Old November 23, 2000, 17:34   #1
fred
Prince

Local Time: 00:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A new scenario
THIS IS A SCENARIO IN THE VERY EARLIEST OF PHASES

Title- Shogun: The Rise of Toranaga

It's a scenario based upon the book Shogun by James Clavell.

This is just in the earliest of stages.
PREMISE FOR THE SCENARIO
-5 civs, The Kunato (Diamyo Toranaga), Allies of Toranaga(to be anounced), Osaka Castle (Ishido), Allies of Osaka Castle (to be announced), and the Portugues(to be announced)
-Specific units to each area with different colours and strengths(later explained)
-Based on later stages or near end of the book
-A scenario with objectives, but mostly based on conquest by each side (except Portugues, who want to trade and convert)
-A totally new tech tree
-New city improvements
-New wonders
-And possibley new .dll files if i learn to use them

UNITS
-Toranga Samuria(calvary, swords, pikes, and archers) Ronin Samuria, and a special musket division (2 or 3 units only), a Japanese ship, and a Dutch 17th century ship of the line (only 1)BONUSES: Toranaga will have stronger units and higher hit points(because of Toranaga's superior commanding skills), musket have more power but have poor defense, Dutch ship is fast and strong (units will be brown, city colour undecided)
-Ishido own colour samuria (calvary, pike, swords, and archers), have very stong personal samuria BONUSES: Will have a large amount of units but basic units are weak) Possible siege unit(?) (Grey samuria and units
-Portueges Jesuit missionaries(spys), a fleet of lesser ships, and one slow strong attack, weak defense black galleon and a musket unit strong attack decent defense, very expensive (only 3 or 4 units in portugues capital) possible weaker unit for a cheap defense and trade units and possibley trade vessels
-Units to all Japanese, to be used by the allies (possibley same units 2 different colours for each side) samuria (4 listed types) a peasant (settler) and some sort of warrior class unit very cheap and weak

WHAT I HAVE DONE
-a map (okay but a better large Japan map might be wanted) or might use map FW Japan, undecided
-The beginnings of cities (using far east but with a changed large city and large fortified city, 4 different colours, red, green, blue, and purple + a colonian style from Harlen Thompson's city list placed in modern spot for Porteguese)

Since this is my first public scenario, some areas I would gladley accept some or a lot of help. If anyone knows of a good site where I could get a lot of historical information on the period. Maps of the time period would be helpful. And as it develops I would apreciate some play testers, but looking at the work to be done it will be a while.

Thnks, please post help here or email me @
matth@cgocable.ent

fred
AKA Matt Hawkins

------------------
i am the great one
and leader of the cow cult

Old November 23, 2000, 17:38   #2
fred
Prince

and oh should i make it with original civ2 scernario, FW or should i get MGE or TOT to make it
Old November 23, 2000, 17:41   #3
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

Local Time: 01:11
Take a look to my Shogun thread on Hs SLeague, if you'll need some help on units or flags...
Old November 23, 2000, 17:44   #4
Hendrik the Great
Prince

Please make it with FW. That way you will have a greater audiance available. Do you already have some screenshots or art to show?

------------------
Mathias' Civ II Page
http://members.nbci.com/thalys
Old November 23, 2000, 17:48   #5
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 02:11
quote:

and oh should i make it with original civ2 scernario, FW or should i get MGE or TOT to make it

Make it with FW (best for me ), MGE or ToT versions are fine, but for the start FW is the best (MGE users can play a FW scn, too)

------------------
Civ2000
Old November 23, 2000, 20:19   #6
fred
Prince

FW it is, Screenshots, already dont scare me

Prometeus, sorry I couldn't find your thread. But I believe I will be fine for the unit and flag editing. It comes down to the tech tree, as I have never really played around with it. But the most help I need is in historical events, city improvements (ideas) and wonders for a Japanese culture of the period.

I will tackle the city graphics and units with the tech tree first.

Also should i make it a multi-scenario pack (smaller isolated parts of the map with single objectives, from the book- destroy Blackthorne's ship or escape from Osaka Castle)

Or should I use just a large scale map.
Old November 23, 2000, 20:24   #7
fred
Prince

Hopeing for a mid Decembre first release.

