Old November 9, 2001, 09:07   #1
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 18:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
rubber and jungle
one question:
does clearing jungle prevent that square later from having rubber?
that is, if i clean it before i am able to see it, will it appear on that grassland (illogical) or not at all (so that i have to die of malaria for 3000 years before it appears). either answer is fine, just as long as it is definitive. thank you!
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old November 9, 2001, 09:08   #2
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 16:22
resources are pre-placed when the world is created, so the rubber is already placed before you know about it. Tearing down forests does not get rid of the resources. So yes, it will apear on the grassland.
Old November 9, 2001, 10:05   #3
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Osweld, that's what I thought as well.
But I noticed that rubber only appeared on jungle tiles, and not on former-jungle tiles ! Besides that does it rarely exist on the map I play right now (100% covered with AI and me, much jungle has been removed)
Old November 9, 2001, 11:00   #4
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

That is how it works, and I have experienced it first hand.
Old November 9, 2001, 11:06   #5
Soren Johnson
PtWDG Gathering StormC4WDG The GooniesC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 ParticipantsApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Realms Beyond
Civilization IV Lead Designer

Local Time: 11:22
Quote:
Originally posted by CyberShy
Osweld, that's what I thought as well.
But I noticed that rubber only appeared on jungle tiles, and not on former-jungle tiles ! Besides that does it rarely exist on the map I play right now (100% covered with AI and me, much jungle has been removed)
removing jungle from a rubber/coal tile does not affect the resource, whether or not you have "discovered" coal or rubber yet...
Old November 9, 2001, 11:11   #6
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 11:22
Quote:
Originally posted by Soren Johnson Firaxis
removing jungle from a rubber/coal tile does not affect the resource, whether or not you have "discovered" coal or rubber yet...
Is this also true for all resource items such as silk or spices, whether they are strategic, luxury, or consumable?
Old November 9, 2001, 11:12   #7
Pembleton
Prince

Local Time: 10:22
Quote:
Originally posted by Soren Johnson Firaxis
Well I'm glad I found this out. I was intentionally leaving some forests uncut but I will no longer do this. This was also one reason why I didn't want to automate my workers.

Thanks.
Old November 9, 2001, 12:17   #8
PMLF
Warlord

I think that would be more realistic if the rubber disappear when you destroy the jungle. Maybe Firaxis should fix it in next patch.
Old November 9, 2001, 12:25   #9
LaRusso
King

yeah but it would be a great gamble. suppose you do not have rubber and all ai civs wipe the jungle out...tricky...innit?
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old November 9, 2001, 12:44   #10
Pembleton
Prince

Local Time: 10:22
Quote:
Originally posted by PMLF
I think that would be more realistic if the rubber disappear when you destroy the jungle. Maybe Firaxis should fix it in next patch.
This would put the AI at a serious disadvantage. It cuts down all forests and jungles when it has the chance.

I also suspected that perhaps they didn't disappear after thinking they might when I noticed the AI did this.
Old November 9, 2001, 16:12   #11
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

I think its done this way to make sure resources are evenly distributed, if one dissapeared or appeared because of worker transformations it would upset the 'balance' of resource locations, they'd all be in the area where an unindustrial civ didn't clear the jungle, and not in the advanced civs area thats cleared nothing.