Old November 9, 2001, 18:44   #1
Venger
King

Local Time: 10:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Broken indeed - but not beyond repair
Okay - first game, playing regent level. It's a long one - large map, multiple Civs.

Doing well, in fact better than many seem to. I was a regular winner on Civ2 Deity - in fact I tried many things to make Deity harder (tried to increase tech paradigm, etc...). So I don't struggle so much with the corruption issues in Civ3, since I saw them alot in Civ2, large maps with sprawling empire far from the palace with loads of cities - so many so that the first citizen in a new city was brutally unhappy!

I've read enough reviews here to know when a game hasn't been properly playtested, and Civ3 certainly is that. The interface isn't finished. Want to pull up the Civilopedia on the unit while looking at the build queue? Can't do it, at least with any combination of clicks I can find, unless I click another area of the City to bring up the civilopedia for that part and then navigate to the units. Things like that show that game player feedback either wasn't available or wasn't listened to.

But their are more grievous problems. Combat is just plain broken. Ranged units that bombard can't destroy - just occassionally knock off a hit point or two. The catapult in Civ2 kicks the high holy hell out of it in Civ3. Please spare me the bombardment can't kill units, ask a sailor on the Yamato, or a VC soldier in an Arclite bombing, or a German SS soldier caught in an American time on target artillery assault.

I've also witnessed very, very bad combat results. I've seen armies lose to single units, only to be knocked out 3 to zip by the next attacking solo unit. It get's worse in modern times - I understand thinking of units as placeholders, but without firepower, realism simply has gone out the window. Any unit can defeat any unit, which isn't a) realistic and b) fun. It's the phalanx battleship again.

The other problem, other than corruption, which is clearly bad but to me not as bad as it could be (having played Civ2 deity) is the problem with capturing cities and cultural defection. I *LOVE* the concept of acculturation of captured cities, it's smart and frankly about time. But I sacked Athens, and stationed an army and two legionarys in it, only to have it ON THE NEXT TURN evaporate back into Greek hands. This is just nonsensical. Unless the citizens outnumber the occupation army 3 to 1, it shouldn't occur. If the army was strong enough to take Athens, it's strong enough to keep it. The loss of the army was a give up for me - I said "that's it" and shut it down.

Now - this can all be fixed. Please don't change garrisoning requirements and acculturation, those are wonderful add ons. But combat needs attention as does the whole city changing sides thing. I don't know the game program mechanics but the comabt engine is definitely a backwards step from Civ2 in total, but with some changes can be a sizable improvement. And cultural defection, especially of captured cities, should be rethought and more difficult than it is.

Like Yin and so many have said - Civ3 seems like a diamond in the rough. But the rough shouldn't have made it to the shelves...

Venger
Old November 9, 2001, 19:15   #2
WhiteElephants
King

Local Time: 11:25
Re: Broken indeed - but not beyond repair
Quote:
Originally posted by Venger
But their are more grievous problems. Combat is just plain broken. Ranged units that bombard can't destroy - just occassionally knock off a hit point or two. The catapult in Civ2 kicks the high holy hell out of it in Civ3. Please spare me the bombardment can't kill units, ask a sailor on the Yamato, or a VC soldier in an Arclite bombing, or a German SS soldier caught in an American time on target artillery assault.
I would think that ranged units capable of destroying entire units would be highly unrealistic, though I feel that this issue should first be considered from the viewpoint of game play, and not realism. But for the sake of arguement all your examples are valid examples of realism from the perspective of a single soldier. Meaning, yes, a soldier caught in an artillery barrage is in danger of being killed, but to suggest that an entire battallion can be wiped out is far from realistic. Surely you don't think that the Civ units represent platoon sized or smaller units do you?

I'll meet you half way on this one. From playing SMAC I've felt that artillery should be a bit more effective, but I never clamored for the ability to annilate entire units.