Just the first release, if it is good I will think about a new version with new units and more add-ons. We shall see.
Old November 24, 2000, 05:04   #8
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 17:11
Local Date: October 30, 2010
The book covers a short time span, so a typical R&D tech tree doesn't make much sense. Techs can be used as part of your events to:
- change happiness
- speed up naval units
- change "auto" barbarians (pirates, rebellions etc)
You definitely want to ensure that the Japanese can't build European units (and vice versa). Many scenarios handle this effectively through the use of "no,no" obsoleting techs that can't be stolen or exchanged. This really may be a better subject for an "adventure" type scenario such as Shannara or Spartacus, at least in the early phases.

If you want this to be a very good scenario with lots of events and new features, a mid-December release does not seem realistic.
Old November 24, 2000, 08:30   #9
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

Hy fred, i bumped the thread... If you want, take a look again th HS SLeague forum.
Old November 24, 2000, 16:40   #10
fred
Prince

Kull i ment the december release as a v 1.0 with minimal things except the basics, but if reception is good I would make a version 2.0 with events and all.

thnks prometeus
Old November 24, 2000, 17:24   #11
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 17:11
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I meant no offense, Fred. It's just that promised scenario delivery dates are almost always delusionally optimistic.
Old November 24, 2000, 17:44   #12
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

You are right Kull... Just look at my "A-she-na" scenario... Paradropping mountains... Booohhh
Old November 24, 2000, 18:20   #13
fred
Prince

its hard to post feelings into our posts, no anger was ment

i might end up like activision on c:ctp release delayed release delayed

This is something if im succesful shall be a great boost to my scenario creation times.

My other 3 personal scenarios have gone, the way of the delete, though my first scenario was my best (so far )
Old November 24, 2000, 19:36   #14
Panda
Prince

fred, if you want some extra graphics I have these Japanese castles which you can have. I won't use them anyway (not my period).
http://www.aplivings.btinternet.co.uk/castles.zip

Kull: you are so right about the release dates.

------------------
"The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on" - anon

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower

"Treaties are like roses and pretty girls: they last while they last." - Charles de Gaulle
Old November 24, 2000, 20:19   #15
fred
Prince

thank you andrew, i will have a look, im sure i can use them. The same syle of cities just coloured differently gets boring
Old November 24, 2000, 20:37   #16
fred
Prince

thanks for the pictures

im will use them most defenatly in events and posibley in .dll files if it is possible to do so with out problems to civ II
Old November 24, 2000, 20:43   #17
fred
Prince

a new unit possible for Ishido: ninja asassians (like in official mongolian scenario)

I am nearly done the cities toranaga- brown ishido- grey
toranaga allies green ishido allies blue

I will take out the American style building in Harlen Thompson's colonial style city for a spanish church.
Old November 25, 2000, 11:04   #18
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

I forget to tell you: I've several Shogun demo versions sound files available also... are you interested in something particular? Maybe it's on tha list...

PS I've several skins developed from this game also...
Old November 25, 2000, 12:25   #19
fred
Prince

i might want to get the scenario basics done before i add sound, .dll files, and events

skins,, u mean unit skins?
Old November 25, 2000, 15:46   #20
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

No i mean Icon.gif skins ( the ones that appears into message boxes during tha game ); the four boxes depicted in that file. If you want, you can download Antigonos to see them "in action"... It's on my website.
Old November 26, 2000, 03:27   #21
KhanMan
Prince

I would love to be involved in the play-testing/suggestions/feedback stage, whenever it is ready.

I think it would be great to use events and special units to mimic events in the book (for instance, if you were to destory the Portugese "Black Ship", the Japanese Christians near Nagasaki would declare war on you). Also, spies or diplomats would be nice, too, considering all the shadow activities of this conflict.

Looking forward to seeing some of this.

-KhanMan

PS. If you want, my email is:

khanmaned@hotmail.com

------------------
Sprecher der ToT
First Minister of Machiavellia