Old November 9, 2001, 17:18   #31
Downer
Settler

Local Time: 16:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
EMPEROR DOWNER THE 1ST
2110BC-1525BC

(1)2110BC - I scout the map and note the northwestern abundance of both fine land and fish to settle upon and also northwest of Kievan seems a worthy spot, I sit and wait for my oppurtunity.

(2)2070BC - The settler is finished in Kievan, I attend to send him northwest and settle there. Since Kievan will take so long to gain any more population its worthless to build a worker/settler now and I resort to building a granary so our city will grow twice as fast therefore more settlers can be built.

(3)2030BC - The worker near Sodoma is finished so I continue to send him north building a road towards are soon to be built city.

(4)1990BC - Settler is nearing settling location.

(5)1950BC - Unsuspected movement in the north! I have a barbarian warrior chasing my worker(which I tell him to cancel orders and head back to town) and an english scout. My hope is that he goes after the scout..

(6)1930BC - Settler is finished in Sodoma and I immiediately order a warrior to be built, I need to protect the settler going north.

(7)1910BC - I dare not move my settler north(in sodoma) so I decide to attack with my warrior unit and I successfuly fend off the threat, I'll move them due northwest to the abundance of food there.

(8)1870BC - Moscow is built! Since its unguarded I immeidately start construction on a cheap warrior unit. Strangely our science isn't producing anything so I boost it to 40% with an income of 2 gold a turn.

(9)1830BC - Yet another barbarian warrior while heading north! I take the chance and continue to move my warrior/settler unit.

(10)1790BC - My warrior won against the ambush and has been made into a Veteran!

(11)1750BC - My warrior being built in Sodoma is finished, Since the city is growing like crazy I order for another settler to be built.

(12)1725BC - We spot yet another barbarian warrior but its of no threat to us now. There must be an encampment in the north, we should send a warrior to scout the area. I begin to wonder if my worker unit in the north is going to be safe so I decide not to let him go any further and send him back home to Sodoma. We must secure the area in the north of any more barbarian ambushes.

(13)1700BC - The barbarian is still hot on our trail, I order our warrior to attack and he sucessfully does.

(14)1675BC - Gamorra is built!(named after the late Bakunine the 1st's dieing request) I order construction of a warrior unit to scout the northern area and fortify the other in Gamorra.

(15)1650BC - Our warrior unit arrives in Gamorra, exhausted from the previous attacks, they can have a good rest now.

(16)1625BC - Our worker unit is done building the road and I'm still cautious about barbarians appearing from nowhere and attacking it so as I said before I'm ordering it back to Sodoma and it will begin construction of a mine near there.

(17)1600BC - Nothing of importance happens.

(18)1575BC - A warrior is finished in Moscow and I order a fortification. I proceed to build a settler for future expansion. We've noticed yet ANOTHER barbarian unit moving towards Gamorra, I have no doubts to whether my veteran warrior can handle it.

(19)1550BC - A granary is finished in Kievan and I begin work on a settler.

(20)1525BC - An English settler is approaching our scout in the south, not a good sign.

Attached Files:
Old November 9, 2001, 19:14   #32
Grundel
Warlord

Local Time: 11:14
The reign of Grundel is about to begin

After rising to power after the death of their most recent leader, Grundel is faced with many decision.

Shall we begin a militaristic puch against neighbouring England?

Perhaps we shall focus on building our infratstructure?

Maybe conentrate on expanding our borders northward?

In a couple of centuries, (20 turns), the world will be the judge of the effectiviness of Grundel and his protege.

Stay tuned You shall say later tonight or tomorrow
Old November 9, 2001, 19:48   #33
Gaius Marius
Civilization IV Creators
Warlord

Local Time: 12:14
4 cities. Sweet. Let's rock and roll.
Old November 9, 2001, 20:05   #34
Bakunine
Warlord

Quote:
(20)1525BC - An English settler is approaching our scout in the south, not a good sign.
Damm, with so many good terrain around London and they come this way . Good thing is they get near to be attacked.