The sole purpose of artillery bombardment is to soften hard points and cause suppression more so that its ability to maim and kill. If artillery bombardment was that effective why would anyone need combined arms to begin with?
Old November 9, 2001, 19:23   #3
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 18:25
i can reccomend you a great game - steel panters
civ 3 is not a simulation - it is a fun take on empire building.
combat is fun, tactically logical and it is indeed a matter of placeholders. please try abstracting it a bit and you will start enjoying. at some point one cannot really make it completely realistic or it would kill all the fun. people here are calling for 'realistic nukes', knowing that realistic nuclear war would end the game. period. would you want 4000 years to dissapear or would you like FUN modern combat.
i guess it is very hard to please us all. i must admit they pleased me big time.
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old November 9, 2001, 19:33   #4
Venger
King

Re: Re: Broken indeed - but not beyond repair
Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteElephants

I would think that ranged units capable of destroying entire units would be highly unrealistic, though I feel that this issue should first be considered from the viewpoint of game play, and not realism. But for the sake of arguement all your examples are valid examples of realism from the perspective of a single soldier. Meaning, yes, a soldier caught in an artillery barrage is in danger of being killed, but to suggest that an entire battallion can be wiped out is far from realistic.
Why? Have you seen an Arclite mission? How about an attack of a divisional 155mm artillery time on target mission? These missions wipe out hundreds of men. Not to mention sinking naval units...

It's simple - 4 catapult successes should destroy a defending unit. This is already a very, VERY different result than Civ2, where 4 catapult succcesses meant...4 dead defenders.

Quote:
Surely you don't think that the Civ units represent platoon sized or smaller units do you?
You don't think one catapult represents a single catapult do you?

Quote:
I'll meet you half way on this one. From playing SMAC I've felt that artillery should be a bit more effective, but I never clamored for the ability to annilate entire units.
Clamor or not, they are grossly ineffective now.

Quote:
The sole purpose of artillery bombardment is to soften hard points and cause suppression more so that its ability to maim and kill.
Artillery alone has killed more in combat than bullets. That's a simple FACT. Add in bombing and it becomes a rout. "Softening" and "Supressing" occurs when you are "killing" and "destroying".

Quote:
If artillery bombardment was that effective why would anyone need combined arms to begin with?
Which is why I didn't like the Civ2 artillery - human players simply build howitzers and flood the enemy. What fun is that? But you've taken it to the other extreme now. A simple change to allow howitzers (any ranged weapon) to knock off that final hit point goes a long way to fixing this...

Venger
Old November 9, 2001, 19:35   #5
Venger
King

Quote:
Originally posted by LaRusso
i can reccomend you a great game - steel panters
I am running SP:WAW and waiting for version 7 which is supposed to be out imminently.

Quote:
civ 3 is not a simulation - it is a fun take on empire building.
combat is fun, tactically logical and it is indeed a matter of placeholders. please try abstracting it a bit and you will start enjoying.
I do abstract it a bit, which is why I don't complain too much about a fortified pikeman in mountains defeating armor. However, the combat rules and results we see simply don't work properly, and are not an improvement over Civ2. They could be though...

Venger
Old November 9, 2001, 19:51   #6
Altuar
Warlord

Perrsonally I like it that the final HP cannot be knocked off - except for air missions against ship, but that's another story.

About arty, I will say this: They are so underpowered against the defenders (fortified in cities) of their respective eras, that they remain mostly irrelevant. To counter this in my last game, I upped regular artillery by two points up to 12, and the radar arty to 22 and then it started to make sense. That gives each about %50 chance to knock a hp or two from a defending infantry or mech. infantry, and that meant I lost far fewer tanks / modern armor in wars. I also increased the movement for radar arty to two, AND made it avaiable with rocketry and computers.

there, my two cents.
Old November 9, 2001, 20:08   #7
WhiteElephants
King

Quote:
Artillery alone has killed more in combat than bullets. That's a simple FACT. Add in bombing and it becomes a rout. "Softening" and "Supressing" occurs when you are "killing" and "destroying".
I fail to see your point. I could say the same thing that infections and disease killed more than artillery and bombing. That's a simple FACT. Yet this fails to answer why you think artillery and bombing are capable of destroying entire units. I need not point any further than the current war in Afghanistan to make my point. Granted it kills people, but that's not what we're arguing about. What we're arguing about is whether or not it's capable of destroying units that are represented in Civ, which I assume are near Corp size. Now I'll grant you that they can inflict vast amounts of damage, but you surely aren't going to march your artillery into the Stalingrad are you? Of course not, you need ground troops to go in and clean up the mess.

I don't have the game, but, again, I'll meet you half way and agree that maybe artillery needs to be stronger, but I'm not going to as far as to say that it should wipe out entire units either. Considering that people survived Hiroshima I don't think its a strech of the imagination to believe there would also be survivors of an artillery strike no matter what the size large.

