, I would suggest trying to find Mistress Cleo's little boat hiding at the north pole or somewhere hehe.

-Apolex
Old November 4, 2001, 21:33   #6
Akillias
Chieftain

The Ai Cheat And They are Piss Me Off With Their Expansioning Speed
Old November 4, 2001, 21:59   #7
Nemo
Prince

its not a ghost, not a bug. there is a settler somewhere. i have killed all of the zulus only to see a caravel escape the last city at the last moment. there were no more cities, but the zulus lived until i killed that ship with the settler on it, then i got the "you killed the zulus" message. ...there is a settler somewhere, you just have to find it.
Old November 4, 2001, 22:01   #8
Nemo
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Akillias
The Ai Cheat And They are Piss Me Off With Their Expansioning Speed
the non-expansionist civs still expand like crazy, and it is REALLy annoying...agreed. but the ai only cheats if you are playing king or above.
Old November 4, 2001, 22:53   #9
Kc7mxo
King

Quote:
but the ai only cheats if you are playing king or above.
Hah.
Old November 5, 2001, 00:51   #10
Spagina
Settler

Well, I know for a fact that she has no cities, not even the map screen when you retire show's a yellow dot anywhere on the globe, so she must have a boat running around somewhere in the vasty deep. Thanks for the input guys, I'll send out a fleet to hunt her down.
Old November 5, 2001, 03:47   #11
Rust
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:03
I have had a city taken over and to this day I still see all the action in and around the area. It's just one city off on another continent.
Old November 5, 2001, 09:34   #12
treedom
Chieftain

I noticed something like this too. The Japanese were attacked by a couple other civs, and then the rest of the world (including me ) joined in on the land grab (reminded me of Imperialism II actually).

I grabbed a city, then the next turn the last Japanese city fell, and I was expecting one of those 'Japanese civilization destroyed by the Persians' messages. Instead, Tokugawa requests an audience with me and asks for peace. Weird. I accepted, but asked for his maps. He had no cities anywhere.

But, after a couple turns he took back one of his conquered cities. I don't know how because of the Fog of War, though. Is this because units aren't supported by cities anymore, and he could still afford to pay some for a while after his last city fell? Is it because culture gives him a chance for some of his old cities to convert back to his civ?
Old November 6, 2001, 00:10   #13
Vladimir Taltos
Settler

Ghost of Ghandi
My brave Chinese riders ravaged the Indian Empire (and made me BELIEVE in fast units). After taking over his last city, I was surprised to see that he did not die. I assumed that he had another city somewhere. I did notice a little galley that was floating in the middle of nowhere, but was not worried about it. Gandhi sued for peace, and I was able to force him to give a world and territory map for it. Strangely no new terrain appeared, and there were no other Indian cities. Thinking he tricked me somehow, I shrugged and turned to the task of assimilating my new cities. A few turns later, Bombay and another city suddenly revolted back to India. This really made me irate since one of my two Rider armys was in Bombay and it was killed. Furious, I declared war on the Indians and took back the cities the next turn. Unable to find his other cities, I sent a couple of ships after the galley and killed it. When that happened, I got the message that I had defeated the Indians! I must conclude that the royal family had fled to the boat and was coordinating revolts from exile. So, when you take your enemy's last city and he isn't dead yet, check the coastlines.
Old November 6, 2001, 02:34   #14
Spagina
Settler

Well, in my game, in fact Cleoptra was exiled on a boat right off of my northern coast. I made peace with her though and the cities finally stopped trying to switch over to Egypt. About 300 years after her last city was conquered, and 290 years after making peace with Cleopatra, I finally saw the Egyptian empire was killed message. I zoomed up north to the coast and saw that acouple barbarian boats did in Cleopatra's yacht. I broke out laughing.