Quote:
(14)1675BC - Gamorra is built!(named after the late Bakunine the 1st's dieing request) I order construction of a warrior unit to scout the northern area and fortify the other in Gamorra.
Old November 10, 2001, 01:08   #35
Grundel
Warlord

In the first days of his leadership, Grundel was faced with several challenges. Barbarians were roaming the northern tundra and England was attempting to expand toward the Russian border. The english city of Coventry was founded in 1500 bc.

In an attempt to keep up with the expanding english, Settlers from Sodoma set out to hack out a new life in the wilderness. Grundel also ordered the forming of more troops, in the event of hostilities with Russia's southern neighbor.

The pioneers from Sodoma created a cozy village nestled in the northern mountain range, naming it St. Petersburg in 1450 BC. However, to offset this hopeful news foreign advisors discoverd that the english were begining a large project...the Pyramids...which promises to help keep their cities fed and their empire growing.

Over the next century, Russia continued her growth as more nomadic settlers emerged from Kievan Rus and warrior legions were being pressed into service. It was during this nomadic period that russian wise men discovered the use of a working alphabet and also began investigating the strange ore that could possibly be smelted into effective weapons (Iron working research began)

In 1325 english envoys approached the russian people and demanded a tribute to avoid conflict! A decision had to be made. Risk war with the english now, or pay them 10 gold from our coffers. Grundel met with his Foreign advisor, who advised that their army outnumbered the russians, and they were more advanced. In light of this, and the fact that the russian military was spread thin attempting to engage the barbarians to the north, Grundel reluctantly accepted. The time for war will come, but not yet...

During the time between 1300 BC and 1275 BC, the russians began to explore more of their surroundings. A few scout units were created in hopes of exploring the land to the south of the english, and perhaps finding mysterious tribes that could offer knowledge or tribute to the russians. The warriors in the north could find no trace of the bararians that threatened our settlers centuries before. This was reassuring enough to plan future expansion in this area. However, more troubling news came from our southern neighbors. Spearmen were seen advancing toward the border scouts.

Between 1250 BC and 1125 BC, the russians began to hunt the large elephants and mamoths that were populous in the southern plains. Shortly thereafter, artisans learned to craft the ivory tusks into fine, valuable jewlery and simple tools. Citizens within the empire began to crave these goods.

In 1100 BC another visit from the english occured. This time, they insisted on the russian border scouts to be withdrawn. Still not militarily prepared, Grundel agreed and moved the scouts back to a safer distance, but still able to spy on the english. However, Grundel was also moving warriors and spearmen south, to the newly founded city of Kiev. Kiev, being the closest city to the english border could prove to be a tactical benefit to the russian people.

For the rest of his life, little more happened. A small riot occured in moscow due to overcrowding, but was quickly disperesed. More settlers went forth to find new homes, and Grundel died in 1025 BC, to pass his reign on.
Attached Files:
Old November 10, 2001, 01:10   #36
Grundel
Warlord

Sorry guys...I am rather new to the forum thing...and I could not figure out how to post my screenshots.
Old November 10, 2001, 01:32   #37
Downer
Settler

nicely done Grundel, and to post screenshots you post the link and put "img" at the beginning of the url and "/img" at the end and put them in paraentheses []

looking forward to what happens next
Old November 10, 2001, 02:25   #38
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 03:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Or if they're just on your computer, use the attach file thing below the box you type in, just press browse and find the picture on your comp. Just note that it must be a jpg, gif, bmp or zip file...
Old November 10, 2001, 10:55   #39
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

(1)1000BC - Osweld has risen to power after the death of Grundel.

Already, there are decisions to be made, the scout protecting the southern passage has spotted an english settler aproaching our lands. And there has been a sighting of another barbarian camp in the north. I decide to send a settler acompanied by a spearman to the southern passage and construct an outpost in order to seal our land off to the english, I only hope that the english are not already through when they get there. To make matters worse, I have had to divert a warrior who was going to help defend the pass into the northern lands to fend off the barbarian tribes.

(2)975BC - I have closed off the southern passage with scouts to prevent the english from entering our lands, but I fear that the english will still construct a city on the passage.

