Old November 8, 2001, 15:04   #1
SeferKoheleth
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Destroy Enemy Cities and Transfer Populations
I'm playing on Regent as the Persians in about 1800. The Zulus attacked me, which was fine with me in that I had tanks and mech infantry, and they had cavalry and riflemen. But as I mowed through Zulu territory conquering cities I found I couldn't hold them for that long. No matter how many troops I stationed in a city, within a turn or two the govenor would get deposed (and I'd lose ALL the troops I'd stationed)-- this despite me having a BIG lead in the culture race.

So I hit upon a new strategy. With my armies I'd send a flock of settlers (which can be produced cheaply). Instead of conquering, I'd destroy a city, then immediately rebuild it with my settlers. I took a few settlers together, and immediately would get a city of 6-8 people-- all highly productive and no resistance. I'd also get 15-20 new Zulu workers, most of whom I sent around building mines and clearing pollution (effectively-- though it's not nice to say, I invaded and carted back slaves). Some I dispersed through my empire-- 20 Zulus in one city causes the city to revolt but 2 Zulus in 10 cities has basically no effect. Sort of like what the ancient Assyrians did.

The only negative to this strategy is that you lose a few improvements by destroying the city. But most of the cities I conquer I find only 2 or three buildings anyway-- a very small price to pay for no chance of revolt (and losing my troops), and no unproductive resistors.
Old November 8, 2001, 17:18   #2
Poobah
Settler

Can always count on the Zulus to pick a fight, even if they cant win.
Old November 9, 2001, 09:19   #3
Sherkon
Settler

Definitely! Burn 'em down!
I have taken a number of French cities (in Warlord mode) and every six to ten turns they defect, even though the French only have two cities left on another continent and I have the strongest culture rating in the current game.
Old November 9, 2001, 09:41   #4
cort
Warlord

Local Time: 18:22
yes thats exactly the strategy I follow too. raze captured cities, build new ones with settlers, populate them with workers from your own nation (or already diminished civilizations), enslave local population and make them work at your homeland.. not the most gentle strategy but they shouldnot be rioting after all right?

by the way; in the AI chat, soren from fraxis told that among other things that affect "deposal of governers", each military unit counts as neutralizing one citizen and recommended to fill captured cities with cheap military units to minimaze the chance of revolting.. will give it a try tonight..