Old November 7, 2001, 03:45   #1
yeesh
Settler

Local Time: 16:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Corruption vs Waste
Huge map, Monarch dif.

Lots of complaints about corruption, and lots of advice about courthouses and forbidden palaces and gov't types. All understandable. For me the jury is still out on the forbidden palace, as it's still under construction. The courthouses help in most cities if they're not too far away. I do play on huge maps, a habit of which civIII seems bent on breaking me. What I'd like to ask you about is the gov'ts. Monarchy has a great advantage over republic and it's called military police. On the harder dif levels this is pretty important. Thus I clung to monarchy perhaps longer than I should have, until a point in my game when shield waste was horrendous in many cities. I was psyched to see the increased production I'd get with my newer, less waste-prone republic. For reasons unknown, I actually took a quick survey of some cities, some near and some far, and wrote down shield wastage. I'm weird like that.

Corruption, meaning little red stacks of coins, did decrease as a percentage when I changed governments. Peachy. Waste, little red shields, stayed EXACTLY the same. Now I understand that corruption and waste are supposed to be two different things as the olde civlopedia sort of makes clear. However, the ONLY solution it mentions to the problem of shield waste is to change your form of government. This doesn't seem to have worked.

Has anyone else noticed this, or am I crazy? If I finally get to democracy, will I still see no decrease in shield waste?
Old November 7, 2001, 07:51   #2
vincentz
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
People will soon think I am a communist. But I propose Communism to solve your needs, comrade! Nice military police (4), sucky commerce but corruption is nice and (relatively) low. The bigger empire, the more corruption but it is the same no matter how far your capital is from your cities. And it gives a strange satisfaction to whip your cities to hurry production instead of bribing them. But Communism comes quite late in the game...