Old November 6, 2001, 11:11   #1
mtrx
Settler

Local Time: 16:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
freakin aztechs
ok, heres the scene..
i started playing with the easiest diff
and lucky me i got a whole continent to myself while the other civs shared another continent

so, here i am playing without interuptions, so i could focus on my science more..
then i start venturing across the ocean and meet the aztechs..
sure, they are nice.. but then they start demanding techs from me

bearing in mind that their civ was lame, but big (they were still using their first unit.. jaguar i think) i ignored them so they declared war on me

what the heck, i figured that i might as well go on and destroy them with my roman legionaires..
i capture and destroy a few cities since they had many units to take back the cities (reminds me of zergling)

so, anyhow.. i go on with my elite legionaires forming 3 armies to protect 1 city.. and they started to fight back.. man every round they sent in at least 20-30 units to kill my armies.. and i managed to fend them off..

then i noticed, their units dont die, they just run away, heal themselves and come back for more action..

i mean, how unfair is that.. i keep getting pounded and dont get any experience for it...

so, i keep on playing.. sending in more legionaires.. then i get hold of some saltpeper.. and start producing musketmen

know what, their jaguars and bowmen kicked almost all of my musketmen.. i am defending.. so my units have defense of 4 and their units have attack of 2.. so what gives?

no problem.. my trusty armies still protected the cities.. then i got nationalism.. upgraded all my musketmen to rifflemen

still MY ARMY OF 4 RIFFLEMEN got defeated by a lone longbowman
how sick is that?
if that was a fluke its allright, then another army got its ass kicked by their lone knight

arghhhhh...

is there something wrong or what? any suggestions as to how fights are played out.. all this while i thought it was based on your units skill not some weird luck of 1 unit vs 1 army

if anyone managed to read my post up to this line, i thank you sincerely from the bottom of my heart

NOT
Old November 6, 2001, 11:14   #2
EEKthedog
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:12
Those damn Aztecs

Perhaps ask some Spanish dudes on how they got rid of them
Old November 6, 2001, 15:24   #3
Green Giant
Warlord

Local Time: 10:12
I love playing as the aztecs. Those jaguar warriors are brutal. If you can't beat'em, join'em.
Old November 6, 2001, 20:36   #4
gfrazieror
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:12
"still MY ARMY OF 4 RIFFLEMEN got defeated by a lone longbowman
how sick is that?
if that was a fluke its allright, then another army got its ass kicked by their lone knight "

This seems to be a behavior similar to the combat system in Civ, in which idiocies like a lone phalanx defeating a battleship or tank would drive me nuts. Which is why the firepower system was developed for Civ II. Now that's gone, and we're back to seriously silly combat outcomes like you describe.
Old November 6, 2001, 21:22   #5
pchang
King

Local Time: 16:12
The key is to build units with more movement points. If your defenders move as fast as the attackers, the attackers can no longer retreat.

If social security were private, it would be prosecuted as a Ponzi scheme.