Old November 8, 2001, 14:34   #1
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Local Time: 18:21
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A rare positive thread about civ3
After playing civilization 3 for about 40 hours I want to write a little review. Not a big one, who's gonna read that anyway ?

I have played 2 big games (in fact I'm still playing both)
1 on king level and one on emperor.

I think the game has anything civ2 had, and more.
The new concepts, diplomacy, culture and resources, are really a big + ! But I think they'll be even better in a big mp game with 8-16 playerse.

The resource system makes sure that weak civilizations play an important role in the game. In my 'emperor' game I was behind with about everything (but ammount of cities) until I discovered that I'm the owner of almost all saltpeter and iron resources !
Since then I'm almost scientificly equal to all other civs.

Resources will be amazing in good diplo games !
It really adds something to diplomacy.

In both games all AI players are big. It's not like there's one big civilization, and much small ones, like oftenly happened in civ2.

The culture system is a great add on. The graphics are fine and the animations aren't boring, not even after seeing them for the x time. (like ToT and CtP)

I have problems with corruption, but these problems are solvable. I think that eventhough it makes the game hard, it's good. It prevents big empires from automaticly being the best. Like you have to control you civilians, you have to control corruption.

The major think I dislike is the time between turns.
Pherhaps I shouldn't play on a huge map, but I think it's a real -

There are some minor bugs, but I'm sure they'll be patched soon. Overal civ3 is really a great game. You need to get used to it though. It's not 'fun out of the box' if you want to win your first game immediately. (I have already started over an x number of times before I continued with the current 2 games)

I think civ2 is history.
Like I never played civ anymore after buying civ2, I'll never play civ2 anymore after buy......... uh downloading () civ3.
Yes, I'm from Europe, and yes, I'll buy the game as soon as it's available overhere. (had to say that before the name calling starts)

As soon as my Emperor game is over I'll try to play Deity.
I don't think I'll beat it soon though. Pherhaps I can survive

CyberShy
Old November 8, 2001, 14:48   #2
Cougz
Settler

Local Time: 08:21
Re: A rare positive thread about civ3
Quote:
Originally posted by CyberShy
I think the game has anything civ2 had, and more.
The new concepts, diplomacy, culture and resources, are really a big + ! But I think they'll be even better in a big mp game with 8-16 playerse.

Personally I'm happy for them to take as long as they like on the MP, because as you say, to play this game with 8-15 others is going to be wild!!!

Take your time Firaxis, get it right first, then put it out, this game has the potential to be one of the biggest MP games ever.
Old November 8, 2001, 15:58   #3
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Local Time: 16:21
Cyber
You are already winning on emperor?

Huuu... rather quick

well done.
Old November 9, 2001, 08:56   #4
LaRusso
King

game is great
it is FUN
combat is cool and tanks SHOULD lose sometimes to weaker units
culture works fine, could have a bit of tweaking (having your units killed or expelled from rebelling city)
map is beautiful.
bird chirping is okay, so are all the sounds
AI is massively improved and i love it
diplo is cool
interface could be tweaked a bit to add more right click functions

grumble time:
LE contents
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old November 9, 2001, 09:45   #5
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Quote:
You are already winning on emperor?
Things are getting better and better in the current game !!
I'm 3rd in science but very beyond in strength (that's because I'm not really a warmonger)

I unfortunately only own one source of rubber, and coal is *very* rare in the world, and the civ that has coal inside it's borders still didn't build roads to it (AI bug ?)

Several civs have build cities on my continent. Most of them are small civs without any useful tiles. It would be good though if the patch would contain an AI that won't build within your borders.
I have cultural overpowered some of these cities already though

I don't think I'll win this game, for sure not in points, but I'm doing a fine job I guess.
Old November 9, 2001, 09:48   #6
Howling Chip
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:21
Been playing daily since 10/30. Took vacation days 10/31-11/02.
All games at Regent level.

If they do not patch the game, I will still be playing it weeks and months from now. If they patch the game to fix code concepts that aren't working (you now like if sea fortresses really don't work), cool. If they patch it so culture, corruption and resources are no longer relevant, I'd rather play under the current oppressive system.

I think culture, corruption and resources are what make this game "new", challenging, and more realistic in simulating the rise and end (win or lose) of your civilization.

For me, it is not the new units, not the new combat system, not the new interface, or changes in workers, trade, or diplomacy that are making this game a "good buy, good play". They make the game appealing, as in something fresh. But its culture, corruption, and resources (although the last two are not new, they are vastly changed this time round).

Take away the changes these three attributes introduce, and its just CIV II with better graphics.

As is, the diplomacy, borders, changes to wonder and city improvement attributes, and more all make the game more stimulating. Seems like incrementals is a good word to describe it. Unlike CIV II, things aren't allowed to happen instantaneously. Nukes don't obliterate, bombers don't obliterate, wars for the most part are not decisive, techs and improvements are steps forward, not leaps. Well, except for when my great leader finishes a wonder in one turn. Anyway, I like this new paradigm.

Since they are working on a patch, and it sounds like they were working on this patch before the game was out, before they were getting Apolyton feedback, I hope that the patch does not radically change these newly introduced concepts. Reading Soren's chat info, I think he wants the patch to improve how these new concepts were originally envisioned to function.

CIV III. Yeah, I like this game. A lot.