Besides the gameplay repercussion of artillery deystroying units are exactly what you want to aviod that was in Civ2. I would think you'd be somewhat happy.
Old November 9, 2001, 20:18   #8
WhiteElephants
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Altuar
About arty, I will say this: They are so underpowered against the defenders (fortified in cities) of their respective eras, that they remain mostly irrelevant.
And perhaps rightfully so. Depending upon the era you are referring to I would think that trying to hit a target, or otherwise, in a populated city is no simple task. It wasn't until the last 30 years that computer and satellite technology has allowed for the guided strikes you see today. You have to imagine that these units are dug into bunkers and whatever else they can imagine for cover. Stalingrad was block to block fighting for a reason.

How many air strikes against bridges and other infrastructure in Vietnam were effective? How come London didn't capitulate to Hitler's Blitz? The list goes on.

Come on people, you are making unrealistic demands in the name of realism.
Old November 9, 2001, 20:43   #9
Altuar
Warlord

Quote:
How many air strikes against bridges and other infrastructure in Vietnam were effective? How come London didn't capitulate to Hitler's Blitz? The list goes on.

Come on people, you are making unrealistic demands in the name of realism.
Well, OK, you have a point. A well made one.

Yet, let's think in civ terms. Purely gameplay terms that is.

a) there is arty.
b) most (%90) fighting against the AI occurs against or in defense of cities. On further qualification, if it is neccessary, in the late medieval era onwards, where the permissable unit density allows humans to mass forces.
c)Arty is useless is those conditions.

So,

Arty, if it is ever to be relevant to the game, must be be souped up. Of course, thanks to the editor, even if its a personal choice it may remain so: a choice.
Old November 9, 2001, 20:53   #10
WhiteElephants
King

That's depeding upon how you play the game. I assume you hole up all your units inside the city, yes? It would seem, though I don't own the game, that taking advantage of other fortifications would be essential becasue of the, as some claim, extreme cap on the amount of cities caused by rampant corruption. I was hoping that forts, bunkers, airbases, etc., would actually be useful in this game as opposed to their extremely limited functions in SMAC.

Thoughts?

Edit: I was also under the impression that the AI like to mass units on your borders before launching an attack. A fire base in the area would seem appropriate to counter this. Of course, when you taking a city you going to need infantry. SMAC gave infantry a bonus when attacking a base square, but was largely irrelevent once you achieved airpower. Did this bonus carry over to Civ3?
Old November 9, 2001, 21:42   #11
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 16:25
I have to come down on the side of Firaxis here.

Combat is not broken. Soren said in the interview it is all in the eye of the beholder, and he is right. Even when I had briefly complained about combat, I knew it my gut it was not really broken, it was just different.

Essentially, outdated units in Civ3 are allowed to have a fighting chance against superior units because you wouldn't like it if you're on the receiving end of an army of Tanks when all you have to fight with are infantry and Artillery because you didn't get any oil in your map. It is a balancing measure, and I think something we will all come to appreciate once we get used to it.--in other words, advanced units has had their attack/defend points cut down a bit so that the difference between a tank and a rifleman isn't as pronounced. It's not realistic, sure. But ruling a civilization for 6000 years isn't realistic either.

Also, ranged units SHOULD NOT be able to kill units. In Civ2, cataputs and howitzers attacked like any unit, they had no range for bombardment. Having a ranged unit that can bombard an enemy city, or an enemy unit in safety and be able to kill them would be highly overpowered. Again, think of it being used against you. If you have border cities facing off and the enemy built a few artillery in their cities and bombarded your cities and units and destroying them, i think we'd be hearing threads of combat being overpowered. It's a catch 22, Firaxis can't win either way.

Last edited by dexters; November 9, 2001 at 22:14.
Old November 9, 2001, 23:26   #12
Altuar
Warlord

Quote:
That's depeding upon how you play the game. I assume you hole up all your units inside the city, yes? It would seem, though I don't own the game, that taking advantage of other fortifications would be essential becasue of the, as some claim, extreme cap on the amount of cities caused by rampant corruption. I was hoping that forts, bunkers, airbases, etc., would actually be useful in this game as opposed to their extremely limited functions in SMAC.
Thoughts?
Actually, its not me but the AI. I like building up forts to protect my borders in case of a sudden attack so as to protect my workers and because it looks "cool" and to keep my border cities' improvement getting pillaged but now that the ZoCs are effectively removed, the AI doesnt take any heed of them and shoots straight towards the cities on the border. I of course garrison the forts with a piece of additional arty but that doesnt seem to deter the AI while my units take potshots at them. Of course, if I am lucky, I get to knock a single hp out of those units. Which makes the forts useless (given the reasons to build them) since they give a measly %25 defense bonus anyway.

