Old November 5, 2001, 04:49   #1
mcaber
Settler

Local Time: 16:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How to be 1st constructing a wonder?
Hello all,

I considered myself a better than average Civ II player, always played deity level and did a pretty good job of it.

In Civ III Iīve fooled around with king level and it is hard!

This is my short-term goal: Construct Great Library and Hanging Gardens in my capital, but the other civs *always* beat me to it. Itīs so frustrating! I donīt understand were they get the shields from....

What are the strategies to be 1st on a wonder? Something like:
1. Build first city
2. Make one spearmen
3. Make on settler
4. Start constructing wonder

City 2:
1. Make workers (and add them to your capital)

Anyone managed to construct more than two of Ancient era wonders at king level?
Old November 5, 2001, 05:31   #2
MeaCulpa
Chieftain

Well, I've come to realize that you don't build wonders at all.

No, seriously: I don't see how your strategy works for Gardens (=monarchy) and Library (=writing+ (?) ), as it will take you some time to be able to build them at all. Which leads me to the advice: if you want them, get the technologies asap. Of course you can use the ('build-fake-palace' trick to get a decent kickstart even before research is done). And building them in a city near a river doesn't hurt either, as the city can grow to 12 instead of 6. Build mines on every tile, and you should get an impressive power house.

My personal opinion: I am playing as Regent right now, and there are some wonders you simply don't build. E.g. the comps are going heavily for Pyramids (some even start with the tech, don't they ?). On the other hand, I often was able to build the Hanging Gardens; it doesn't seem to attract them as much. At least, I rule in the modern age after industrialization: I built all but Manhatten (damm uranium).

Oh, and about your question where the comps get the shields from: they cheat.
Old November 5, 2001, 05:48   #3
EnderSword
Settler

Local Time: 12:06
The Computer does cheat. I think at Deity it is actually impossible to be the first to The Pyramids. I've been playing a game where i've had a perfect start over and over (luxury with my starting city radius, surrounded by 3 forests, a rivers and 4 sheild things on grassland/river....First goodie hut was 3 steps away, had a settler in it)

I've been Building Warrior, then Worker, starting some 'til i switch to temple then adding workers back to city once the developped and connected the luxury and building the pyramid as soon as temple is done.

By turn 1600BC I've got 20 turns left of the pyramid, pop 6, no city growth, shortage actually and the Greeks finish the pyramids.
note The English and Persians finish the Oracle and Colossus at around 2000BC, so those are right out.

They Totally cheat, and so badly. Making it harder to beat deity isn't necessarily better AI as much as it is a game stacked in their favour. I'm gonna make the assumption they don't suffer the same disorder and corruption drawbacks we do either.

if anyone can figure out how to build pyramids let me know
Old November 5, 2001, 07:24   #4
Lord Maxwell
Prince

EnderSword: Firaxis long ago admitted that the AI is just as smart on chieftain as on deity.

The AI definitely gets a production bonus, and most likely has the inverse order of starting content citizens as you do.

It definitely gets a huge science bonus. (Neighbouring civs that are smaller, non-scientific and lack communication with any other civ still has more tech than me.)
Old November 5, 2001, 07:58   #5
mcaber
Settler

MeaCulpa, you donīt build wonders at all?
Of course I need to research Literacy and Monarchy ASAP. The build fake palace trick was new to me, but it seems like a good tip. Otherwise, couldnīt you start on Pyramids and then change?

And now for the real newbie question (I should check this one out for myself, instead of embarrasing myself, but Iīm at work so I canīt): Can you build mines on grasslands?!
Old November 5, 2001, 11:04   #6
MeaCulpa
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by mcaber
MeaCulpa, you donīt build wonders at all?
Please notice my smilie. But you are right, some wonders I simply don't try building anymore. Especially those in antique which I can compensate with a city improvement anyway later when there are 'nothing-left-to-build' phases. One might argue that your expansion will be speed up by faster city growth (Pyramids), but don't forget that an apparantly good city will be blocked many turns for wonder building instead of supporting your expansion. And a city size of 6 is quickly reached even without a granary.

Quote:
Of course I need to research Literacy and Monarchy ASAP. The build fake palace trick was new to me, but it seems like a good tip. Otherwise, couldnīt you start on Pyramids and then change?
You can, but you are forced now to change your wonder building one turn after it has been completed by another civ, and if you don't have a wonder to change to, a lot of shields are lost. I am thinking either of your capital where you can't switch to palace, or if you have too much shields already (more than a palace needs).

Quote:
And now for the real newbie question (I should check this one out for myself, instead of embarrasing myself, but Iīm at work so I canīt): Can you build mines on grasslands?!
Not really a newbie question. I was wondering myself why the comps always build mines on every tile, but then I learned from the civilpaedia (?) that mining always gives one more shield. And later, you can change them into irrigated.
Old November 5, 2001, 12:26   #7
MaSsConFUsi0n
Chieftain

if you want those wonder, just wait till the enemy builds them and go take those cities

oh btw, meaculpa, nice name!!

MaSsConFUsi0n
Old November 6, 2001, 00:18   #8
EnderSword
Settler

Local Time: 12:06
Woohoo, i just comleted The pyramids at Deity. Quite hard to do, did it with like 2 turns to spare. you gotta have access to a luxury like right away and be willing to dump your worker back into your starting city.
however after completing this feat and have the AI finish the great library about 10 turns laterit occured to me i'd rather have that wonder and I see no way to get both.
i'm gonna try again, act like i'm building the pyrmaids and try and rush tech to literature then switch....then attack whoever built pyramids =)
Old November 6, 2001, 11:19   #9
Delbert
Settler

Here is the difficulty level Effects for the game.
Chieftain, your first 4 citiezen are born content, after that they are unhappy.

the opponent build advance rate is 200% (i.e. they need twice as much as you)

barbarian combat bonus is 400 %

Warlord its 3 citizens, 120% build/advance rate, and 200% barbarian combat

at

Prince its 2 citizens, 100% build/advance rate, and 100% barbarian combat

All players are equal.

at

King its 2 citizens, 90% build/advance rate, and 50% barbarian combat

at

Emperor its 1 citizens, 80% build/advance rate, and 25% barbarian combat

and finialy at

Deity its 1 citizens content, 60% build/advance rate for your opponent, and 0% barbarian combat bonus.

Delbert