Old November 9, 2001, 19:39   #1
Gaius Marius
Civilization IV Creators
Warlord

Local Time: 12:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hey. This diplomacy system works!
Heh. Stupid Bismarck. You never bargained for a multifront war when you attacked, did you. Bizzatches.

Old November 9, 2001, 21:17   #2
Monoriu
Warlord

Local Time: 16:25
Nice alliance

Now, how do you make sure that you, instead of your allies, get the spoils of war?
Old November 9, 2001, 21:43   #3
Enigma
Prince

He he "spoils of war"... the more I play this game the more I think of this as an oxymoron! Who wants cities that suck income and produce no more than 1 shield/1commerce? I have been going with colonies a lot more recently... cities are terrible if away from your capital.

Very nice alliances though, the AI seems to treat each other the same way the treat the human, they just usually hate me because I am so powerful
Old November 9, 2001, 21:48   #4
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

The diplomacy system is one of the best things for Civ3.

When I first heard of Civilization and how you could negotiate with rival leaders, I had this very high concept interface in mind. Obviously, Civ1 and Civ2 and the computing power of the day never allowed for what i had envisioned.

Civ3 comes the closest, and that's saying alot, especially when you consider the fact that the leap from civ1 to civ2, in terms of diplomacy was almost non existent.

Civ3 is really the first attempt to really renovate how we view diplomacy.
Old November 9, 2001, 22:12   #5
Monoriu
Warlord

Enigma:

At least we get more resources.

Another things is, Firaxis has said they will tune down corruption in the first patch. See their website. In the meantime, you can edit corruption in the editor.

Dexter:

I agree the diplomacy in civ3 is great, but its certainly not the best. Try Europa Universalis. EU 2 has gone gold already and should be out soon.
Old November 9, 2001, 22:38   #6
smellymummy
King

Local Time: 08:25
it seems to be real easy in this game to form these types of aliances, at least in the past few games I've played. Whenever a stronger force goes to war with me, I create military aliances with just about every other civ. If you have the right goodies, it's simple to get help.

In the last game I played, it was one super-continent. Only 2 civs directly went at war with me. Both died very quickly after forming military aliances.

Also I agree about the colonies... at some point when the cities are just too far, and it's not really a good location to support another batch of cities (with the palace for example), colonies gets the resources I need - with a fort and some defensive units. The AI doesnt even bother to build cities there in most cases anyway - and if they do, they are hard pressed to grow any culture.
Old November 9, 2001, 22:51   #7
Gaius Marius
Civilization IV Creators
Warlord

Should have waited another turn to take the screenshot - I got the Japanese to join in as well.

But, even better, As soon as these alliances ran out, I parlayed with the Germans. They were understandably getting their rears kicked, so they begged for peace, paying hundreds of gold and a tech for it. On the next turn, they attacked the Greeks, with whom I have a Mutual Protection Pact, FORCING (smile sheepishly) me to declare war on them again, keeping the cash.
Old November 11, 2001, 13:41   #8
Gaius Marius
Civilization IV Creators
Warlord

I ended up losing this game due to German invasion. Embarrassed as heck...
Old November 12, 2001, 20:54   #9
Enigma
Prince

What difficulty level? I am having no problems playing on monarch, including conquering. Occaisionally I will do a turn reload if I lose a city with my entire army in it to cultural subversion
(once I lost *3* armies, 30 planes, 10 mechanized inf, 15 tanks and about 10 workers when a city subverted!)
I try to avoid multi-front wars until I get railroads, that allows you to fight on two fronts really easily, and/or counter drops. The biggest transport shipment I have seen was about 12 units, but rails allowed me to marshal my forces and destroy all the units in 1 turn.
Old November 13, 2001, 03:55   #10
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 18:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Monoriu
Enigma:

At least we get more resources.

Another things is, Firaxis has said they will tune down corruption in the first patch. See their website. In the meantime, you can edit corruption in the editor.

Dexter:

I agree the diplomacy in civ3 is great, but its certainly not the best. Try Europa Universalis. EU 2 has gone gold already and should be out soon.
cmon i was on EU beta team but diplomacy there is basically a hard bribing work to get the minus into a plus. nothing personal nor random....plus you have to write down all pact expirations to hijack an ally yet you are still arsed if the war prolongs the alliance....
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old November 13, 2001, 04:09   #11
Earthling7
Mac
Prince

Local Time: 17:25
This is great. I've had similar things happen. The Russians attacked and I formed MPP with three other civs. Catherine never knew what hit her

Territory wars are not as important as in previous civs Good! This is more realistic. An efficient country is better than a far flung bunch of unhappy cities.