Old November 7, 2001, 22:34   #1
Monoriu
Warlord

Local Time: 16:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Theory of evolution is useless
I love this game, I think its the best game ever. But there are several things that are wrong with it, and the Theory of Evolution is one of them.

In civ 2 I used to build it if I could, getting 2 free techs is nice. But in civ 3 its useless, because I can no longer choose what free tech to get. Instead, the computer assigns 2 techs to me. AND IT GIVES ME THE LOWEST LEVEL TECH POSSIBLE, REGARDLESS OF AGE. I won't say its useless if it at least gives me random industrial age techs that I can currently research. Instead I got 2 middle age techs that I skipped earlier. I have only built it once, but that was a huge disappointment. If I skip them that means I don't want them. Why does it assign the lowest level possible techs to players?

The 2 free techs that I get should be at least industrial age level. Even better, restore it to what it was like in civ 2: I can pick 2 techs from a list of techs that I can currently research.

Thank you for your attention.
Old November 7, 2001, 22:45   #2
Gaius Marius
Civilization IV Creators
Warlord

Local Time: 12:19
How about this - you can pick two techs, but they have to be "basic" science. It doesn't make any more sense that you would get Amphibious Warfare from the Theory than that you would get Chivalry. Something like Atomic Theory, Ecology, Genetics, or Combustion.
Old November 7, 2001, 23:55   #3
Xard
Settler

Local Time: 16:19
Well, you could always research those techs...

And it doesn't give you the lowest techs ever, I built ToE, and instead of Industrialization or Communism, it gave me Replaceable parts and Atomic Theory, two -very- far away techs for me, seeing as I still had a ton of older stuff to research. Still nice though, getting that many beakers free.

Maybe you just got unlucky.
Old November 8, 2001, 00:12   #4
Zurai001
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:19
Theory of Evolution didn't even give me two techs in my most recent game. I had everything up to modern researched except Amphibious Warfare and Radio (was researching Radio) and completed ToE, I only got Amph War! It didn't even finish off Radio for me. Moral of the story: hold off on the Theory until you're about to enter the Modern era, so you can actually get both techs from it