(3)950BC - The newly discovered barbarian tribe in the north has been destroyed, I will patrol the area with my warriors to ensure that the area is safe untill it can be settled. I have ordered the cunstruction of a barracks in Kievan Rus to begin, this will ensure that our future warriors will be strong and able.

(4)925BC - The Russian people's thirst for ivory can not be appeased, we have begun hunting mammoths in the western planes. A Settler has left from Gamorra to make a settlement in the northern tundra, where game and fish are plentiful.

My scouts have reported my fears to be true, the english have founded a small village on the southern passage.

(5)900BC - Knowing that my spearmen will soon be able to secure the southern passage, I order my scouts to leave south and explore the heart of the english lands.

(6)875BC - A settler has left Sodoma Rus to establish a fur trading outpost in the northern tundra.

(7)850BC - Our scouts have begun exploring the english lands, and have spotted a small, mountanous Island to the west of the southern passage.

(8)825BC - The Village of Minsk has been founded in the north western tundra, and another settler has left St. Petersburg to settle the northern hills.

(9)800BC - The village of smolensk has been founded on the souther passage, this will act as an outpost ensuring the english do not push any further. I have ordered walls to be built, and have dispatched a newly trained archer from Kiev to help garrison it.

(10)775BC - While exploring the english territory I have discovered that the english have many deposits of valuable gems - surely the Russian people would enjoy these. My scouts have also made contact a new civilisation, the French, who offered me the technology of the wheel in exchange for 70 gold. I accept, but am disapointed to learn that we have no horses to make good use of the new technology.

Also, the fur trading outpost of Odessa has been founded.

(11)750BC - Many new workers are being hired to help improve the Russian lands and connect its cities.

(12)730BC - The barracks in Kievan Rus has finished construction, and I have ordered them to begin training archers.

(13)710BC - Sevastopol is founded - the northern lands are now settled.

(14)690BC - The archer I dispatched form kiev has arrived in Smolensk to help protect Russia.

(15)670BC - A settler leaves Moscow to colonize the western penisula. I have also order the cunstruction of temples in numerous cities to bring culture and happiness to the people of Russia. A veteren archer has be trained in Kievan Rus and is dispatched to Smolensk.

(16)650BC - Our workers continue to improve the lands, and have connected St. Petersburg to the main road system.

(17)630BC - As our scouts continue to explore, it seems that there may be another small passageway that is connecting the english and french lands.

(18)610BC - Another archer is trained in Moscow and dispatched to smolensk.

(19)590BC - Walls have been built around Kiev, to protect it from any would-be invaders.

(20)570BC - Russian Prophets have discovered the secrets of Iron Working, and have begun studying the arts of mysticism. There have been two valuable Iron deposits discovered in the southern mountains of Russia. And our scouts report that the English seem to be with out Iron, although, the French have atleast one deposit.

Pleased with this news, Osweld retires and lets his succesor take over.

By the way, I changed the preferences and governer priorities.
Attached Files:
Old November 10, 2001, 11:54   #40
Gaius Marius
Civilization IV Creators
Warlord

Weird map. Looking good though. Who's next?
Old November 10, 2001, 21:01   #41
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Gaius Marius
Who's next?
I believe tleilaxu is up next as the 6th player.
Old November 10, 2001, 21:28   #42
Timeline
King

You did a nice job Osweld.
Old November 10, 2001, 22:05   #43
HisMajestyBOB
Warlord

Awesome Story!

How friendly are the French? Could you create an alliance to carve up those English Pig-dogs?

.13 posts per day, and proud of it!
Old November 10, 2001, 22:19   #44
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

The french are polite towards us, and seem more or less co-operative. The english are cautious towards us and there seems to be a bit of a cold war between us, with them trying to inch cities as close to us as possible, and us blocking them off from our lands and scouting their territory.
Old November 10, 2001, 23:09   #45
Bakunine
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by HisMajestyBOB

How friendly are the French? Could you create an alliance to carve up those English Pig-dogs?
Sooner or later, faster or slower the English must at least loose some cities to the all mighty Russian Empire. If French helped us by tht time then it would be wonderfull.
Old November 11, 2001, 02:12   #46
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

This is great, keep it up guys I haven't played the game yet (I have to wait 8 more days for the Australian release ) but I have some thoughts.

