Old November 7, 2001, 17:35   #1
Drago Sinio
Prince

Local Time: 16:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Conquest or Trade?
In my current game I am on an island , playing as Egyptians, with Greece and Rome nearby.

Early on I built War Chariots and conquered Rome, reducing their empire to 3 Cities, then making peace. Turned out to be a good war, I got a Golden Age, some great resources and city sites, and a leader I used to build the Pyramids in a single turn.

I next went to war with Greece, having nothing better to do with the 12 Chariots I had built. Managed to take two of their cities, though they were tougher than the Roman defenders. My Army is threatening their Capitol.

Question is this; Are the Greeks more valuable to me as trading partners, or should I eliminate them?

The Greek capitol has the Colossus, so If I moved my Palace there it would make a great science city.

Or, would I get more techs by keeping them alive and extorting techs and gold from them?

Suggestions?

It is 600 AD or so and I am about to get Monarchy. No contact with any of the other 5 civs yet. I have control of the Island I am on, with the Greeks hangin on to the southern tip, and The Romans on the frozen territory at the north end of the island. Game is at Monarch or Regent, I forget which.
Old November 7, 2001, 22:00   #2
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 01:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Having trading partners only means you have shell out huge bribes for the stuff you want and which you could take right now . The only exception is tech, but I'm sure you can find other AI to trade tech with fairly easily...
Old November 7, 2001, 22:07   #3
Madine
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 10:17
Wipe them out while you still can.

They will just annoy you later on. Having control of your continent puts you in a much stronger strategic position.
Old November 8, 2001, 09:47   #4
Drago Sinio
Prince

I dedided to take the Greek capitol and its two Wonders , to use as my science city. But I did not wipe out the Greeks entirely. I think the more civs trading techs there are, the greater opportunity to trade for what you need.

I have been contacting every civ whenever I research a new tech and trading it to them all for whatever I can get. I think it worls to my advantage.
Old November 8, 2001, 09:52   #5
Drago Sinio
Prince

I dedided to take the Greek capitol and its two Wonders , to use as my science city. But I did not wipe out the Greeks entirely. I think the more civs trading techs there are, the greater opportunity to trade for what you need.

I have been contacting every civ whenever I research a new tech and trading it to them all for whatever I can get. I think it worls to my advantage.