Old November 9, 2001, 17:14   #1
mrmorden
Settler

Local Time: 16:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Morgan isnt weak-he is in fact one of the strongest-
ive won conquest games with morgan on transcendence level, not even playong momentum style. use morgan's money wildly. his ability to buy almost any secret project, and still not be hurting for money is a big positive. ive raked in close to 5000 credits a turn before. one game i had all secret projects except merchant exchange, and still had about 7000 credits. i always play on most difficult level with morgan, go for conquests, playing builder unitl crawlers, then going hybrid for rest of game. have 40 or so drop probe teams and plain drop troops with orbital insertions and youve won. you really dont even need that many. i also never use a navy. i build about 20 sea bases, but none are attackable by naval bases. build inland seas with your formers, get good energy from tons of sea and coastal bases, and your economy will be overwhelming, as well as stable.

also something else. morgan can stock up a **** load of planet busters. make pacts with neighboors, transfer all pbs to outlying bases, break pact, about ten turns later your pbs will have took out every base. if atrocities have been lifted, then this will have no noticable, if not, you still dont have much to lose. always be the first in space as well, it helps.

so, one final thing before i go, all morgan players, unless they are going for econ win, need to run green, wealth, and whatever for future. i normally dont run anything for the first one. this nets me on average in early game, about 60 credits a turn, and 5-turn breakthroughs. which is more than enough if your not going for econ win. the -2 growth that comes with green doesnt seem to effect my game much, neither does the negative morale of wealth. also(sp games only now) not being able to pop-boom easily with morgan isnt much of a hindrance. even without golden ages, i normally have by end game 50+ average size 20 bases. may not sound like much compared to other factions, but believe me, size 20 is plenty-plenty enough for me to win conquests on transcendence with morgan-that was also with miriam, santiago, usurpers, zak, hive, deidre, as enemy factions. pretty good for morgan(money, money, money-its more valuable than most people think)

well damn i just cant stop. one last thing finally-
size 4 bases with morgan can be a blessing rather than a curse-the -5 police rate of free market is atrocious. which im sure if the normal size 7 base was applied then it would just get out of hand. morgan doesnt need commerce as much as people think, so(even though i dont think you can with -5 police)nerve-stapling is a must if your not running free market.
Old November 9, 2001, 18:03   #2
WhiteElephants
King

Local Time: 11:24
A lot of people don't like Morgan much, but I wouldn't say he's one of the weaker factions unless you're talking about SMAC here, and that's only because he can't pop boom through a golden age.

Nit picking:

Quote:
so, one final thing before i go, all morgan players, unless they are going for econ win, need to run green, wealth, and whatever for future. i normally dont run anything for the first one. this nets me on average in early game, about 60 credits a turn, and 5-turn breakthroughs.
I would think that by adding Demo to that mix you would pick up a turn or two on your tech advances and a few energy credits as well. The only draw back is that you'd be running a -3 support, which really only hurts if you're building more bases, otherwise you're only losing a mineral or two per base depending on how many non-clean units you've built for that base.

Quote:
also something else. morgan can stock up a **** load of planet busters. make pacts with neighboors, transfer all pbs to outlying bases, break pact, about ten turns later your pbs will have took out every base.
If we're talking single player here (SP) I don't think you really need to wait that long when you could dominate the world at the invnetion of choppers (Mind Machine Interface). If we're talking multiplayer (MP) here I would think it rare that anyone would let you build that many PB's without some kind of built up arsenal of their own.
Old November 9, 2001, 21:56   #3
yavoon
Warlord

hi

I feel like ppl were expecting my response to this, so here it is.

=]
Old November 9, 2001, 23:32   #4
mrmorden
Settler

everything WhiteElelephants said is true, but i wouldnt run demo unless going for econ win. -3 support isnt good at all, and imho its just not worth it unless you go econ or maybe trans.

the pb thing is a lot faster as well. even if it is more expensive. you would actually need a plan to attack with choppers. tru, u can get your first chopper before your first pb, but a pb can take out say, 4 bases, depending on opponents layout, in one turn. where as 3 or 4 choppers would take about 3 turns dpending unit strengths and your opponents garrisons. not to mention ground units for the take over as well as your opponents counter strikes. both is preferable. no morgan player who is in a close game should go without a pb. a size 40 base in the middle of enemy territory with 12 best/best garrisons, some probe teams, mind worms, producing +300 energy a turn and 50 somethin mins on a sensor array perim defense, etc. might be better off nuked. Especially if you have no conventional missiles. it would be hard to conquer, and would hurt the enemy badly. besides you should have some of those super bases of your own, so it wouldnt be that big a deal. also, you can use a pb to cut the enemy's territory in half, critically wounding their defense. there are several good uses. i always use them in sp games. of course all of this is mho.