Old December 8, 2001, 23:37   #181
Hoek
Prince

Local Time: 11:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I would like some recommendations for other strategy games that are better, offer more customization, and the company is more responsive. Any suggestions?
Old December 9, 2001, 00:29   #182
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 10:10
Like I said, I've gone back to Test of Time. Most people who don't like it say it's because of the graphics, which I'll admit are pretty bad. However, there are several mods to fix that, available on Cradle of Civilization. Another complaint is the lack of built-in editors. Ironically, ToT is a hundred times more modifyable with Word and any basic paint program then Civ3 with its' fancy built-in editor.

ToT has triple the events cap of Civ2 FW, plus a dramatically enhanced events language. It has more unit slots and extra technology slots, multiple interconnected maps, impassible terrain, invisible units and unbribable units - all individually programmable. What most people don't realize is that the AI has been tweaked and is more dangerous than in standard Civ2.

And when many Civ fans (including me) complained about the graphics and lack of editors in these forums, the Microprose staff (take a bow, John Possidente!) stayed with it, patiently answering questions and telling us what was and wasn't possible with the patch. It's a classic game and a class act.
Old December 11, 2001, 17:06   #183
Marko
Prince

Local Time: 16:10
I started loving the ToT from the moment when AI landed a transport with 8 tanks to my coast.

Since 1999 all my single player games has been in ToT. I use MGE only for scenarios. And after finishing TSFE I'll start making scenarios for ToT. Actually I can't wait it! Using several levels of flags/masks and other triggers in combination with Moveunit commands it is possible to make TREMENDOUS, almost human-level AI.
Old December 11, 2001, 20:28   #184
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 00:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Hoek
I would like some recommendations for other strategy games that are better, offer more customization, and the company is more responsive. Any suggestions?
I'm going for EU2 (Hopefully it will show up today! )
This second version allows you to play almost any one of a hundred-odd different countries right out of the box. Info is stored primarily in easily edittable text files and while the map/units can't be customized very much the depth of gameplay looks simply amazing.
Also Paradox developers etc seem very aware of their customers wants and communicate regularly about all aspects of the game.
I think even Yin got to like EU eventually.

www.europa-universalis.com

[Edit: added link]

Last edited by ravagon; December 11, 2001 at 20:56.
Old December 11, 2001, 21:14   #185
jbrians
Chieftain

Re: Re: *bump*
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
the patch was probably delayed for one more week or something. a list of features will be posted only a couple of days before, perhaps even on the same day

expansion pack are usually not announced only 30 days after release....
Sorry for being dense here:
Am I correct in believing that the announcement you refer to has not yet been made about the editor; the patch rekeased already was seperate. Clearly it did not address the issue of content-creation in the editor.
-Brian
Old December 11, 2001, 21:33   #186
Dravin
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:10
Okay, I've seen the term 'flat map' bandied about a couple times and was wondering exactly what this refers to. The maps in Civ III (And the editor) look flat to me.
Old December 11, 2001, 22:15   #187
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 12:10
Flat Maps
Where the right and left edge of the map are the 'end of the Earth'. This would allow a Map to be created of say just Europe for the explicite use for creating a scenario of WWII, WWI, The Hundred Years War, The Expansion of Rome, The Napolianic Wars, Etc.... A Flat map keeps any unit from coming 'Around the World' when your Map only defines a small area of it.

E_T
Old December 11, 2001, 23:22   #188
Cluk
Settler

Local Time: 08:10
This thread has really destroyed my opinion of firaxis. It's one thing not to include every last feature that nine people demand, but delibirately ignoring criticism because they might look worse is just terrible. I'm gonna play Tropico.
Old December 11, 2001, 23:56   #189
Dravin
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:10
Re: Flat Maps
Quote:
Originally posted by E_T
Where the right and left edge of the map are the 'end of the Earth'. This would allow a Map to be created of say just Europe for the explicite use for creating a scenario of WWII, WWI, The Hundred Years War, The Expansion of Rome, The Napolianic Wars, Etc.... A Flat map keeps any unit from coming 'Around the World' when your Map only defines a small area of it.

E_T
Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification.
Old January 21, 2002, 00:50   #190
Civfan
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Prince

*bump* whats the news?
Old January 21, 2002, 06:18   #191
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 11:10
Elvis died.
Old January 21, 2002, 06:22   #192
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 04:10
And still no patch or news to that effect.
Old January 21, 2002, 07:41   #193
paulmagusnet
Warlord

Editing
It would be nice to have a great editor with all the features requested, but first, I would rather have a better game.

It IS a sloppy effor, in as far as this is a third generation, 21st century product.

Far too much effort was placed in areas that added nothing to the game or detracted significantly from it. (the juvinile end screens, barbarian bell ringer and nonsensical paperclip personalities, nodding heads, etc).

User interface was actually degraded to force interaction with the 'advisors' when totally unnecessary.

No one play tested this game before release, and the basic player strategy is still to pump out units and cities as fast as possible. At least CTP tried to push the envelope and treat you as an adult, for all its other failures.

If you are dissatisfied, return the game for a refund. This is the only advice that the publisher will really listen to.

Dispite some very good new features, as a whole, the game is a great disapointment. I deleated from my disk.

The good news is that MOO3 is being done by another company.
Old May 2, 2002, 01:58   #194
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 02:10
*bump*
With the news that scenarios are being added to Civ 3, I thought that I'd give this a bit of a bump.
Old May 2, 2002, 02:33   #195
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 18:10
I myself don't make scenarios, never did, but I think a better editor should be included in the upcoming expansion pack.

I fully support the scenario community in their desire to have a good (not only scenarion, but also mod) editor.

Com'on Firaxis, it's in our commom interest!
--Woody Allen