For the corruption cap, the AI doesnt seem to care about this either.

As for AI building forts and trying to create a front line, forget it. It only happens when a human attack fails and the AI overproduces you (the frontline, not the forts). In that case, if the human throws units piecemeal, as does the AI, the result is a shifting frontline. But for that to happen the unit density has to be low enough (otherwise a city would be taken in either side), which unfortunately leaves little room for arty units that cost as much as regular combat units and are much less effective and has to be protected to boot. One thing to note: Although forts are supposed to give any unit garrisoned in them ZoCs (which work differently: instead of entirely blocking an enemy unit, it allows the controller to take a potshot, i.e, one chance to knock off one hp from the violator)

Yes, the AI is more capable, but not by much. It still does not mass units for an attack nor does it recognize you doing the same. And since none of the premises actually occur in the game, or they do occur but does not draw the rational reaction from the AI, arty, as it is, remains useless.

Observations drawn from 4 games on Monarch and 1 game on Regent.

So to answer your question: no, I dont hole up my units within the cities. But the AI does. How many wars do you think the AI initiates as being the aggressor? Yup, keep them happy with relatively negligible amounts of gold when you're weaker and smash em when you're the bully.

One thing to note: I removed air units from the game, due to 'the bug.' Perhaps the AI has some built in code from initating wars without air support, hence my experience. But this would run counter to Soren Johnson's claim to otherwise; that is, the AI being adaptive.

Last edited by Altuar; November 9, 2001 at 23:31.
Old November 9, 2001, 23:34   #13
Stromprophet
Warlord

I have one big question.

Why can't I have all 16 civs on my Foriegn Advisors screen? Is there anyway around this.

Right now I have to wait to be contacted, or have ships ourside their ports so I can contact them. Am I missing something?
Old November 9, 2001, 23:39   #14
Stromprophet
Warlord

Another question, City Govs, how useful are they? I like to set most of my special citizens to science, can a governer do that for all my cities?

So far, the auto gov has been ok, but doesn't always start buildling what I would like it to.
Old November 9, 2001, 23:51   #15
Madine
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Warlord

Shift + right click on a portrait to change it.

Also there's a really really really really really small D in the lower right hand corner of the screen. Also there's ctrl + D.
Old November 10, 2001, 00:45   #16
Venger
King

Quote:

I fail to see your point. I could say the same thing that infections and disease killed more than artillery and bombing.
Alas we cannot build a disease unit. However, you continue to assert that bombardment by sea, land, or air, does not destroy enemy targets. When in fact it does. What it cannot do is occupy land.

Quote:
That's a simple FACT. Yet this fails to answer why you think artillery and bombing are capable of destroying entire units.
Because they DO. Arclite missions wiped out entire NVA units. Naval units are obscenely vulnerable to aircraft. There are accounts of Allied artillery creating ghost zones. IT IS NOT UNREASAONBLE.[/quote]

Quote:
I need not point any further than the current war in Afghanistan to make my point.
Huh? We are running maybe 100 sorties a day with little in theatre ordinance. What's going on in Afghanistan is light but targeted bombing. Look at a full force campaign, i.e. Iraq, where allied air and MLRS rendered resistance in places non-existant.

Quote:
Granted it kills people, but that's not what we're arguing about. What we're arguing about is whether or not it's capable of destroying units that are represented in Civ, which I assume are near Corp size. Now I'll grant you that they can inflict vast amounts of damage, but you surely aren't going to march your artillery into the Stalingrad are you?
In Civ2 neither air nor naval units could occupy. And seeing as you think units in Civ are Corps size (not likely), any unit will consist of more than just artillery.

Quote:
Of course not, you need ground troops to go in and clean up the mess.
There can be nothing left to clean.

Quote:
I don't have the game, but, again, I'll meet you half way and agree that maybe artillery needs to be stronger, but I'm not going to as far as to say that it should wipe out entire units either.
In Civ2, 4 artillery can take a city with 3 defenders. In Civ3, artillery can at best knock down the defenders one point, which they will heal during the AI turn. In other words, they do NOTHING. They are broken.

