Old November 5, 2001, 23:03   #1
Framnk
Settler

Local Time: 16:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Bombardment Quirks...
Has anyone else noticed a possible quirky bug with bombardment? I sat for about 20 turns bombarding a city with 2 battleships, with no effect (not bombardment failed, just nothing!) After a while I moved one of the battleships to the other side of the city and WHAMMO next turn and thereafter bombardment a-plenty
Old November 5, 2001, 23:14   #2
CivPatriot
Mac
Warlord

Local Time: 11:09
i've seen that too, not just with battleships but with other units doing bombardment, I dunno if it's me not paying close enough attention, but there seems to be a problem with this.
Old November 5, 2001, 23:17   #3
Sir Jimbob
Settler

I've noticed this too...

I've also noticed something of a bug... I have a bomber on a carrier... making bombing runs on an enemy city... I do this many many times... finally that city gets air defence...in the form of jet fighter... my bomber goes to make run.... bombs city.... game freezes.... Happens everytime.... after multiple restarts....
Old November 5, 2001, 23:21   #4
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

I think is may be a gameplay quirk.

I'm playing America and the Aztecs was just above me, blocking my path to explore the large open continent we share. And for some stupid reason, the Aztecs got all the goodies. So i declared war on them.

When i started bombarding their incoming units, i could get the enemy unit's hp down to 1, but further bombardment will have no effect. You'll have to "finish off" the unit with a non bombardment unit.

Same with cities. When you get their pop down to 1, and you've destroyed all their improvements, you can't do any more damage. ground troops must come in to finish the job.
Old November 5, 2001, 23:25   #5
Framnk
Settler

forgot to mention...
BTW, this was actually NOT a case where the city was down to size 1 (it was 6 I remember quite clearly! ) and I could see that there was a defending unit whose health NEVER dropped
Old November 5, 2001, 23:36   #6
Altuar
Warlord

It makes sense for bombardment to go only so far - leaving 1 hp is a good choice.

But the bombardment values should be increased across the board. Battleship guns were devastating for the Germans in Normandy (while they were in range) and artillery has been a substantial part of every army since the Napoleonic era.

In the game, arty is next to useless. it doesnt make any sense for a speed 1 arty unit (and WWII saw the advent of self-propelled arty to keep up with mech units) while my tanks roll over the enemy.

So, here is my suggestion to the Firaxians: make radar arty available earlier; maybe with Modern Armor, perhaps even earlier. You can always change the name from futuristic sounding radar arty to self-propelled arty or somefink!
Old November 5, 2001, 23:43   #7
CivPatriot
Mac
Warlord

it didn't only occur on cities that had more than 1 pop witha defending unit that had more than 1hp but also on open ground with a unit defending(again with more than 1hp) and with improvements. I might be seeing thigns(or not seeing things, but I doubt it)