Old November 6, 2001, 11:18   #1
PresidentMike
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Cruise Missiles: Some Suggestions
In the list of needed additions and/or bugs to be fixed, this is pretty minor. Nevertheless, I'd like to see Firaxis give some thought to updating cruise missiles.

1) Range
Early cruise missiles (like the V1) had only a short range; the V1's fired at London came from the Pas de Calais, for example. Now, our ships in the Indian Ocean can shoot missiles at Afghanistan, several hundred miles away. I propose that the range of the missiles be increased to at least 8, if not higher.

2) Bases
Cruise missiles are carried on board ships and submarines in the real world: why aren't they carried on ships and subs in the civ world? My proposal: each aegis cruise could carry 2 cruise missiles, each nuclear submarine could carry 1.

3) Smart Weapons
Modern missiles are capable of extremley accurate attacks. Cruise missiles, along with stealth aircraft, should be allowed to execute precision strikes.

4) Sink ships
This is something that needs to be changed for all aircraft. One real world example: the Falkland Islands War in 1982. Exocet missiles fired from Argentine aircraft sank two Royal navy destroyers. Instead of just taking a ship's hit points down to one, a cruise missile should be allowed to sink an enemy warship.

Here's hoping we'll see some or all of these in an update.
Old November 6, 2001, 12:37   #2
Soren Johnson
PtWDG Gathering StormC4WDG The GooniesC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 ParticipantsApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Realms Beyond
Civilization IV Lead Designer

Re: Cruise Missiles: Some Suggestions
Quote:
Originally posted by PresidentMike

4) Sink ships
This is something that needs to be changed for all aircraft. One real world example: the Falkland Islands War in 1982. Exocet missiles fired from Argentine aircraft sank two Royal navy destroyers. Instead of just taking a ship's hit points down to one, a cruise missile should be allowed to sink an enemy warship.

Here's hoping we'll see some or all of these in an update.
Cruise Missiles are capable of sinking ships. If not, that is a bug, but I do believe that it works...
Old November 6, 2001, 14:54   #3
wakamoto
Settler

Local Time: 10:12
my cruise missile stuck in the island can't go over the sea, neither being able to be transported. How can I shoot the ship in the middle of ocean?
Old November 6, 2001, 15:03   #4
ASHBERY76
Settler

Local Time: 16:12
I totally agree with (2).
Old November 6, 2001, 16:01   #5
PresidentMike
Chieftain

Nope, doesn't sink 'em
Nope, cruise missiles won't even attack a unit that is down to just one hit point.

I think the reason why a cruise missile can't sink a ship is that it "bombards" units, it doesn't "attack" them. Since only a unit that attacks can kill an enemy, a cruise missile can't kill anything, i can only weaken down to a single hit point.

This whole bombardment thing needs to be changed, at least in regards to aircraft/ships. In real life, planes and missiles sink ships. That's what should happen in civ3.
Old November 6, 2001, 17:10   #6
rickb
Settler

If you can wait for them to fix it, you can make AEGIS and subs carry cruise missiles by using the editor. Set the Tactical Missile flag on the cruise missile and the carry Tactial Missile flag on the AEGIS (along with setting the # of missiles it can transport) I also made the cruise missiles airliftable as well. Also cruise missiles can be loaded on transports, you have to move them onto the ship instead of loading them.
Old November 6, 2001, 23:48   #7
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 12:12
Soren, I am really starting to think we have a different version of the game than you do.

We are using 1.07f, what are you using? The reason I have to ask, is because several of the problems we are having (and I mean almost everyone), you seem to not be having at all.
Old November 7, 2001, 02:12   #8
macrae
Settler

My cruise missiles...
...were killing things last night...sometimes 2 and 3 things at once.

I totally agree with the range thing...same range as Cannons? I think not...

I was wondering about the ship-/sub-launched thing, but haven't had a chance to try, yet. Am still on first full game (at the second difficulty level), and have been a continental power until just recently. I love Modern Tanks, and combined arms armies--2 MBT's and 2 Mech Infantry...if only it could attack at least twice per turn...:-(

As is, Cruise Missiles are decent filler for land powers until you develop (and deploy) the MRLS stuff in mid- to late Modern Era.

Later...Stephen