Old November 10, 2001, 02:54   #1
Yook
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Colonies & Culture Questions
Two relatively quick questions:

I wasn't really paying attention during my second game when it happened, but it looked like the colony I had built so I'd have some horses to play with before my borders had time to expand disappeared once my borders overtook it. So, if the colony disappeared, what happened to that population point? Did it go away? Did it get absorbed into the nearest city?

In my first game, I had the dominant culture and was sandwiched between three civs (2 to the north, 1 to the south). I never did get a city take over with culture. Anybody know of any specifics on how/when such a takeover occurs?

All in all, I'm having a fun time with Civ3, and though it has its flaws (which have been very adroitly pointed out by the folks on the forum), I must admit I find the general complaints by most people a bit amusing and a bit perplexing. Especially the comparisons to CtP1 & 2. However, since I didn't play either, and thus can't say anything good or bad about them in comparison to Civ3, I'll just leave it at this: give yourself another week or two to figure out the game mechanics and various strategies. I don't think Civ3 is nearly as horrible as some of you think it is at this time. And something tells me you won't either, once you're comfortable with the game.

Last thing: corruption is a bit much. Guh.

-Yook
Old November 10, 2001, 08:35   #2
Terry M
Settler

Local Time: 11:26
Colony
How did you create a colony...I've read the rules, tried it, and no go...can you help?

I've lost a city, gained a city in different games through culture.

You want the closest city/ies to produce lots of culture....

and YES...corruption is TOO high!
Old November 10, 2001, 09:09   #3
RickBlaine
Chieftain

When your worker is on a tile outside your borders that contains a strategic resource or luxury, you can issue the Build Colony order, which will be in the top row of the order icons at the bottom of the screen.

BTW, I am not sure if gaining cities by culture is depends on total culture, culture of the closest cities, or (most likely) a combination of both. I have gained quite a few cities through culture, but they were always on the borders of my empire and pretty far from my highest culture producing cities (though the nearest cities generally had all of the culture producing improvements available). Just one of the many items I wish Firaxis gave more information on.
Old November 10, 2001, 09:10   #4
Venger
King

Local Time: 10:26
You create a colony with a worker - send him to a resource that is outside your city limits, and you will get the option to produce a colony. Now, that resource is available to your Civ even if a city is not using the square.

Note that I think the resource square still must be attached by a road to your Civ, but doesn't have to be within the city radius...

Venger
Old November 10, 2001, 16:36   #5
Yook
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:26
I know some folks have had poor results or experiences with the colonies. I have actually enjoyed using them, they have helped me out right at the beginning and the "loss" of one population point was well worth having access to a strategic resource for a few extra turns during the early game.

I'm wondering, however, what happens to a colony once your borders catch up to it. It looks like it disappears. Does this mean the population point used to create it gets reabsorbed into the nearest city? Or is this population point lost for good? Anybody know?

-Yook
Old November 10, 2001, 17:34   #6
Trachmyr
Warlord

AKAIK, the worker is lost once the colony is "absorbed" by borders as I have never seen a corresponding increase in city population. And as I'm sure you know, the worker dosen't reappear.
Old November 10, 2001, 17:38   #7
Venger
King

Local Time: 10:26
Buh and Bye
Your colony is eliminated when your border expands to encompass it, as it no longer needs to exist since your border and road system do what the colony did...

Venger