Air power can render entire armored formations combat ineffective. Hence, destroyed. Artillery can render infantry combay ineffective, hence destroyed. Air power can outright sink ships. This is not represented in the Civ3 combat system worth a damn.

Quote:
Considering that people survived Hiroshima I don't think its a strech of the imagination to believe there would also be survivors of an artillery strike no matter what the size large.
Hiroshima wasn't a capable combat center after the bombing - so no, it didn't survive as a combat effective city.

Quote:
Besides the gameplay repercussion of artillery deystroying units are exactly what you want to aviod that was in Civ2. I would think you'd be somewhat happy.
Artillery and bombardment units are for the most part useless in Civ3. And that sucks. In fact, Civ2 spies are more powerful in damaging units than Civ3 units are. And that's a joke.

Venger
Old November 10, 2001, 01:23   #17
CyberGnu
King

Dexter, the combat system is definetly broken. The problem is that any unit can defeat any other unit. There are three problems with this:

1) It is not consistent with a game called 'civilization'. You and me both know what happen to the Polish cavalry when they charged the german tanks...

2) It makes the game 'uncontrollable'. What I mean is that you don't have a reasonable expectation as to what is going to happen. If my knight attacks a spearman in the open, he might get killed. If he attacks a fortified infantry on a mountain, he might win. And I guess I'll get someone screaming at me that this is a feature, not a bug... War is chancy etc etc. Well, I agree that there shouldn't be completely linear. Once in a blue moon a tank might fail to kill a spearman. But not to the point when I avoid putting my tanks in the open because I'm afraid of the enemiy knights... Civ 2 handled this aspect pretty well, I think. If a tank suprised your rifleman in the open, you knew he was toast. Once a game or so, however, he would survive with one hp left... and you would look at the screen and breathe a sigh of relief Here you never feel the relief.... More an irritation when he dies.

3) It makes defense damn near impossible. In one of my games on deity level barbarians spawned horsemen faster than I could build hoplites. I had a wall around my town, a fortified hoplite (defense three) and yet it only took five horsemen (attack 3) to kill the hoplite... Which was spawned every five turns or so. It took me ten turns to build a hoplite. You do the math. This is especially annoying in the ancient age with the roving knights... The computer sends in a single knight and attacks your town (which since there is no ZOC you can't really actively defend anymore). If he fails, he'll retreat with one hp. But there is about a 50/50 chance he'll succeed... I don't think this is right. I should not loose a city because of a crap-shoot attack like that... At least not half the time.

Seriously, what was wrong with the combat system in civ 2? Keep the artillery the way it is for landunit, I quite like how it works in the modern age. Let bombardment kill sea units, so modern naval warfare acquires some semblence of sanity. And of course, keep the 'one unit killed doesn't kill the entire stack'. Or better yet, copy CTP's stack system.
Old November 10, 2001, 01:53   #18
Cyanide
Settler

Once again, I find I must agree with the overall sentiment of the original posting. After the first game, I never produced another artillery unit - why bother? Now, I agree that a single artillery shouldn't destroy another unit (duh), but 3 or 4 should. Just on a resource commitment alone, that seems fair (it took the time and resources for me to build 4 units to kill just one). Keeping a city, on the other hand, doesn't seem so great. I'm not talking about realism here - why must realism enter into every Civ war debate? To me, there are many more things than just unrealistic combat to complain about in all Civ games. I'm talking about game balance. And on the subject of broken combat in general, I'd have to agree again (God - it seems like all I do is agree with the CivIII bashers). I can't tell ya how tired I am of seeing pikemen hold off my armor rush...
Old November 10, 2001, 02:32   #19
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

The problem with civ2s system of hitpoints and firepower is that it makes too much sense = difficult to understand = too intimidating for the mass moron norm consumer.
Old November 10, 2001, 03:11   #20
Altuar
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Zylka
The problem with civ2s system of hitpoints and firepower is that it makes too much sense = difficult to understand = too intimidating for the mass moron norm consumer.
But the same is true for the "solution;" the only thing different is that spearmen defeating tanks dont make sense for both the average consumer and stat-maximizing power player.

Beside that, firepower system in Civ II hid behind images. An average player, not wishing to look at stats and whats meant by them could figure out that a tank is more powerful than cavalary.
Old November 10, 2001, 06:02   #21
wervdon
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

You know all these people saying bombardment/bombing can't kill units in real life, your right. Thing is neither can ground troops vs ground troops. There are always survivors in any battle, and I doubt there's been too many cases in history where _every_ man in a army gets destroyed in combat (some escape, defect, desert, etc). The important thing is the army gets broken and is no longer effective. If your going to take this logical argument for air bombardment or canon bombardment to the extreme then at least finish it up and say no unit should ever be killed because its impossible to kill "all" of them. Course, that'd make for a fairly boring game.

