Old November 6, 2001, 21:47   #1
Monoriu
Warlord

Local Time: 16:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
AI weakness in invasion?
Ok I am playing on Regent level and is currently fighting (and winning ) a world war with the other 7 AI civs.

I have a solid, continuous line of infantry on my borders so that none of the AI units can get through. The AI will wisely attack the weak spots on the line, like a lone infantry on a plain or grassland and then pour through with a 7-8 unit army, kinda like the German blizkrieg technique.

To counter that, I deliberately set up most of the infantry line on hills, mountains and fortresses. Then I will leave one gap in the line, preferably near lots of plain, desert or grassland tiles. 2-3 tiles behind the gap stood the bulk of my army.

Usually, the massive AI allied armies would avoid the entire line of infantry, pour into the gap, and end their turn with 8-10 units standing on a plain/desert/grassland tile inside my borders.

Then the next turn I will close the gap from behind the AI armies, and massacre them. Works quite often. TOO often I think.
Old November 6, 2001, 22:54   #2
Grundel
Warlord

Local Time: 11:13
I like that strategy. I never would imagine that a strategy like that would work in a Civ game.
Old November 7, 2001, 03:43   #3
MaSsConFUsi0n
Chieftain

why don't you just go kill them????

MaSsConFUsi0n
Old November 7, 2001, 03:50   #4
genghisvick
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:13
Sounds like the AI is pretty smart to me.
Old November 7, 2001, 04:16   #5
EnderSword
Settler

Local Time: 12:13
I Think The AI isn't so much smart as it is aware. It just knows what cities are the weakest and where there's a gap in your front line and stuff. It also simply has the computer ability to co-ordinate large attacks from many different angles with dozens of units without losing track..or patience =)

One Thing Is don't like about the AI is it seems to have no sense of distance, I constantly get war declared on me by a civ that has no chance of sending an army to me within 30 turns and without going through another civ to do it.
The Civs know how to Land grab but they don't seem to know how to grab choke points or create a solid border line I'd like to see the AI Using the strategy of forming a wall of troops in fortresses and stuff, and strategic placement of artillery etc..
Old November 7, 2001, 05:50   #6
Monoriu
Warlord

"why don't you just go kill them????"

Well. First, try fighting all 7 AI civs on a standard map at the same time on Regent level (they all have interlocked mutual protection agreements, an attack on one is an attack on all). I already have a hard time maintaining a continuous line of soldiers at the various fronts and enough ships to patrol the sea. Only the excess troops not needed by the continuous front can be used for attacks. Every loss of ANY combat unit is a blow for me and I have to make sure that when my troops attack, they don't die. Its better to lure the AI armies to where I can comfortably win, rather than going inside their territory and suffer much higher losses.

So far this method is winning the war for me. I am the strongest civ, but every civ is on the same tech levels. I manage to destroy/repulse every AI ship and army sent to attack my land and so far I haven't lost a single city and the continuous wall of infantry is alive and well. In fact I have captured the capital of two civs and about 3-4 other cities.
Old November 7, 2001, 06:09   #7
sharpshooter
Settler

Local Time: 17:13
What about a screenshot of that "line"-tactic? Would be cool to see.
Old November 7, 2001, 10:06   #8
sapofeo
Settler

Local Time: 10:13
Speaking of screenshots. How do I capture one and where is it stored? Thanks!
Old November 7, 2001, 11:06   #9
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 19:13
The Print Screen button, or Alt+Print Screen.
Old November 7, 2001, 16:16   #10
klesh
King

Local Time: 12:13
Screenies...
Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
The Print Screen button, or Alt+Print Screen.
Yup, it is then stored on your clipboard, and it needs to be pasted into a gfx program such as MS Paint or something better. I use PaintShop Pro7 which allows you to capture only the sections you want, as oppsed to capturing the fullscreen.

-FMK.