Old November 5, 2001, 17:56   #1
Ray K
Prince

Local Time: 11:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ3 comments
I just wanted to say that I have found Civ3 to be the most enjoyable of the series. I played Civ and Civ2 heavily, and this version is already better than them.

Playing Regent on a Tiny map with 16 civs has created a lot of intense combat, and I'm only now (beginning Industrial era) beginning to really distance myself from the pack.

The only way to keep up technologically is to heavily trade advances, which means you can't go it alone.

Other than the unbalanced corruption on the Small and Tiny maps, I only have a few other complaints:

1) sometimes the AI overvalues a worthless tech. Music Theory should not sell for as much as it does, since I am only selling it once I am one turn away from J.S. Bach's.

2) the AI too easily trades with me even though I have aggressively expanded (i.e. war) against other Civs.

3) fresh-water seems too rare, but this may only be a problem with the smaller maps. I am lucky to find/conquer once source of fresh water by the middle ages.

4) the whole "Leader" feature and the Heroic Epic and Military Academy wonders are not well thought-out. It takes forever to get a leader, and both wonders requires a leader and successful army before they can be built. The benefits of the Heroic Epic, at least, do not justify this since it only makes it easier to find leaders. Its prereqs need to be watered down significantly.

Still, those are very minor points. This is a great game!