Old November 6, 2001, 00:01   #1
CyberGnu
King

Local Time: 16:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The weirdest complaint so far...
OK, here goes:

Why isn't there a way to go around the keyboard commands using the mouse? Would it hurt to have all the possible keyboard commands available by rightclicking on the unit/build/whatever.

Now, before the flaming commenses (Civ3 is for able bodied people with two hands or more etc etc), the main reason I want to avoid shortcuts is my preferred playing position... In my bed, with my laptop perched on my chest. When I'm lying down I can't see the keyboard, and it is a pain in the gluteus to have to lift up the whole thing, find the key, press it and then keep playing... The 'shortcuts' are in fact slowing down my game...

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the existance of shortcuts. I just don't want to be dependant on them.
Old November 6, 2001, 00:24   #2
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 09:09
Aaahh -- the advantage of menus!

I wonder if Civ3/Macintosh will have menus. It could force me to get a new Mac, as mine is a 350Mhz G3. Probably would be slow as molasses. By the time I could afford it, I would probably be comfortable with it on my new Wintel (bought specifically for this game).

BTW, I LOVE this game!*

*Aside from the confirmed (by Firaxis) 'bugs'.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old November 6, 2001, 00:28   #3
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Personally, I'd rather the menus don't get cluttered up with a ton of different options and commands. And I find it easier to just hit the key, anyways.
Old November 6, 2001, 00:34   #4
CyberGnu
King

but most of these things doesn't have menues... If you right click on a worker, for example, nothing happens. Why not put in all the things he can do there (like in SMAC)? Especially since some of the most useful automated commands are buried deep in the manual...

'Hmm, let's see now, what was it to build railroads everywhere? CTRL-R? CTRL-D? CTRL-ESC-ALT-566743345632-W?'

And since having a computer on my stomach keeps me from getting up to read the manual, I won't find out, either...

Osweld, if you like the keys, fine, I have no argument with that. As I said, I don';t think they should be taken out. If I'm sitting up I use them as well. But I don't like being FORCED to use them, you see?
Old November 6, 2001, 00:47   #5
SITS
King

I must admit I hate the build railway to(somewhere) hotkeys - CTRL-SHFT-R. It hurts my fingers to keep doing it! And while I'm on about it why oh why isn't build railroad R like in the previous Civs?
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna

Last edited by SITS; November 6, 2001 at 00:58.
Old November 6, 2001, 01:09   #6
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 12:09
Cyber, look at the bottom of the Civ3 screen, those golden colored circle buttons... those are all the things that worker/troop can do.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old November 6, 2001, 01:30   #7
Timeline
King

Local Time: 11:09
Imran - I think he is referring to the advanced auto options. Stuff like clean up pollution (ctrl-p) and build roads only (ctrl-r).

For now, ctrl-i doesn't work (auto improve this city only).
Old November 6, 2001, 16:10   #8
CyberGnu
King

Imran, Timeline is absolutely correct.

Also, is there any way to queue a build without hitting shift? I don't think so...
Old November 6, 2001, 17:45   #9
kmj
Prince

Local Time: 11:09
(an effort to help): possibly (as far as city queues go), you could make things easier for all mouse control if you set up your governers to your liking ahead of time? I don't know if that helps at all, because I haven't touched the governers (preferring a manual approach), but maybe this will make things easier in that respect.