What's the strategy that you'll use to deal with the English? With access to Iron deposits, you can gain a military edge over the Poms, so use this while you can. I would also increase culture a bit, otherwise the English and French will treat you with excessive disdain in diplomatic negotiations. The English and French are in the same culture bloc as the Russians, so this will improve diplomatic negotiations somewhat.

The Russian city of Smolensk established on that English isthmus with access to both seas will be a good strategic city later on. I would increase the culture of Smolensk as quickly as possible. You don't want to lose the city to the English through culture!

Last edited by star mouse; November 11, 2001 at 02:19.
Old November 11, 2001, 03:24   #47
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Yes, i would have to agree with star mouse as well.

Chances are a cultural war will happen sooner than a military war.
As such, i would personally change Smolensk's production to a temple, and as per Velo's strat guide, rush the production. It will make some population upset, but the temple will offset that unhappiness, and you increase your cultural presence on that point as well.

Also remember that Smolensk is about 9 squares from the English capital, and over 13 squares from your capital.

Good luck btw
Old November 11, 2001, 07:51   #48
Haphazard
Warlord

This is one of the best threads on Apolyton

Be careful about assuming the English don't have Iron. Has England been re-scouted after discovering Iron Working?

If a military-inclined ruler comes to power soon, would trying to take London, with it's defensive hills as a border be a good way to nobble the English before they become a threat?
Old November 11, 2001, 11:24   #49
Gaius Marius
Civilization IV Creators
Warlord

You don't need to rescout after discovering the tech for a resource. Just look for it.

I'm not worried about Smolensk's distance from London. I don't see culture being a factor at this point in the game, at least not before we take London.
Old November 11, 2001, 18:09   #50
GodSpawn
Prince

This thread is great

Hope y'all can keep it going!
Old November 11, 2001, 20:09   #51
tleilaxu
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:14
it's monday morning here. just downloaded the file... i'll have the update uploaded in 24 hours... (i have no net connection at home)
Old November 12, 2001, 01:23   #52
tleilaxu
Chieftain

I can't wait to get out of work...

Vlad the Impaler ascends to the throne....

"I will santify Russia with blood. I'll not be satiated until this two-bit country is a robust powerhouse..."
Old November 12, 2001, 13:55   #53
zapperio
Warlord

Get on with it already! [shakes fist at screen]

There are people waiting...!

Zap
Old November 12, 2001, 16:59   #54
GodSpawn
Prince

He's on Hong Kong time, I guess. So that makes it, er, hmm, well... It seems I don't know what time it is over there.
Old November 12, 2001, 18:42   #55
Gaius Marius
Civilization IV Creators
Warlord

Glad everyone's enjoying this. I'm already planning my next turn.

BTW, this thread is about 1/6th of the posts in the entire stories forum.
Old November 12, 2001, 20:58   #56
Timeline
King

Quote:
He's on Hong Kong time, I guess. So that makes it, er, hmm, well... It seems I don't know what time it is over there.

It's 11:00 AM in Hong Kong at the time of this post (10:00PM EST, 3:00 AM GMT)

GMT + 08:00 Hours is Hong Kong time

Last edited by Timeline; November 12, 2001 at 21:07.
Old November 12, 2001, 21:00   #57
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by GodSpawn
I'm guessing Hong Kong is 2 hours behind my time zone, so it's about noon there.
Old November 12, 2001, 23:50   #58
Gaius Marius
Civilization IV Creators
Warlord

This is like what it will be like watching World Cup matches next summer. I'll have to miss work every morning.
Old November 13, 2001, 03:58   #59
tleilaxu
Chieftain

skip me...

i apologize... i had troubles zipping and unzipping and transfering from computers.... before next round I'll make sure to do it in my own time or i'll have to drop out...

no excuses
Old November 13, 2001, 04:00   #60
tleilaxu
Chieftain

tleilaxu throws tomatos at self...