Course I dont want them to totally change bombardment anyways, I just want the option for lethality to it in the editor so people can set their rules to suit themselves
Old November 10, 2001, 07:33   #22
Sikander
King

Local Time: 09:25
Again an argument has arisen which fails to point out the real problem. In this case the real problem is again a strategic game trying to simulate tactical features on a strategic scale. Rather than either:

1) Using army sized units that represent combined arms forces and letting these units act on the strategic map.

or

2) Allowing players to build their own combined arms armies made of of components which then fight a tactical battle on a larger scale (ie smaller area) map.

Civ 3 instead retains the design flaw of Civ 1 and 2 by making the strategic map do double duty as a tactical map. This makes old fantasy games like Master of Magic and Sword of Aragon much more realistic and enjoyable in this aspect. Both of these games allowed you to build armies, and then fight tactical battles with these armies on a map which represented one square on the strategic map. The result was a satisfying strategic game that gave you a lot of flavor of the tactical combat without losing too much focus and becoming a completely tactical game.

I do give Civ 3 some points for trying to improve the game, they eliminated zones of control to some extent (no more phalanxes built in a 10,000 population city keeping a panzer corps from moving through thousands of square miles of territory for instance). They included the army unit, which allows grouping of units together, though from my experience these units are too rare to be truly useful, much less the paradigm shift I think is necessary.

Let's face the facts. A game on the scale of Civilization should not have artillery units at all. They should be small components of armies. Their range (with the possible exception of modern missle units) should not allow them to even fire out of their own square, and their numbers would be miniscule. The real failure is the concept of transplanting tactical combat on to a strategic map at a strategic time scale. This was a failure of Civ 1, and is merely a sad legacy that has plagued the entire Civ series with the exception of Master of Magic. (I never played CTP, so perhaps there is another exception).

As for the argument whether long range firepower can achieve decisive strategic results by itself (ie without ground units), my opinion is that this is still not possible where there is any cover and concealment available to the targeted units. Thus in the desert, or at sea you may well be able to annihilate an enemy force, you will be a good deal less likely to do so where the enemy is using cover and concealment, and even less likely to do so where a lack of friendly ground forces allows the enemy to disperse as well. A quick look at the bombing of Serbia, where a miniscule casualty rate was suffered by Serb forces should tell the story.

A decent analogy would be American Football, where a team could limit itself entirely to a passing game. It might win against a really weak opponent, but that opponent would certainly be able to take countermeasure like pulling it's linebackers out and replacing them with more defensive backs, and sending it's linemen on a balls to the walls pass rush on the opposing quarterback. By mixing the threats of pass and rush you can make both phases of your game work better. By limiting yourself to one set of options the opposite is true.

Thus the threat of a ground attack forces the enemy to concentrate his forces, which makes them more vulnerable to bombardment. The fact of a ground attack makes the enemy more vulnerable again by forcing him to move, which means he has to leave his protective bunkers and become a good deal more visible to boot. The Arclite strikes in Vietnam, while very effective, never destroyed units of the scale that I assume exist in Civ (Divisions in the modern era), nor did they do so outside of the context of friendly ground units operating in the same or adjacent squares (in Civ parlence). I do think that they in fact knock a number of hit points off those divisions however.
Old November 10, 2001, 07:33   #23
Tani
Settler

Local Time: 08:25
Quote:
Soren said in the interview it is all in the eye of the beholder
artistically, no contest, it can be as remote from reality as it can be and still be called completed. for realism, it's just broken relative to civ2, because it actually get less real. and yes, more challenging, but you haven't try the setting that let ai starts at future tech 1 while you start with none. i said it already, but i will say it again, good games are challenging, but it doesn't make any challenge a good game.

well, it is not worthless, but i expected a lot (ok, may be too much for current technology, who knows) since it has been such a long while from civ2. i can accept the defense on the defects only if this is pseudo civilization, not civilization.
Old November 10, 2001, 08:44   #24
Venger
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sikander
I do give Civ 3 some points for trying to improve the game, they eliminated zones of control to some extent (no more phalanxes built in a 10,000 population city keeping a panzer corps from moving through thousands of square miles of territory for instance).
This hurts the game by making defense nearly impossible. ZOC not only includes covering the concept of a fighting radius for a group, but also the limitations presented by a grid map. ZOC should be back, although ZOC should expire if the unit is more than one age apart. Hence, your pikemen cannot stop a tank unit, but a musketeer can.

