Old November 7, 2001, 02:53   #1
Jaundice
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Guerillas and Pirates...what gives?
I know I'm not the only one playing Civ 3 who is disapointed in the attack/defense values of the privateer. I realize these can be changed by me, but I don't think I should have to. Anyone who has even a fleeting interest in pirates knows that pirate ships were HEAVILY armed and had at least 80 men to sail them, where as trade ships had a crew of 12 and poorly armed vessels. Their firepower even outgunned many Royal Navy ships. And pirates/privateers were a HUGE part of history. Even England declared war on the pirates the Barbary Coast and they weren't even a nation. Anywho, I thought it would be a good idea to create a fleet of privateers to cause a bit of trouble with the Chinese up North, without causing a war or international incident. But after three of my four ships were sunk by Galley's....I was done building them forever.
Also, why no Guerilla fighters? Sometimes you'd like to have a band of hired soldiers to mix it up in combat without causing an all-out war. You know, like when a civ tries to plant a city in a strategic area that you were waiting to build in. Just a thought...

-JD
Old November 7, 2001, 02:57   #2
smellymummy
King

Local Time: 08:15
guerilla fighters with no nation ID... like privateers, that sounds cool, but I doubt we'll see it from firaxis.

Having the privateers beefed up in strenght on the other hand, that's possible.. i hope!
Old November 7, 2001, 03:00   #3
Jaundice
Chieftain

You could even make the Guerilla's like a spy, where there was a chance that they would be captured during combat and their financial backers (aka YOU) would be exposed, causing the civ to declare war on you.

-JD
Old November 7, 2001, 03:15   #4
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 12:15
Jaundice, you might want to check out my mod for the game (see my sig or go to the 'Files' forum here at Apolyton to d/l).

It would be REALLY easy to make guerilla warriors. All you would have to do is attach the 'no nationality' flag that Privateers get to these units.
Old November 7, 2001, 03:24   #5
Jaundice
Chieftain

Cool....I'll have to check that out. I did a lot of playing around with Civ2, I just haven't had much time to do it with Civ 3. I can't wait to start making scenarios and stuff.

-JD
Old November 7, 2001, 03:25   #6
Altuar
Warlord

But then again, guerilla fighters are not mercenaries. They are usually domestic rebels fighting for a cause, trying to overthrow a government. There are some international guerillas in some areas of the world (Ecuador-Columbia, India-Pakistan) but even then they percieve the borders as illegal, thus non-existent, hence they are more civil-war type bandits more than organized soldiers paid by established governments, like those in the huge scope of civilization, which on a standard Earth map resemble a few big countries stashed together...

As for partisans from civ II, I think this is mitigated by the fact that you have to garrison each newly captured city with half your army just to make sure that it doesnt defect. Flawed, especially since you have no indication just how many troops you should garrison there, but it is effective.
Old November 7, 2001, 03:38   #7
Jaundice
Chieftain

Ok...merc's then instead of Guerillas.

-JD