Old November 10, 2001, 11:43   #1
Kaak
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 10:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Tech Tree limitations.
It is disappointing that Firaxis decided to divide the techs completely into ages, where you have to discover all of teh techs of an age to move on to the next. In civ2, your tech path was one of the most important strategic choices you had to make. Now, it doesn't really matter as much. I feel that it reduces some on the complexity and intricateness of gameplay and the game overall.

The worst thing about this? It appears to be one of those things that can't be fixed...

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."
Old November 10, 2001, 11:47   #2
kmj
Prince

Local Time: 11:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
you don't have to discover all the techs of an age. Some are optional, though I don't have a listing in front of me, so I'm not sure how many. For example, you can get into the industrial age without "Free Artistry", since it's a dead end. (again, I think, but I'm not exactly sure)... I like the idea of having ages, though I haven't really looked at it enough to know if this is the best (or worst) way to implement it. Probably somewhere in between.