The solution, of course, is to deal with the musketeer...

Quote:
They included the army unit, which allows grouping of units together, though from my experience these units are too rare to be truly useful, much less the paradigm shift I think is necessary.
I'm actually racking these great leaders up (I think at least 5 in my current game, as the (what else?) Romans), and I've determined -

Armies suck. (Sounds like a great title to a new thread...)

I can advance faster and do more with three legionarys than with a three legionary army. Send my army against a city, sure, I may kill a unit, the AI will rush build another. After two of these, my army has to withdraw to heal or risk losing the great leader to the broken combat system.

A real army should pool hit points AND give a +1 attack bonus for each unit in the army. This would more accurately portray the effects of a combined force army. Fighting three people at once is loads harder than three people one at a time...which is what the Army pretty much does.

Rush building, on the other hand, rocks like a motherflanker... had I realized this earlier on, my game (still on my first game, it's a LONG one) might be over with all the wonders I could have rush built...

Quote:
As for the argument whether long range firepower can achieve decisive strategic results by itself (ie without ground units), my opinion is that this is still not possible where there is any cover and concealment available to the targeted units.
This in and of itself is considered in the game (or should be), units in cover are less apt to be damaged by a bombing run. However:

Let's assume an enemy unit is fortified in a forest hex. If I send three bombers (which is conceptually equivalent to a year long campaign by 3 bomber wings), and bombard with three artillery, I should likely knock out the unit. And why shouldnt I? I cannot think of a single unit that could withstand a yearlong Arclite and constant artillery , times three - they may not be all destroyed but they'd be hors de combat...

Quote:
Thus in the desert, or at sea you may well be able to annihilate an enemy force, you will be a good deal less likely to do so where the enemy is using cover and concealment, and even less likely to do so where a lack of friendly ground forces allows the enemy to disperse as well. A quick look at the bombing of Serbia, where a miniscule casualty rate was suffered by Serb forces should tell the story.
Again, this is built in to the defensive bonus - it takes more to destroy an in-mountain unit that on plains.

Quote:
The Arclite strikes in Vietnam, while very effective, never destroyed units of the scale that I assume exist in Civ (Divisions in the modern era), nor did they do so outside of the context of friendly ground units operating in the same or adjacent squares (in Civ parlence).
A bomber unit should be considered an Arclite mission. Now mind you, in Civ3, this will only damage a unit, not kill it. Which I don't disagree with. But the THIRD arclite hit in a row ought to finish him off.

Also, I'd have preferred a 50/50/25 for bombardment - 50% off first strike, 50% off second strike, 50% of third strike - with a 25% minimum on a hit. Thus, three strikes and youre out. Of course, not all would be successful - likely a fortified unit may require six strikes...of course, with the 5 hit point rule (!?!?!), that's not doable...

BTW, what was so wrong with the SMAC general rules for combat? They evolved from Civ2 and while they had some problems were vastly superior to the 3/4/5 hitpoint elite/veteran/regular Civ3 deal...

Venger
Old November 10, 2001, 08:56   #25
Wrong_shui
Warlord

My first post so be gentle.

Id be happy that you couldnt kill units with bombardment as long as it had a chance at damaging all units on that tile, as they're all round the area makes sense they'd all get hit.

I think this bombarding thing has made cruise missiles useless, theres just no need for them.
Old November 10, 2001, 09:27   #26
squid
Warlord

Though collateral damage would be a very good feature, I see no problem with civ2's combat system. The only real bug is in handling the planes. and that's going to get fixed. I really do like the game, and for all the Firaxians out there: I think everyone was expecting walking on water in civ2 ... don't be so worried about all of these whiners.
Old November 10, 2001, 09:40   #27
Tani
Settler

Local Time: 08:25
Quote:
Originally posted by squid

I think everyone was expecting walking on water in civ2 ... don't be so worried about all of these whiners.
to the contrary, i believe people don't want anything magical, or miraculous. rather, more realism than civ2, not less. but i am starting to feel that may be civ was always intended to be in the fantasy genre.