Old November 10, 2001, 03:52   #1
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 18:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Low science, quick Monarchy tips!
First no note!

Regardless of how many science you got, you can't discover advance slower than for 32 turns.

Some sciences cost more then others.

Polytheisam & Monarchy are costly (compared to Iron Working or Code of Laws)

Now when you dicover preqisites for Polytheisam, you will notice that you'll need 25+ turns to discover it (at least on higher diffculties).

So, drop your science rate on 10 or 20%, you'll research it in 32 turns.

Now keep that way and BUY other advances for that ALL EXTRA MONEY you'll make.

Do same for Monrchy.

Don't trade your Polytheisam & Monarchy.

After some time, you will first get Monarchy, which will gurantee better economic & give you time to finish Handing Gardens (good Wonder at higher diffculties).

Second tip:
After you have enough cities, you could buy a Forbidden palace.
If you haven't discoverd advances needed for some Woder, just start builing F. Palace (or maybe ordinary Palace?), and after you get needed advance, just swich to wanted woner.

Third tip:
Just improve 3 best tiles near city + make road to luxury resourse (if in a city radius, which is rare at start)

Then add worker to city, wich will give you more pop & help you to build first settler early.

Later, after you built several cities, just rebuild worker & start building tile improvments.

P.S.
This last tip is not mine, it's from my younger brother (one year younger)
I still have to test it!
Old November 10, 2001, 09:34   #2
DaXX
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:26
Yes! Yes! Yes!!!! put the sliders as low as possible to keep your citizens from revolting and the tech to be at least researching. Do mass trades, for all of their techs... last game i traded 4 techs for 110 gold and my territory map. At the time i was about +15 on gold, just waiting for my friendly neighbors to hurry up and get some more techs!!!
Old November 10, 2001, 11:49   #3
squid
Warlord

I'd prefer to do the exact opposite and sell my science, this way I would actually have the ability to research on my own and get ahead of them technologically.
Old November 10, 2001, 13:35   #4
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 18:26
In that case, you won't get much gold from techs.

If you ask me, AI is selling/buying techs for to low amount of gold.
Old November 10, 2001, 15:45   #5
Special_K
Settler

Local Time: 11:26
I research the techs quickly then sell them to the AI. This gives me a steady income and allows me to keep my science rate at ~90%. I've gotten as high as 75 gold per turn plus a nice lump sum from other civs. Often I will have +300 gold/turn with 90% science and 10% luxery.
Old November 10, 2001, 15:55   #6
Special_K
Settler

Here's the thread I saw it described in: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=33053
Old November 10, 2001, 16:25   #7
Jason
Warlord

I've had success staying with despotism with a minimum science rate for 32-turn bonus, until the ancient era was over. Once I got a few other civs giving me per-turn donations for techs, I changed to a 100 percent science rating, using per-turn donations from opposing civs to finance the entire affair. I didn't develop Monarchy simply because I wanted to get out of the era ASAP, and Republic was the government I'd rather have.

If they fix the diplomatic system so that you can't always swindle opposing civs with tech-money transactions, this won't work as well however. As it stands now, you can use foreign civ's income to do your research, which you can then sell to them and repeat. It almost guarantees a constant tech edge.
Old November 10, 2001, 17:02   #8
Shadowstrike
Emperor

I find that trading for tech with gold is no laughing matter, you should strive to gain as much tech as possible by trading tech or gold for it, and when you get ahead, start selling some to the other civs for 100 gold a pop. Let the money roll in.