Old November 7, 2001, 09:42   #1
cort
Warlord

Local Time: 18:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
how long do you wait after pressing "End of Turn"
playing a regent game on a huge map & 16 civs (3 eliminated so far).

its late industrial age and after pressing "End of Turn" have to wait ~2-3 minutes and it tends to get longer, as you can expect severely destroying the gameplay.
playing on a PIII-256MB Ram.

i wonder whether there is a problem with my configuration or the AI need that time to calculate its moves.

also whenever any road is destroyed (via bombardmant, pillaging, etc) it pauses for ~1 minute before changing the terrain. my guess is that it recalculates resource availability for all cities.

could you please tell me your experience on the issue?
Old November 7, 2001, 10:00   #2
Stuie
King

Local Time: 12:16
That's the price you pay for 16 civs on a huge map.

Firaxis wanted to give us 8 civs with the "normal" map being standard, but we insisted on more. Guess we can't complain too much....
Old November 7, 2001, 10:00   #3
SITS
King

Local Time: 16:16
I'm playing on a 1ghz Ath with 384MB DDR and I'm still getting a long delay on a similiar game as yours. I remember reading about from Firaxis (Sid?) that if you're waiting too long for the computer then the computer is having more fun than you...
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old November 7, 2001, 10:01   #4
elrond1999
Settler

Same here, it is VERY slow on maps larger than standard. Huge map is totaly unplayable.

My guess is that the AI is moving every little unit that it has. If you peak into the Fog into an AI border you can see that the LOTS of AI units are "patrolling" randomly around the border.. That takes some calculating.
Old November 7, 2001, 10:02   #5
SITS
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie

Firaxis wanted to give us 8 civs with the "normal" map being standard, but we insisted on more. Guess we can't complain too much....
Can't complain too much????? How long have you been on 'Poly for!!!!!?????

'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old November 7, 2001, 10:10   #6
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

The long wait doesn't bother me. Ever played Axis&Allies with 5 people? Now THAT'S waiting!
Old November 7, 2001, 10:20   #7
cort
Warlord

Local Time: 18:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie

complaining is a different thing, I just wanted to know whether something is wrong with me or it is what the game is.
now I at least know that i am in a no worse situation than anybody else out there.

about the complain thing; playing with 16 civs is a GREAT plus & fun, but im playing since nov 1, the same game, about 6 hours/day on the average, and its still 1700 AD. im afraid i will give up with my current game and start a new one on a standart map with lesser civs..
up until fraxis improves the timing issue somehow, i dont think that playing the game to full extend will be possible..
Old November 7, 2001, 10:46   #8
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 17:16
The AI is always going to have to consider whther to move all of its units each turn but its a little disturbing if this takes an appreciable length of time when hidden by the shroud so there are no animation issues to slow things down.
Old November 7, 2001, 10:52   #9
Special_K
Settler

Local Time: 11:16
I'm betting the program still computes the moves for the units and does all the processing to show the moves. Then, it checks to see if you can actually see the moves and hides the ones you can't see.
Old November 7, 2001, 11:26   #10
Auslander
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:16
I play huge map with 16 civs and the wait time is probably more like 5 minutes. Sometimes longer.

I have a relic of machine that I built, PIII 500, 768 MB, GeoForce2 and Windows XP. I actually thought the problem was with XP. Since installing XP, after removing win2k, I noticed Diablo II stutters and hangs now.

I am also running the Detonator drivers for XP. Which I thought I read somewhere that this will cause a problem with Civ3.
Old November 7, 2001, 11:37   #11
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by cort

about the complain thing; playing with 16 civs is a GREAT plus & fun, but im playing since nov 1, the same game, about 6 hours/day on the average, and its still 1700 AD. im afraid i will give up with my current game and start a new one on a standart map with lesser civs..
Cort - try playing with 12 civs on a large map; the lag between turns goes down substantially. I was waiting the same 2~3 minutes per turn on 16/huge, and with 12/large it's down to less than a minute and I'm late in the Modern Age. Of course, my turns take 15~20 minutes, moving all those tanks and such. The computer is much more forgiving of the slow human.

I've also been considering editing the large map to allow 16 civs and see how that works.......

Also, I didn't mean to imply that you were complaining; I was just stating that we asked for it, we got it, and we probably have to live with it as is.